Turn Off Ads?

Thread: three hard-throwing Dayton lefthanders

three hard-throwing Dayton lefthanders

1. Drew Bowman has size, throws pretty hard (supposedly up to 93) and was last year's fifth round pick. He got absolutely lit up in Billings last year, and looked like a potential bust. But he had a very nice first appearance in Dayton before he left game with minor injury.

2. Jamie Arneson was given 4th round money to sign in 2006, but hadn't shown much for it. He also has good size, but walked quite a few batters in GCL last year. Now starting in Dayton, he has been so-so in a couple of starts, but that's an improvement. He supposedly threw 94 before being drafted, with a changeup.

3. Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette is the only small one of the trio, but throws the hardest. However, he's all fastball (parlez-vous francais, Mario?). He's washed out twice in Dayton, and even went AWOL after the last time. But so far this season seems to be handling the level well. Lefties can't touch him. He would move very quickly if he ever developed another pitch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: three hard-throwing Dayton lefthanders

This is important since you have to go all the way down to Dayton to find a Left-handed prospect who might start for the REDS someday. We need to make a trade.

I see you forgot about Travis Wood who may have the best pitch of anybody in the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This is important since you have to go all the way down to Dayton to find a Left-handed prospect who might start for the REDS someday. We need to make a trade.
    Travis Wood and Matt Maloney might have something to say about that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And my deep sleeper Ben Jukich.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    long-term, I don't know that any of these guys will be starters. I think that they're starters right now because the Reds hope that better secondary pitches will emerge that way. At some point, though, they'll be bumped to relief, as Fisher and Watson were this year and as I assume James Avery will be next season if not earlier.

Valiquette was hammered so badly as a starter that they had to make the move to relief earlier for him.

I think we're talking extreme long shots for any of those 3.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think so, too, but the high-ceiling prospects are the most exciting ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    maybe. But these were high picks or high pick-equivalents ($$), and a good team needs to convert some of those into success stories.

the current developmental team has done a pretty good job of developing arms in Dayton and sending them onto Sarasota and Chattanooga. These three will challenge that. And if a lefty can make it to AA, with velocity, then he's got value.

Valiquette figures it out

Left-handed pitcher Philippe Valiquette has been a part of the Dragons so long, it would seem he qualifies as a Dayton resident.

Hard to believe he's only 21 years old, and that's exactly why the parent Reds have tried to be patient with the Montreal native.

Valiquette was a seventh-round draft pick in 2004 as a 17-year old, and he showed his youth with a 2-5 record and 6.30 ERA in 2005 with the Dragons, his first season in pro ball. He even had to be shipped out for a few games to rookie Billings, where he didn't do much better.

In 2006, Valiquette was 2-4 with the Dragons with a 7.54 ERA and abruptly left the team during the season, citing problems at home. His problem was he didn't like it here.

"I don't know if it was only because I was young," Valiquette said. "I also didn't get along with the pitching coach (Larry Pierson). I couldn't figure out how to be consistent. I was home and had some stuff to do and started a small supplement store with some friends."

By September, Valiquette began thinking of baseball again, and the Reds were happy to give him another chance. He went to the Instructional League, developed a slider and attended spring training late last season.

At first, he was assigned to Billings, where he was 3-1 with a 1.77 ERA. That earned a promotion back to Dayton, but with similar results 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA.

So far this season, it has been a little different. Through eight appearances in relief over 12 2/3 innings, Valiquette shows a 2.84 ERA and some poise on the mound.

"I'm happy," Valiquette said. "But I don't take anything for granted. I still have things to work on."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...8spinside.html

Turn Off Ads?