Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Beauty Queen Sues Pageant

Beauty Queen Sues Pageant

http://tv.yahoo.com/contributor/2266...b7fd9__ER:1902

Miss California Also-Ran Takes on the Universe
    By Natalie Finn Thu Apr 10, 10:26 AM PDT

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me in public, I'll see you in court.
    Christina Silva, the beauty queen who was first crowned Miss California USA 2008 before being informed there had been a miscount, has sued the Miss Universe Organization over the ordeal, which her legal camp refers to as a "sorry tale of greed, deceit, incompetence and disloyalty and their inevitable consequences."

The former Miss Los Angeles was named the winner of the run-up to the Miss USA pageant on Nov. 25; three days later Miss California officials informed her of the "human error" that led to the screw-up and asked her to please call the real winner, Miss Barstow Raquel Beezley, to pass on the news.

Silva was told she could keep the actual crown and the $4,500 Miss California USA necklace she had been given—as well as recoup her $1,500 entry fee and compete again for free—but that apparently didn't cut it for the scorned Silva, who turned out to scorned second runner-up.
    Alleging fraudulent concealment and misrepresentation, negligence, false advertising, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract and several other torts, she is seeking at least $500,000 in damages to compensate for the "public humiliation, mental anguish and distress, lost opportunities, lost prizes and lost monies paid to and expended on her behalf."

In her account of the experience, Silva also alleges that another defendant, pageant executive director Keith Lewis, "demonstrated preferential treatment toward some of the more 'anglo-looking' contestants."

Silva is of Ecuadorian and Mexican descent, while Beezley is reportedly part Filipino.

Lewis publicly apologized for the incident in December, saying he was sorry Silva felt "manipulated" by the process and that the Miss California USA organization supported her "quest to seek the truth."

However, he added, "At the end of the road, she won't find an ounce of discrimination, preferential treatment or impropriety. What she will find is simple human error."

Copyright © 2008 E! Online, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by Chip R; 04-11-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Beauty Queen Sues Pageant

She's absolutely beautiful.

The former Miss Los Angeles was named the winner of the run-up to the Miss USA pageant on Nov. 25; three days later Miss California officials informed her of the "human error" that led to the screw-up and asked her to please call the real winner, Miss Barstow Raquel Beezley, to pass on the news.

Hey, I know we screwed up and all, but we're kinda busy. Could you be a schmuck and call the real winner for us? Besides, we're trying to keep our long-distance expences to a minimum. Thanks.....buh bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Hey, I know we screwed up and all, but we're kinda busy. Could you be a schmuck and call the real winner for us? Besides, we're trying to keep our long-distance expences to a minimum. Thanks.....buh bye.

I thought that was rather cold, having her call the real winner.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought that was rather cold, having her call the real winner.
    No kidding! Wonder if that's what torked her off and was the final straw towards deciding to sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No kidding! Wonder if that's what torked her off and was the final straw towards deciding to sue?

Can't blame her. I'm surprised she did it. I'd have told them to shove it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Miss Teen South Carolina would have given them directions.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

She should take the case to Judge Judy and let her sort it out. I'm thinking primetime special.
    /r/reds

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yeah, really. Seems to me like "Guess what? You won" would be a call they'd be happy to make themselves.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

That's what I did when I was Miss California.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?