Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with Mesaraco?

Re: What's up with Mesaraco?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Simply put, the Reds have too many guys they want to get playing time and as a result it means guys are in places they shouldn't be. Mesoraco, Soto, Waring, Lotzkar and Frazier would all be at least 1 level higher in almost every system in baseball.
    That's a very good problem to have. Taking a chance that you're keeping a player too long at one level is always better than taking a chance that you're moving him up too soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Now, the other question.....Do we draft a Catcher with our 2nd Round pick?
    Drafting a catcher with a pick we don't have is gonna be tough to do...........
    (see Francisco Cordero)

M2, Mesaraco is on the GCL Roster again.
    I don't read anything into that. It's not what roster he's on at the moment, but which one he's on when those leagues start. However, if he's back on the GCL roster, then it's a major condemnation of his game at this time.

If I remember you were OK with the pick, but you also brought up the idea that picking an 18-year old who's only competition was some American Legion games where his dad was the coach, and who's had "major" surgery, was not worth the risk. I'm just trying to remember whether you said that or not, but it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to hold you to anything, but actually trying to give you some credit. Mesoraco's current situation after 9 months is the worst-case scenario.
    I tried not to bash the pick too much, but I thought taking a HS catcher from central PA at that spot likely was a disastrous decision. I didn't think he had any business getting selected in the first round. Too much risk, not nearly enough reward.

As for taking a catcher in the 2008 draft. The Reds don't have a 2nd round pick and I wouldn't ever target a position with a given slot. If there's a catcher at the top of the team's board when a pick rolls around, then that's when I'd take a catcher.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I tried not to bash the pick too much, but I thought taking a HS catcher from central PA at that spot likely was a disastrous decision. I didn't think he had any business getting selected in the first round. Too much risk, not nearly enough reward.
    A good hitting catcher with great defensive skills isn't enough reward?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Drafting a catcher with a pick we don't have is gonna be tough to do...........
    (see Francisco Cordero)
    Did we gain any compensatory picks ourselves? Then 3rd Round, I guess, unless there is a catcher in the 1st Round worthy of our 1st pick.

A good hitting catcher with great defensive skills isn't enough reward?
    DG, is that how the organization views Mesoraco?...that he has great defensive skills "potential"? I thought I'd heard that was his weakness, but I know you'd know, so what have you heard?

Part of the reason they took Mesoraco was to address an organizational need, but the other reason was because he signed for under slot.... That was important because of their two supplemental picks which produced Todd Frazier and Kyle Lotzkar.

DG, is that how the organization views Mesoraco?...that he has great defensive skills "potential"? I thought I'd heard that was his weakness, but I know you'd know, so what have you heard?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...sp?mc=mesoraco

It could also be that the REDS need to undo what his father taught him, and that may be more difficult than they thought it was. You know how dad's can be about insisting their way is the only way.

That makes him sound like the second-coming of Johnny Bench, which clearly he's not. They need to reevaluate how they assess their players because clearly they missed something. A guy who's as good as they say he is doens't OPS .580 in the GCL league as a 19-year old.

The REDS must have seen the instincts that they speak of here or it would have been an odd pick to have made.

Focus Area Comments
    Hitting Ability: Mesoraco has a ton of hitting ability, using a little leg kick in his approach, and doesn't swing at bad pitches.
    Power: Mesoraco has plus power. Right now, it's more pull power, but eventually he'll develop power to all fields.
    Running Speed: He's a fringy-average runner, which is pretty good for a catcher.
    Arm Strength: He has a plus arm and isn't afraid to use it in pick-off attempts.
    Arm Accuracy: His throws are always right on the money.
    Fielding: Mesoraco has plus hands behind the plate.
    Range: A terrific athlete, Mesoraco is outstanding at blocking balls in the dirt.
    Baseball Instincts: Off the charts. He's got great makeup, he's very aggressive and he's a natural leader behind the plate.
    Physical Description: Mesoraco is a strong backstop with a body type that might remind some of a Joe Girardi or Ivan Rodriguez.
    Medical Update: Mesoraco missed much of 2006 following Tommy John surgery, but now is completely healthy and clearly is having no problems with his throwing.
    Strengths: He's a complete package. He can hit with power and he can play defense with a strong arm and soft hands.
    Weaknesses: He tends to get out on his front foot on his swing from time to time.
    Summary: Mesoraco has answered any questions about his arm following Tommy John surgery a year ago and is on the rise among catching prospects. He's a complete catching package, with hitting ability, power, good hands, a plus arm and outstanding leadership ability.

Defense is the strong point of his game. He has a 'laser rocket arm' with accuracy. He covers the plate well and has good receiving skills. He has above average bat speed at the plate and a strong understanding of the strikezone. Last year he was playing with two injured thumbs (ever tried to hit a baseball, much less 90 MPH baseballs with just 1 injured thumb) and it showed up in his offensive game.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Part of the reason they took Mesoraco was to address an organizational need, but the other reason was because he signed for under slot.... That was important because of their two supplemental picks which produced Todd Frazier and Kyle Lotzkar.
    No he didn't. He signed for $40,000 less than the guy after him.... so sure, it was 'under slot' but by an amount that is so trivial I have a real hard time saying it was under slot. That $40,000 wasn't going to stop the Reds from taking Frazier or Lotzkar.

Beau Mills is a guy who signed for under slot. The guy before him and after him got 225,000 and 125,000 more than he did.

That makes him sound like the second-coming of Johnny Bench, which clearly he's not. They need to reevaluate how they assess their players because clearly they missed something. A guy who's as good as they say he is doens't OPS .580 in the GCL league as a 19-year old.

The REDS must have seen the instincts that they speak of here or it would have been an odd pick to have made.
    Try hitting a baseball with two injured thumbs and see how well you do. Thats what the kid was doing all summer.

When does the GCL season begin?

Try hitting a baseball with two injured thumbs and see how well you do. Thats what the kid was doing all summer.
    So, last season was a wash, and he's starting over.

Turn Off Ads?