Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fay answers MLBTR questions

Fay answers MLBTR questions

From MLBTR.com:

MLBTR: How do you perceive the relationship between Wayne Krivsky and Walt Jocketty?

Fay: On the surface, everything is fine, but I don't see what happens behind closed doors. I think if the Reds win this year, you could very well see the arrangement continue. Jocketty said as much when I did a story about the two this spring.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLBTR: Any idea what the Reds offered for Joe Blanton and/or Erik Bedard?

Fay: Baltimore wanted Jay Bruce, the Reds weren't going to do that. I believe they offered a package that included Homer Bailey and Joey Votto, plus a third player. I think the A's wanted Johnny Cueto and the Reds never seriously considered that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLBTR: Do you think the catching concerns with Dave Ross and Javier Valentin will lead to a trade? If so, any ideas who Krivsky might favor?

Fay: The Reds were and probably still are pursuing a catcher. The thing that complicates it a bit is how well Paul Bako's worked with Cueto and Edinson Volquez. I think Bako stays on the club when Ross comes off the DL. Valentin will strictly be used a pinch-hitter/emergency catcher. Catching is so thin around baseball that there aren't many options. The only name I've heard mentioned is Gerald Laird from Texas.

MLBTR: Do you expect Ken Griffey Jr. and/or Adam Dunn to be traded this year?

Fay: It depends on where the Reds are as far as contention when the trading deadline approaches. If the Reds are out of it, they'd be silly not to move them. I still think there's a good chance they'll extend Dunn's contract. But, again, that depends somewhat on how he plays and the teams plays.
    Nothing really new here, I do find it interesting that the Reds are taking a wait and see approach with Dunn. The more we wait the more he may be inclined to go elsewhere.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Fay answers MLBTR questions

The Reds can't trade him (Dunn) until June, correct?

If that's the case, then it seems it's a wait and see how this 2008 club plays before they commit years and money to Dunn.

IMO, I'd commit the years and money to Dunn anyway, but I can't rule out that if they get a "knock your socks off" offer for Dunn sometime in July, that you have to take that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The Reds can't trade him (Dunn) until June, correct?

If that's the case, then it seems it's a wait and see how this 2008 club plays before they commit years and money to Dunn.

IMO, I'd commit the years and money to Dunn anyway, but I can't rule out that if they get a "knock your socks off" offer for Dunn sometime in July, that you have to take that offer.
    I think he just has a no-trade. That doesn't mean he can't be traded, just that he has veto power and the Reds lack leverage.

I'd be all over a 4/60 type deal. I'd much rather pay him well for four years than get a per year discount and go longer. When Dunn's career starts to go down hill, it's going to happen quickly and I wouldn't want to be on the hook for it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm neither for or against signing Dunn. More than any other sport, no single player drives a team's success. Does the player fit the team that you are trying to assemble? Some of the greatest season's of all time have been for lousy teams. It all depends on who you replace him with, or what combination of players will give you the same production, how much will it cost to sign him LT to retain that production, are you talking about draft picks or a trade. All factors. Not re-signing Dunn and Junior, one or both, could be good moves or terrible -it all depends on what you do with that $25 million or more a year that you'd free up and how you'd replace their production. (And Jay Bruce takes care of half the equation pretty nicely).

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'm neither for or against signing Dunn. More than any other sport, no single player drives a team's success. Does the player fit the team that you are trying to assemble? Some of the greatest season's of all time have been for lousy teams. It all depends on who you replace him with, or what combination of players will give you the same production, how much will it cost to sign him LT to retain that production, are you talking about draft picks or a trade. All factors. Not re-signing Dunn and Junior, one or both, could be good moves or terrible -it all depends on what you do with that $25 million or more a year that you'd free up and how you'd replace their production. (And Jay Bruce takes care of half the equation pretty nicely).
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Great post. Very few moves are good or bad in isolation. How they fit in to the system is a big factor.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I'd be all over a 4/60 type deal. I'd much rather pay him well for four years than get a per year discount and go longer. When Dunn's career starts to go down hill, it's going to happen quickly and I wouldn't want to be on the hook for it.
    Agree. I especially like a three or four year deal for Dunn because he will come off the books when it is time to make decisions on the young trio of pitchers. They will be coming up on free agency by then, and the last thing this team needs is a Johan Santana-like situation where we get pigeonholed into trading a guy for pennies on the dollar.

Plus hopefully guys like Frazier, Soto, and/or Francisco will be ready for full-time roles by then. (Hopefully sooner than that with Frazier.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?