Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Ross comes off the DL, who goes down?

When Ross comes off the DL, who goes down?

Thoughts? It's supposed to be coming real soon.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling it'll be Votto going down. EdE is a possibility, but he helped himself today. It won't be Castro, though I think there is a real chance he's a goner once Gonzo comes back. Hopper is a possibility I guess, but I just don't see it. If Hatte or Freel were traded for minor leaguers, that could solve the problem too, but I don't see it. Bako seems to be the key to the Dominican Duo.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 04-10-2008 at 11:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When Ross comes off the DL, who goes down?

Wouldn't surprised to see Votto go down either. I can't see them demoting/releasing Bako. Even though he's having some good ABs and stinging the ball, the hits just aren't falling in for JV, and Dusty is giving the action to Hatteberg. At least a demotion would get him regular playing time.

That said, we really don't need to carry Freel and Hopper. Just too similar. Hopper is probably the other guess, given Freel's contract and defensively flexibility. I imagine he has options still too.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd stick Javy on the DL w/ his bad hammy.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Edwin has no shot of going down. I think they find a way to move Javy to the DL and buy some time to make a move.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

For a Level Playing Field

I'm with the Javy to DL scenario.

either be Javy to DL or Votto to AAA. One thing to remember is that the Bako's hitting is a fluke and regression to mean will come hard and fast at some point.

BTW, I would release Bako. There is a reason he cames as an NRI.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-11-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Ross can go down, that'd be fine with me.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    either be Javy to DL or Votto to AAA. One thing to remember is that the Bako's hitting is a fluke and regression to mean will come hard and fast at some point.
    If Bako's seen as the best handler of pitchers, at what point do you deal with the lack of offense? It's not like Ross or Javy are going to put up Jorge Posada numbers offensively.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

This teams lack of O tells me you can't go with a black hole in any spot.

Of course Ross could very well be a black hole himself.

IMO it will be Votto who heads down to AAA.
    Go Gators!

Javy for sure. Or just somehow trade Hatte.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Bako's start is fool's gold. If I thought for a second he could hit .260-.270 and OBP just .300-.310 for the season I'd say his game calling and D was worth it especially if the youngsters are comfortable with him. As abysmal as those numbers would be they'd still represent a career year for him. Ross at least represents the chance of some pop and is a decent defender with a strong arm. Bako should be out when Ross comes back.

We've had far from a black hole in the catching spot to this point. That's not to say that will continue, but I don't see the difference offensively between Ross and a Valentin-Bako split to be that great. It should be Castro, whose value lies in giving you a lot of flexibility in case Keppinger, Phillips, or EE get hurt, but we've now got capable players at Louisville with options left who could be brought if that happens. Seems to me the clear choice is Castro.

Castro goes, Phillips becomes the backup shortstop, with Freel then subbing for BP at 2B -- until Gonzalez returns.

Weakens the "D" but strengthens the "O"

Getting rid of Castro will improve this ballclub in every facet of the game. From offense to defense.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Getting rid of Castro will improve this ballclub in every facet of the game. From offense to defense.
    What would you do with your Castro jersey then? I know you wear it several times a week.

Turn Off Ads?