Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for those smarter than me...

Questions for those smarter than me...

1. If it's so darned important to bunch the high OB guys in the Brewers lineup, why not just hit Kendall 1st??...color me unimpressed long-term with putting the pitcher 8th even though Kendall is off to a great start...

2. Am I the only RZ'er worried that Paul Bako is a bigger part of the success of Cueto's and Volquez' quick starts than management realizes and that he'll either be sent down or lose playing time when Ross comes back??...I've been so much more impressed with Bako behind the dish than Valentin (who IMO is awful calling games) and heck, the guy is rakin' at present...color me as wanting Valentin to be traded or released...Hatteburg serves as the LH pinch hitter (Valentin's poor from the RH side anyways, right??) and the "less cold" hand of Bako and Ross can catch...

3. Maybe it's silly optimism, but Mike Lincoln has pretty good stuff...can eat multiple innings even??...

4. Managerial "feel" is always subject to interpretation, but he's shown some aplomb in handling EE so far...didn't get too down on him for the early errors or struggles at the plate, gave him time off BUT then stuck him right back in the lineup...kudos to Dusty for that...

5. Even if Cueto and Volquez aren't quite as off the charts as they are now, how many NL rotations 1-7 (because everyone is going to need extra starts from some guys during the season) are better than the Reds???...and how long since we've been able to ask a question resembling that???...

6. It's a minor league question, but good gosh has the starting pitching in the system (prospect and otherwise) been incredible??...from Bailey to Thompson, to even Lehr and Shearn...cool...

7. Am I crazy for wanting a platoon of Keppinger/Votto at 1B leading off every night, with Patterson in the midst of a big-"bopping" middle of the lineup???

8. Of all the things to worry about, I don't feel worried about David Weathers...maybe I'm wrong...

Oh, and it's fun to "not suck" about right now...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Questions for those smarter than me...

Kendall sucks. He's BABIP .571 ,vs. a lifetime BABIP of .317.

He'll be lucky to hit a very weak (no power, no walks) .260 this year.

Smarter guy answers....

1. If it's so darned important to bunch the high OB guys in the Brewers lineup, why not just hit Kendall 1st??...color me unimpressed long-term with putting the pitcher 8th even though Kendall is off to a great start...

I don't know.

2. Am I the only RZ'er worried that Paul Bako is a bigger part of the success of Cueto's and Volquez' quick starts than management realizes and that he'll either be sent down or lose playing time when Ross comes back??...I've been so much more impressed with Bako behind the dish than Valentin (who IMO is awful calling games) and heck, the guy is rakin' at present...color me as wanting Valentin to be traded or released...Hatteburg serves as the LH pinch hitter (Valentin's poor from the RH side anyways, right??) and the "less cold" hand of Bako and Ross can catch...

I don't know

3. Maybe it's silly optimism, but Mike Lincoln has pretty good stuff...can eat multiple innings even??...

I don't know

4. Managerial "feel" is always subject to interpretation, but he's shown some aplomb in handling EE so far...didn't get too down on him for the early errors or struggles at the plate, gave him time off BUT then stuck him right back in the lineup...kudos to Dusty for that...

I don't know or is this a question?

5. Even if Cueto and Volquez aren't quite as off the charts as they are now, how many NL rotations 1-7 (because everyone is going to need extra starts from some guys during the season) are better than the Reds???...and how long since we've been able to ask a question resembling that???...

I don't know

6. It's a minor league question, but good gosh has the starting pitching in the system (prospect and otherwise) been incredible??...from Bailey to Thompson, to even Lehr and Shearn...cool...

I don't know

7. Am I crazy for wanting a platoon of Keppinger/Votto at 1B leading off every night, with Patterson in the midst of a big-"bopping" middle of the lineup???

I don't know

8. Of all the things to worry about, I don't feel worried about David Weathers...maybe I'm wrong...

I don't know

I'm not qualified to answer.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

When Ross is healthy, they won't get rid of Bako. He's now the defacto backup, and Valentin is the defacto 1st/"best" PH off the bench. Valentin is now the defacto "emergency" C.

This means we'll see Hatteberg, Freel, or Hopper moved once Ross is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    This means we'll see Hatteberg, Freel, or Hopper moved once Ross is healthy.

Coffey?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Coffey?
    While I agree that an 11 man pitching staff offers more bench and position player flexibility, I just don't think we'll see it.

Although, with The Dusty, anything's possible.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    I agree. It's sort of silly to put the guy with the highest OBP in the spot where he'll get the least number of plate appearances. The guy you want in that spot, (if not the pitcher,) is a guy who doesn't get on base often, but is a disruptive force on the basepaths when he gets there.

That is real possibility. Arroyo's initial success with the Reds seeemed to be dependent on Ross catching. Why not Bako and the Dynamic Dominican Duo? That said, I still think Valentin has value as a pinch hitter...he's a proven commodity in that role and they're not as easy to find as some might think.

IMO, It's not silly optimism. Lincoln has always had great stuff...that's how he got into the closer role for the Pirates just before he blew out his elbow the first time. After his second operation, he's got his stuff back and a knew determination which he got from successfully completing years of rehab. He's gotta have some incredible will power.

People sometimes forget the manager is essentially a personnel manager. He has to know his people and know how to get the most from them. IMO, that is Dusty's great strength...he's a people person who genuinely cares about his players and in getting to know them, learns how to help them do their best work.

Even when we had Gullett, Maloney, Simpson, and Nolan, there was nothing left on the farm....certainly nothing resmbling Bailey! So the answer is NEVER.

I've always envied the Braves that...then the Astros...the Twins...the White Sox. Being a pitching power is a new feeling. I love it!

Yes, you're crazy. Putting Patterson in the middle of the order is the worst thing you could do for him. His greatest danger is that he'll think he's a home run hitter...he's not. He's a guy who can spray line drives all over the park and create havoc on the bases. He needs to keep that swing he began the year with and he's already losing it. Patterson leading off may not look like the best thing to do for the team on paper, but if it's the only way to make him the best hitter he can be, it might actually be the best for the team.

I agree. Weathers has always been 'Stormy', but he gets out of it more often than not.

Cheers!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

This is an interesting move. If they want a high obp guy on base for the likes of Fielder and Braun why not hit him first. The pitcher will get the sooner at bat but in reality he probably won't see more at bats than Kendall because he will likely be pinch hit for before his third at bat. You are taking a few more atbats away from Kendall over the course of a season but game by game this strategy may work.

I agree with you 100%. Valentine and the pitcher look on two different pages when he catches. Bako's #1 responsibility is to call the best game for the pitcher. I think it says a lot that Bako catches for both Cueto and Volquez even though he doesn't speak spanish.

WK may have found another gme in Lincoln. Im starting to like the heat that Lincoln, Burton and Cordero can bring.

Dusty has been known for that. Narron just didn't have a clue with dealing with each individual players. I think you will see a change in attitude with this club.

Not many. It is exciting to see guys come throught the farm system and produce. We haven't seen that for years as reds fans.

WK deserves a great deal of credit for increasing the depth in the reds system. There has also been a serious decrease in arm injuries which is very important for young pitchers.

Play them both every day. I dont like platoons. Send Hatty packing somewhere and let Keppy and Votto hit the ball day in day out.

Give ol stormy time. He is struggling this year but the reds don't have to count on him for as much this season.

Kendall offers OBP, but nothing else. Assuming the Brewers have a few guys with good OBP who also have other skills (speed and/or power), Kendall is less useful than them. If you bat him above them and bump everybody else down, you are by definition giving at bats to Kendall that could be going to somebody more productive.

So by that logic, you are going to bat him behind the 4, 5, 6, guys that are more productive. However, because he doesn't slug at all, and because high OBP in front of other low SLG bats is wasted, it makes more sense to rob him of a few at bats, but better leverage his OBP by having him bat "in front" of those productive guys.

It takes a certain set of circumstances to make sense, but in the Brewers case, it does.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    That said, I still think Valentin has value as a pinch hitter...he's a proven commodity in that role and they're not as easy to find as some might think.
    Proven in the sense that he's really bad at it.

Career as a PH: .201/.262/.351/.613

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Proven in the sense that he's really bad at it.

Career as a PH: .201/.262/.351/.613
    Just out of curiousity, what's league average for a pinch hitter in the same time frame?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

In 2005, pinch hitters hit 228/.306/.336. Javy isn't much better or worse than your typical pinch hitter. However, the real point is that pinch hitters tend to suck. So long as Hatteberg or Votto is on the roster, Javy isn't really needed. Bako and Ross can split time and are both better defensively.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-11-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Javy was 22nd in the NL last year (min 25 PAs) with this line as a PH: 250/.302/.425/.727

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Just out of curiousity, what's league average for a pinch hitter in the same time frame?
    I'm not willing to do that much math right now, but here's lines for NL pinch hitters as a whole per year for the last several years.

2007 - .228/.311/.358/.669
    2006 - .233/.308/.368/.676
    2005 - .232/.308/.343/.650
    2004 - .228/.308/.352/.660
    2003 - .225/.298/.340/.637

Turn Off Ads?