Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What's up with Mesaraco?

Re: What's up with Mesaraco?

It may have been that his BB rate in college dropped three straight years, while hi K/9 was in double digits during that span. It may have been that he was considered major league ready, or close to it, and the Reds had a craptastic rotation and almost no SP depth at the time.

That MAY have been why the Stubbs pick was a bad one. I'm thrilled he's hitting now, but rotation of Harang, Lincecum, Cueto, Arroyo with Bailey on the way means the Reds likely don't trade Hamilton. I love EV in the rotation, but Lincecum would balance that and give the Reds 2 tremendous young talents in the OF, Bruce Hamilton.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It may have been that his BB rate in college dropped three straight years, while hi K/9 was in double digits during that span. It may have been that he was considered major league ready, or close to it, and the Reds had a craptastic rotation and almost no SP depth at the time.

That MAY have been why the Stubbs pick was a bad one. I'm thrilled he's hitting now, but rotation of Harang, Lincecum, Cueto, Arroyo with Bailey on the way means the Reds likely don't trade Hamilton. I love EV in the rotation, but Lincecum would balance that and give the Reds 2 tremendous young talents in the OF, Bruce Hamilton.
    Sure, but to pretend Lincecum was a slam dunk pick doesn't work.
    He was 5'10 155 pounds soaking wet. Had some serious control issues. Strange mechanics and release point issues.

Kid had and still has ridiculous talent, but its not like David Price was on the board for us or something.

He was the best player available AND filled a need. That makes it a no-brainer.

He was the best player available AND filled a need. That makes it a no-brainer.
    Except at the time I am not sure he was the BPA. In hindsight that may be true (although maybe not, Joba Chamberlain could make a great argument for that as well), but hindsight is just that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You do understand that Stubbs was rated Top 100 by BA last year, and is likely much better this year?
    100th, to be exact. And that had more to do with his pre-draft scouting report than his performance in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    100th, to be exact. And that had more to do with his pre-draft scouting report than his performance in the minors.
    True to an extent, but that ranking looks awfully justified, if not low at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    True to an extent, but that ranking looks awfully justified, if not low at this point in time.
    Yeah? What was Lincecum's? for the very short time he was in the minors, top 50? higher?

Yeah? What was Lincecum's? for the very short time he was in the minors, top 50? higher?
    Between 15-30 depending where you looked. That still doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand though that Lincecum wasn't some slam dunk, no doubt David Price is sitting there type choice.

Time will tell on that. He is still only in High A. If he is putting up numbers in AA then I will start to take notice.

Between 15-30 depending where you looked. That still doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand though that Lincecum wasn't some slam dunk, no doubt David Price is sitting there type choice.
    The guy I wanted in that draft (at the time) just got the call: Max Scherzer.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm trying to remember if there's ever been a thread about Devin Mesaraco that wasn't hijacked into a Drew Stubbs vs. Tim Lincecum thread. :
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm trying to remember if there's ever been a thread about Devin Mesaraco that wasn't hijacked into a Drew Stubbs vs. Tim Lincecum thread. :
    It probably happened because no one knows who Devin Mesaraco is. Is he related to Reds catching prospect Devin Mesoraco?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It probably happened because no one knows who Devin Mesaraco is. Is he related to Reds catching prospect Devin Mesoraco?
    Typo on my part. I should know better. :
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?