Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Thursday April 10th Minor League Updates

Re: Thursday April 10th Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    He needs to be released, this is just ridiculous. He's had a ton of opportunities to get it together, Krivsky just needs to give it up - this guy was a lemon to trade for.
    Majewski 0.2 4 3 3 1 1 1 18.90

I hope that we don't see him back up in this century. Can he be sent down to Sarasota or Chattanooga, the tip of Argentina?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-10-2008 at 10:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Majewski is getting absolutely scorched right now. He's faced three batters and has given up a homer, a double, and a single.

Performances like this will help keep Majewski out of the Reds bullpen, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    I was hoping for a performance from Majewski that was good enough to land him in somebody else's bullpen - maybe Pants will take him back if we agree to drop the grievence
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-10-2008 at 11:30 PM.

With the departure of Salmon and Cout, I'd guess that Maj will be among the next to go. The Reds seem to be focusing their high minor league relief efforts on another group. Bray, McBeth, Pelland (maybe), Roenicke, Viola seem to be next in line.

I don't think we need be concerned that Maj will be with the Reds again. He's been hit extremely hard in just about every AAA appearance this year.

Guy was never the same pitcher with the Reds organization. I don't know if it's the injury or whatever, but he hasn't been effective from the first day of that trade.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-11-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Dragons find new heroes in 8-1 victory
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Friday, April 11, 2008

DAYTON — Both Justin Reed and Mike McKennon were pulled aside after batting practice late Thursday, April 10, and offered hitting advice.

On one side of the batting cage, Dragons manager Donnie Scott and Reds infield coordinator Billy Doran worked with Reed, then took him to the inside cage at Fifth Third Field to work with him some more. Hitting coach Darren Bragg latched onto McKennon, pulling him into the coaches room for a video session.

Gratification was instant as the Dragons beat Fort Wayne 8-1 for a four-game sweep. Reed and McKennon each collected three hits, including two doubles by McKennon, who knocked in a run, scored one and raised his batting average from .185 to .250. Reed's two line-drive singles and a bunt single helped him score twice as he raised his average from .120 to .207.

"I know how to play this game," said Reed, who struck out 13 times in his first 25 at-bats. "The most frustrating thing is knowing you can do it and not doing it."

Scott and Doran worked on Reed's grip, among other things.

McKennon had not been striking out, but Scott noticed he used more of a line-drive swing.

"I'm still struggling a bit against left-handed pitchers, but I went in and looked at video with Bragg," McKennon said. "I had been late with the bat a lot, and looking at that stuff helped."

Reed and McKennon's hitting backed the pitching of Luis Montano, Jeff Jeffords and Joseph Krebs, and for at least one night, the Dragons didn't have to rely on shortstop Todd Frazier (one hit) or third baseman Brandon Waring (two hits, two RBIs, two runs).

"We'll help them out," McKennon said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

Belisle pitches Lookouts to win

By: David Uchiyama

Matt Belisle belittled the Birmingham Barons.

The Cincinnati Reds pitcher made a rehab start on his way back to the parent club and provided the Chattanooga Lookouts pitching staff with a bit of rest Thursday night.

Belisle capped his complete-game performance by snaring a comebacker in the Lookouts’ 6-3 victory at AT&T Field.

“He threw the ball outstanding tonight,” Lookouts manager Mike Goff said. “If there was any question about his health, I think it was answered tonight.”

The 27-year-old former Braves prospect allowed two earned runs, struck out three and walked no one. After allowing a first-inning run, he set down 12 Barons in a row. The 13th got a broken-bat single.

“I thought it was a good outing, but I don’t know about great,” said Belisle, who was put on the Reds’ disabled list on March 31 with a sore right forearm. “I thought I’d mix it up and pound the zone. I got away with a few mistakes.”

Belisle’s first pitch of the night motored at 92 mph, and he was still touching 89 on the radar gun in the final inning. He allowed the Lookouts relief pitchers to do nothing but catch. Not a one warmed up.

“That was the biggest thing he did for us,” Goff said. “Our bullpen was worked pretty hard in the first seven games of the season. What he did for our bullpen was huge.”

Belisle watched the exciting fifth inning from the dugout and had a movie scene pop into his head.

With runners on the corners, the Lookouts’ Eric Eymann crushed a shot to the left-field wall. B.J. Szymanski, motoring around the bases, wound up two steps behind Tonys Gutierrez.

In a bang-bang play, Cole Armstrong tagged out Gutierrez but Szymanski scored, drawing cheers for the excitement and boos for the call.

“I saw B.J. running around quick and I immediately thought of ‘Major League,’ the movie,” said Belisle, who made 30 starts for the Reds last year. “I haven’t seen that in quite a while. It’s always a fun play.”

Gutierrez added the final run with a shot over the right-field pavilion that wanted to reach the Tennessee Aquarium.

“He’s had some pretty big hits for us,” Goff said. “That home run jumped out in a hurry.”

But no faster than Belisle’s reaction time to snare the final pitch of a fine performance.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-lookouts-win/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dragons find new heroes in 8-1 victory
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Friday, April 11, 2008

DAYTON — Both Justin Reed and Mike McKennon were pulled aside after batting practice late Thursday, April 10, and offered hitting advice.

On one side of the batting cage, Dragons manager Donnie Scott and Reds infield coordinator Billy Doran worked with Reed, then took him to the inside cage at Fifth Third Field to work with him some more. Hitting coach Darren Bragg latched onto McKennon, pulling him into the coaches room for a video session.

Gratification was instant as the Dragons beat Fort Wayne 8-1 for a four-game sweep. Reed and McKennon each collected three hits, including two doubles by McKennon, who knocked in a run, scored one and raised his batting average from .185 to .250. Reed's two line-drive singles and a bunt single helped him score twice as he raised his average from .120 to .207.

"I know how to play this game," said Reed, who struck out 13 times in his first 25 at-bats. "The most frustrating thing is knowing you can do it and not doing it."

Scott and Doran worked on Reed's grip, among other things.

McKennon had not been striking out, but Scott noticed he used more of a line-drive swing.

"I'm still struggling a bit against left-handed pitchers, but I went in and looked at video with Bragg," McKennon said. "I had been late with the bat a lot, and looking at that stuff helped."

Reed and McKennon's hitting backed the pitching of Luis Montano, Jeff Jeffords and Joseph Krebs, and for at least one night, the Dragons didn't have to rely on shortstop Todd Frazier (one hit) or third baseman Brandon Waring (two hits, two RBIs, two runs).

"We'll help them out," McKennon said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html
    I do what I can.

Turn Off Ads?