Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Big Break - Golf Channel

The Big Break - Golf Channel

Anyone else a big fan of this show? A new season starts up this Tuesday and it looks like it's going to be a good one. I actually enjoy watching the female ones better, I think they'r more entertaining. And it looks like there's not a shortage of attractive ones this season, which makes it all the more better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: The Big Break - Golf Channel

Agreed - I watch the show as well.

The season where they were at Turtle Bay in Hawaii - by far the most watchable in my mind.

Glad they are going to be at Kaanapali this year too - I've stayed there and played there before and that's an amazing course - thats vastly overshadowed by Kapalua up the road.

I'm looking forward to this next season as well. I've watched quite a few episodes in the past. I tend to watch more when I know the guys on the show. I've played with Don Donatello, Hiroshi Matusuo, and someone else who I forgot the name of at this time. Hiroshi is pretty good btw. Don, DD, is pretty crazy to play with. He's very supportive, but just keeps talking and talking and talking. He is a nice guy, but there's only so much you can take.

A lot of my friends want me to try out for the show. I think I'd do well on it because I'm creative, but I don't have any interest in it right now. I'm pretty happy teaching and playing tournaments on Mondays right now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

DD does seem like a crazy dude. He's wound so tight. And he let his "maleness" get in the way of being smart in the reunion season. The second he cashed in that immunity thingy he had, I knew he was going to blow it.

Watching Hiroshi, I wondered why he wasn't on tour. That guy was REALLY good. But towards the end when there was a lot of pressure, you could see him stiffen up and he totally choked. I was disappointed. Golf is so hard mentally.

I was just glad to see that cocky college golfer from last season get knocked off second. That was funny. He needed a dose of humble pie.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Watching Hiroshi, I wondered why he wasn't on tour. That guy was REALLY good. But towards the end when there was a lot of pressure, you could see him stiffen up and he totally choked. I was disappointed. Golf is so hard mentally.
    Hiroshi is very, very good. He's been on the Nationwide Tour and he led the money list on the Golder Bear Tour a couple of times. He's getting a little older and has lost some of his power and confidence maybe. He's one of the major reasons why I think Q-School and the way to get on tour is flawed and unfair. He should've been exempt to the Nationwide Tour a few times.

He used to be extremely long. About 5 or 6 years ago I played with him and my good friend and college teammate, Tee (who's in the top 10 right now on the Nationwide Tour money list). I can hit it pretty good off the Tee. I average about 290, but can easily hit it over 300 if I hit it good. Tee is about 10-15 yards longer than me. Hiroshi, back then was at least 50 yards longer than me. It was unbelievable. He was just as long as Hank Keuhne who absolutely murders the ball (the first time I played with him he out drove me by 70 yards when I hit the ball 290.....stupid long). Anyhow, Hiroshi is past his prime, but he is still a really good player.

I was just glad to see that cocky college golfer from last season get knocked off second. That was funny. He needed a dose of humble pie.
    I agree. He's a jackass.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Hank Kuehne had a charity gig in Philly in 2006 when I was working there, and I pulled every straw I had in Philly to get to scorekeep his group.

The event was at Huntingdon Valley and he shot a as he put it, "boring 60". 60. Six zero. 5 under on the front, 7 under on the back. Ridiculous. IIRC, he drove at least 3 of the Par 4s, and possibly a 4th, but as much as I wanted to be a Hank Kuehne fan up close and personal, I did have a job to do (damn scorekeeping getting in the way...).

I must say, I did have my work cut out for me that day, b/c it was a Pro aggregate, which was the Pro's score, and then better ball of the 3 Ams. Goofy format, but whatever. Easiest money I've ever made. The event was scored in real-time, so all I had to do was tap a corner of the screen of the PDA to keep track of each stroke of each player. But two of the Ams were trying to hit with Hank all day, and he was easily100 yards longer than them, on average.

My favorite quote about Hank Kuehne was when someone asked Tiger about Hank's length, and Tiger said something to the effect of "Hank's at least 30 yards longer than me".

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    "Hank's at least 30 yards longer than me".
    ....and at least 50 longer than me. I'll never forget the the 2nd hole I played with him. I hit it 290 and he was 70 yards by me. 70!! It was insane.

I did beat him that day though. :

Yeah, I think I'm going to REALLY like this season. Might not be the best golf, but I'll still find ways to enjoy it.

Holy smokes, Courtney. Real? Turns out, according to her bio, she's a big Cincinnati Reds fan. That's one more reason for me to root for to stay on the show for a long time.

And Christina's kinda cute, but I have a feeling I'm going to be telling her to SHUT. UP. a lot this season.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-16-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Anyone watching?

Oh man, the gloves have come off. Lori has become my least favorite contestant in the history of the show. What an absolute wench. It's so obvious that she's so incredibly envious of Christina that she's making a fool of herself.

Turn Off Ads?