Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker pushes Fogg back so Harang stays on schedule plus Bruce tidbit and other notes

Baker pushes Fogg back so Harang stays on schedule plus Bruce tidbit and other notes

Baker pushes Fogg back so Harang stays on schedule
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Friday, April 11, 2008

MILWAUKEE — There is a decision to be made — to skip or not to skip, and it has nothing to do with rope for Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker.

After the Reds complete a three-game series this weekend in Pittsburgh, they have an off day Monday, April 14, before a three-game series in Chicago.

It will be Josh Fogg's turn to pitch after the off day, but with the way Fogg pitched Wednesday against the Brewers (five innings, four hits, no walks, one earned run, three strikeouts), Baker is inclined not to skip him.

But he also wants to keep Aaron Harang on his normal four days of rest, meaning Harang pitches Tuesday in Chicago, followed by Fogg on six days of rest, then Edinson Volquez on five days of rest.

"We do want to stay with the hard, hard, soft, hard, soft pattern of pitchers," said Baker, referring to Harang, Volquez and Johnny Cueto as hard throwers and Fogg and Bronson Arroyo as softer throwers. "It didn't seem to affect Volkie the last time he went on extra rest — actually two times (counting his last start in spring training).

"We'll re-configure so that Harang stays on his turn, but I'm still learning these guys, and (pitching coach) Dick Pole is still learning," said Baker. "He knows Harang and Bronson Arroyo. He's still learning Fogg, Cueto and Volquez — who can use the extra day, who can pitch short."

Baker backs Bruce

For those who believe that Jay Bruce isn't with the Reds because of Corey Patterson, well, don't believe it.

"I want Bruce here just like everybody else," said Baker. "You don't think I want another Ken Griffey Jr. on my team for the next 20 years? It's just that he has to be ready and that could be soon, and it could be that we'll have both Bruce and Patterson."

Bruce is hitting .250 at Class AAA Louisville in his first six games with a home run, double, triple and four RBIs.

Boos for Cordero

Francisco Cordero shunned his old team, the Brewers, this winter by signing a $46 million deal to be Cincinnati's closer. So it was no shock when he walked in from the bullpen in the ninth inning Thursday that most of the 25,023 in Miller Park booed lustily.

It brought laughter to Ken Griffey Jr., who is taunted and booed constantly as he stands in right field in this park.

"Man, they booed your butt, they booed you more than me," Griffey said to Cordero. "The bullpen gate hadn't even opened and they booed you. I enjoyed that."

Said Cordero, with a smile, "So did I."

He responded with a quick 1-2-3 inning for his second save of the season.

A suicide squeeze?

A bunter he is not. When Aaron Harang saw third base coach Mark Berry flash the suicide squeeze sign, something Harang never had done, "I almost called time and went to Mark to ask, 'Are you sure?' "

But with the bunt still on, pitcher Carlos Villanueva threw a slider down and away, "And I couldn't reach it," said Harang, after watching Scott Hatteberg get caught between third and home.

His next time up, with runners on first and second, Harang shortened to bunt, then quickly straightened and slugged a single to left field.

Down on the farm

Tom Shearn (remember him from last September?) has not allowed a run in two starts for Louisville. He has pitched 10 innings and given up three hits, four walks and struck out seven.

Matt Belisle gets promoted tonight on his minor-league rehab assignment. After pitching 8 2/3 shutout innings for Class A Sarasota against Tampa, he pitched Thursday night for Class AA Chattanooga against Birmingham.

Quote of the day

Baker, discovering that Pete Rose is not allowed in Great American Ball Park unless he purchases a ticket: "I love Pete Rose, he was always great to me, invited me to his house for dinner when I was a rookie. Not letting him in the ballpark is like not letting a top-notch surgeon into a hospital."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baker pushes Fogg back so Harang stays on schedule plus Bruce tidbit and other no

"His next time up, with runners on first and second, Harang shortened to bunt, then quickly straightened and slugged a single to left field."

Wonder if McCoy has his tongue in his cheek when he writes.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Baker pushes Fogg back so Harang stays on schedule plus Bruce tidbit and other no

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    "His next time up, with runners on first and second, Harang shortened to bunt, then quickly straightened and slugged a single to left field."

Wonder if McCoy has his tongue in his cheek when he writes.
    I don't know, but his info is wrong.

There was only a runner on first when Harang bunted.

But he also wants to keep Aaron Harang on his normal four days of rest, meaning Harang pitches Tuesday in Chicago, followed by Fogg on six days of rest, then Edinson Volquez on five days of rest.
    It makes sense to do, but it figures I get to see Josh Fogg pitch at the game I'm going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It makes sense to do, but it figures I get to see Josh Fogg pitch at the game I'm going to.
    It could be worse, I've been to 7 Reds games in the past few years, Eric Milton started 3 of them.
    Go Gators!

I hope that he doesn't over use Harang this year.

Volquez would be pitching on seven days rest, not five as McCoy suggested.

BTW it still looks like Cueto will pitch next Saturday as scheduled. Sweet! because I have tickets to that game.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It could be worse, I've been to 7 Reds games in the past few years, Eric Milton started 3 of them.
    I saw Eric Milton beat Carlos Zambrano at Wrigley Field two years ago. Milton doubled in the game too.

I also saw Milwaukee hit 4 homers in an inning against the Reds. That wasn't fun. More times than not when I go to games Arroyo pitches, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

: "I love Pete Rose, he was always great to me, invited me to his house for dinner when I was a rookie. Not letting him in the ballpark is like not letting a top-notch surgeon into a hospital."
    Well, a top notch surgeon who bet on the outcome of the surgeries he was performing, but only on certain days.

So, is Harang pitching on Tuesday then? The article seemed kind of vauge. I want to know because I'm going to that game!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    So, is Harang pitching on Tuesday then? The article seemed kind of vauge. I want to know because I'm going to that game!
    Yeah, Harang is pitching Tuesday.

Here's the upcoming Reds pitching schedule from what I can gather:

Friday: Volquez at PIT
    Saturday: Arroyo at PIT
    Sunday: Cueto at PIT
    Tuesday: Harang at CHI
    Wednesday: Fogg at CHI
    Thursday: Volquez at CHI
    Friday: Arroyo vs MIL
    Saturday: Cueto vs MIL (I'll be there)
    Sunday: Harang vs MIL

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah, Harang is pitching Tuesday.

Here's the upcoming Reds pitching schedule from what I can gather:

Friday: Volquez at PIT
    Saturday: Arroyo at PIT
    Sunday: Cueto at PIT
    Tuesday: Harang at CHI
    Wednesday: Fogg at CHI
    Thursday: Volquez at CHI
    Friday: Arroyo vs MIL
    Saturday: Cueto vs MIL (I'll be there)
    Sunday: Harang vs MIL
    Looks pretty good for the weekend series, which should draw some fans if the weather is nice and the Reds can turn this current roadtrip into a good one. If both those things happen, we could maybe see an average of 30k plus for the weekend series, and it'll be nice for the Reds to have some solid starters going in those games.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Last weekend agaisnt the Phillies a buddy and I were trying to figure out the rotation for when the Reds came back home cause we wanted to see Cueto. Just decided to do the whole weekend to be sure haha. Looks like we will get to see some solid pitching.

God do I love seeing Volquez and Cueto in the rotation. Beats the heck out of Milton and Lohse.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    God do I love seeing Volquez and Cueto in the rotation. Beats the heck out of Milton and Lohse.
    I would still prefer Lohse over Fogg.

Turn Off Ads?