Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What's up with Mesaraco?

Re: What's up with Mesaraco?

Word on the street is that his hitting is ahead of his catching right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I never liked the pick one iota to begin with, and I haven't seen anything that has shown me a glimpse that it was worth it. I don't want it to take 7-9 years for a #15 pick to reach the Majors where he's productive at the Major League level, and that's what it's looking like at this point is his "upside". I want a #15 pick to be knocking on the door at least in his 5th year, and if he was a college player, then in his 3rd year.

Good luck to him.
    I have no idea what the norm is, but I don't think it's a failed pick if he takes a fairly normal route to the ML's.

Is this an unreasonable progression?

2007 GCL
    2008 Billings/Dayton
    2009 Sarasota
    2010 Sarasota/Chattanooga
    2011 Chattanooga/Louisville
    2012 Louisville/Cincinnati

That's not dissimilar to the route Votto took:

2002 GCL
    2003 Billings/Dayton
    2004 Dayton/Potomac (A+)
    2005 Sarasota
    2006 Chattanooga
    2007 Louisville/Cincinnati
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I have no idea what the norm is, but I don't think it's a failed pick if he takes a fairly normal route to the ML's.

2007 GCL
    2008 Billings/Dayton
    2009 Sarasota

2002 GCL
    2003 Billings/Dayton
    2004 Dayton/Potomac (A+)
    2005 Sarasota
    2006 Chattanooga
    If he does that, it'd be great. He'd be contributing significantly in 2013, 6 years after he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

2007 GCL
    2008 Billings/Dayton
    2009 Sarasota

2002 GCL
    2003 Billings/Dayton
    2004 Dayton/Potomac (A+)
    2005 Sarasota
    2006 Chattanooga
    For a HS pick, I agree, this is a very reasonable time frame. I don't know if Mesaraco was the right pick, but that's 2 1st rd. picks that have started with injury issues. And both are "raw" talents (though why a guy with 3 years at a Big 12 school is considered raw is beyond me).
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Yeah but how long was Votto a catcher before they moved him out from behind the plate ?

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    Yeah but how long was Votto a catcher before they moved him out from behind the plate ?
    Not very long. Maybe 15 games at the most. Votto was never considered a serious catching prospect. The Reds drafted him for his bat with the intent of shifting him to first base. He also played a little third base IIRC. Mesoraco on the other hand is considered a very good defensive catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not very long. Maybe 15 games at the most. Votto was never considered a serious catching prospect. The Reds drafted him for his bat with the intent of shifting him to first base. He also played a little third base IIRC. Mesoraco on the other hand is considered a very good defensive catcher.
    His first season, he played seven games at Catcher, 18 games at 3rd and three games in the outfield, none at 1st base. After that, he played 1st base exclusively until last year, when he got time in the outfield both at Louisville and Cincinnati.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's not like there was another obvious pick on the board when the Reds took Mesoraco at No. 15 last year. We're not talking about 2006 when Krivsky goofed and took Stubbs with an obvious pick like Lincecum staring him right in the face. No doubt poor drafts is one of the reasons Kriv was canned. I bet Castellini isn't thrilled about whatever he's paying Drew Stubbs to be a decent high-A player, while Lincecum is one of the best pitchers in the NL.

As for Mesoraco, I'm willing to give him this year to see what he can do. I kind of like havng a young catcher with high upside in the system. It's not like we've burned a lot of high picks on catchers in recent years. In fact, Mesoraco marked the first time the Reds took a catcher in the first round since Dan Wilson in 1990. It's going to take a few years, but Mesoraco is going to make it to the big leagues. No clue how good he'll be though. Maybe Mesoraco won't peak until he's 36 like Paul Bako, but I think it will be well before that ;-)

There's always other "obvious" picks....

You have a lot of faith on him making it to the big leagues. I'd be happy to see him make it to Billings this year and then we'll go from there..

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Have you seen some of the catchers around MLB? I am referring to most of them actually. Just look at some of the catchers we've carried over the years. It doesn't take much to make it in the MLB as a catcher and I have no doubt a former first-round pick like Mesoraco will make it. Barring injury, he is going to put up enough stats offensive (and will be good enough defensively) to make it to the big leagues and at least get a look. My only question is will he be good, average, bad, just get a cup of coffee, etc...

Or will he make a deal with the devil, have a few solid years, and then suddenly become the worst catcher in MLB history like Jason LaRue. These are pressing questions.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's not like there was another obvious pick on the board when the Reds took Mesoraco at No. 15 last year. We're not talking about 2006 when Krivsky goofed and took Stubbs with an obvious pick like Lincecum staring him right in the face. No doubt poor drafts is one of the reasons Kriv was canned. I bet Castellini isn't thrilled about whatever he's paying Drew Stubbs to be a decent high-A player, while Lincecum is one of the best pitchers in the NL.
    I continue to wonder how a guy with a 5.50 BB/9 rate in college was some slam dunk pick while Drew Stubbs was the biggest reach in the history of the draft..... Tim turned things around real quick, but I still don't get how everyone knew his extremely bad control was behind him. Maybe thats just my thinking though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I continue to wonder how a guy with a 5.50 BB/9 rate in college was some slam dunk pick while Drew Stubbs was the biggest reach in the history of the draft..... Tim turned things around real quick, but I still don't get how everyone knew his extremely bad control was behind him. Maybe thats just my thinking though.

They didn't. Seven clubs took pitchers before him that aren't doing very well.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I bet Castellini isn't thrilled about whatever he's paying Drew Stubbs to be a decent high-A player, while Lincecum is one of the best pitchers in the NL.

You do understand that Stubbs was rated Top 100 by BA last year, and is likely much better this year?
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 04-26-2008 at 11:13 PM.

I have to agree with Doug. Lincecum would have been a good pick, but there are still things to be worried about with him and Stubbs is in the process of having a terrific season, one I have predicted all along with find him finishing the year in Louisville. To say Lincecum would have been a good pick is one thing; to say that he was obviously the better pick than Stubbs is quite another and it's not at all clear yet that it will prove out that way.

Any reports on how Mesoraco is doing in extended spring training?

Turn Off Ads?