Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Moeller praises Homer

Chad Moeller praises Homer

MOOSIC — Scranton/Wilkes-Barre catcher Chad Moeller spent most of last season in the Cincinnati Reds organization, so he knew all about Homer Bailey long before the 21-year-old started against the Yankees on Tuesday.

Not that it helped him very much.

Moeller was one of four Yankees who struck out at least twice as the Louisville pitching staff — led by its ace prospect — shut down and shut out the Yankees in a 1-0 Bats win at PNC Field.

Bailey did most of the damage. Pitching 5? scoreless innings, baseball’s No. 9 prospect according to Baseball America allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out seven.

Of the four hits, two were infield singles and another was a dribbler that found a hole just past the second baseman.

“I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him,” Moeller said. “Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year.”

Even when Bailey was out of the game, the Bats bullpen kept rolling through the Yankees lineup.

Lefty Bill Bray faced five batters and struck out three of them before Jim Brower, the Yankees closer last season, danced out of trouble in the eighth and ninth to pick up his first save. Brower also struck out three.

“They all threw the ball well,” Moeller said. “And stuck it to us.”

The best chances for the Yankees came in the last two innings off Brower.

In the eighth, Bernie Castro led off with a walk. Justin Christian, though, couldn’t get a sacrifice bunt down and wound up striking out on a fouled bunt for strike three. After the strikeout, Castro tried to steal second and was thrown out. Greg Porter flied out to end the inning.

Ninth inning, the Yankees got a one-out walk from Juan Miranda, followed by a single to put runners at first and second. Eric Duncan, though, struck out looking and Nick Green struck out swinging to end it.

“Any time you have a chance to tie it in the bottom of the ninth you’re right where you need to be,” Yankees manager Dave Miley said. “But we couldn’t get the big hit.”

Other than the last two innings, the only time the Yankees had a runner on base with less than two outs was the first inning, when Christian reached on an infield single only to be eliminated on a double play.

That lack of production saddled Yankees starter Kei Igawa with the loss, despite the fact he allowed just one run.

It came in the first inning when Jay Bruce doubled in Jerry Hairston Jr. Igawa, though, went on to strand runners at the corners that inning before a caught stealing helped Igawa wiggle out of a two-on, one-out jam in the second. Igawa stranded runners again in the third and fourth but, having already thrown 74 pitches, Igawa, was out of the game at the start of the fifth inning.

Contact the writer: cjennings@timesshamrock.com

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chad Moeller praises Homer

Only struck out Moeller twice?

Jeez..
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7
    Check out my Reds blog! Hit me up with any advice on it at anytime, it's always appreciated.
    http://redscheatsheet.blogspot.com/

“I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him,” Moeller said. “Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year.”
    Interesting. Keep at it, Homer.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

I was listening to C. Trent earlier today talking about this. He said that last year Moeller was always willing to talk to the media about other players. However, he chose his words carefully and oftentimes avoided talking about Homer. When Moeller did talk about him, it wasn't in the same glowing terms that he used in the above article.

Bascially, Trent stated that you could tell a lot by what Moeller didn't say. So for him to speak highly of Homer here isn't just blowing sunshine up our behinds, but rather should be taken as an utmost compliment.

Also, they (Lance McAlister) played a couple clips from a Homer interview. Bailey said he's been working very hard on adding a slider (which we got a glimpse of in ST), and that in the ride from Sarasota to Louisville, he decided to abandon bringing his hands over his head in the beginning of his wind-up. He said he wanted to get rid of any unnecessary movement that may affect his command, and that's exactly what he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    for him to speak highly of Homer here isn't just blowing sunshine up our behinds, but rather should be taken as an utmost compliment.
    you might have had me with that, until I saw that he also complimented Brower.

Also, they (Lance McAlister) played a couple clips from a Homer interview. Bailey said he's been working very hard on adding a slider (which we got a glimpse of in ST), and that in the ride from Sarasota to Louisville, he decided to abandon bringing his hands over his head in the beginning of his wind-up. He said he wanted to get rid of any unnecessary movement that may affect his command, and that's exactly what he's done.
    And the transformation to a better Harang, not that you can get much better, has begun. Harang started a lot like Homer, though not as hyped, but threw harder than now and was wild. He compacted his delivery tightned up his slider and you have the ACE of the Reds.

This could be fantastic news for Reds fans!

If HB has discovered a way to get movement on his 2 seamer, regularly, it will be huge, the difference between
    his being a hyped project and a #1 prospect, imo.
    The happiest people don't need the best of every-thing; they make the best of everything they have.
    ---
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
    but how to dance in the rain.'
    ---

you really think he's gonna say anything bad about him with a microphone in front of his face ? doubt it...

so no more nolan ryan comparisons???

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    you really think he's gonna say anything bad about him with a microphone in front of his face ? doubt it...
    Well, as I clearly stated, Moeller has, in fact, gone out of his way to not compliment Homer in the past. He's not a jerk so he doesn't make disparaging remarks, but for him to now speak highly of Bailey corroborates the numbers that suggest Homer's starting to come around.

As for the Brower compliment, Moeller never spoke specifically about him the way Chad spoke about Bailey. Saying "they all threw the ball well" and "I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him. Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year," is quite a bit different, IMO.

Well, as I clearly stated, Moeller has, in fact, gone out of his way to not compliment Homer in the past. He's not a jerk so he doesn't make disparaging remarks, but for him to now speak highly of Bailey corroborates the numbers that suggest Homer's starting to come around.

As for the Brower compliment, Moeller never spoke specifically about him the way Chad spoke about Bailey. Saying "they all threw the ball well" and "I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him. Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year," is quite a bit different, IMO.
    probably cause he wasn't specifically asked about Brower like was about Homer. reporter probably said "you caught homer last year and now you got to face him, what did you think?"

Moeller is not in the Reds organization anymore. He doesn't need to pull punches in interviews.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Moeller is not in the Reds organization anymore. He doesn't need to pull punches in interviews.
    pull punches ? i'll take that as "ass kissing" ??

doesn't matter. i'm sure he's a nice guy. he could end up back there. you see the way guys are moved around.

To hear that Homer has changed stuff for the better is the most encouraging news I have heard about him so far. Imagine our staff with an effective Homer!

pull punches ? i'll take that as "ass kissing" ??

doesn't matter. i'm sure he's a nice guy. he could end up back there. you see the way guys are moved around.
    If Jorge doesn't get better, you may see Moeller on the Bombers soon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?