Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for those smarter than me...

Re: Questions for those smarter than me...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In 2005, pinch hitters hit 228/.306/.336. Javy isn't much better or worse than your typical punch hitter. However, the real point is that pinch hitters tend to suck. So long as Hatteberg or Votto is on the roster, Javy isn't really need. Bako and Ross can split time and are both better defensively.
    Pinch hitters do tend to suck. I would argue that Valentin's lackluster (to say the least) OBP as a PH is what makes him especially craptastic in the role, at least comparatively.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'm not willing to do that much math right now, but here's lines for NL pinch hitters as a whole per year for the last several years.

2007 - .228/.311/.358/.669
    2006 - .233/.308/.368/.676
    2005 - .232/.308/.343/.650
    2004 - .228/.308/.352/.660
    2003 - .225/.298/.340/.637

S'alright. I wasn't even willing to dig it up.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Pinch hitters do tend to suck. I would argue that Valentin's lackluster (to say the least) OBP as a PH is what makes him especially craptastic in the role, at least comparatively.
    There is a reason they are coming off the BENCH. haha

Javy tends to be an all or nothing kind of pinch hitter, but I'd prefer a PH with a solid OBP.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    2. Am I the only RZ'er worried that Paul Bako is a bigger part of the success of Cueto's and Volquez' quick starts than management realizes and that he'll either be sent down or lose playing time when Ross comes back??...I've been so much more impressed with Bako behind the dish than Valentin (who IMO is awful calling games) and heck, the guy is rakin' at present...color me as wanting Valentin to be traded or released...Hatteburg serves as the LH pinch hitter (Valentin's poor from the RH side anyways, right??) and the "less cold" hand of Bako and Ross can catch...
    I agree that Bako has been a pleasant surprise. Dusty was kind of mocked for his claim that he was going to bring in players, but so far Bako, Mercker, and Patterson have paid off. I don't know if those were specific "Dusty guys", but they are likely candidates.

4. Managerial "feel" is always subject to interpretation, but he's shown some aplomb in handling EE so far...didn't get too down on him for the early errors or struggles at the plate, gave him time off BUT then stuck him right back in the lineup...kudos to Dusty for that...
    Dusty has been great. His handling of the players far outweighs a non-SABR lineup, IMO.

[quote]
    8. Of all the things to worry about, I don't feel worried about David Weathers...maybe I'm wrong...
    QUOTE]

It's inevitable that the bullpen will run through a few rough spots this year. But hopefully it won't be as painful as the last few years.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Coffey?
    No. The organization is too thin in relief pitching and he still has value on this staff.

It kind of amazes me the heat that Coffey gets on this board. Everyone wants young pitching but is incredibly impatient with it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?