Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,509

    There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Fay:

    Two of the guys who were impressive in the spring -- Jerry Hairston Jr. and Jolbert Cabrera -- are tearing it up for Louisville. Hairston is hittng .467 with three doubles and two triples in 30 at-bats. Cabrera is hitting .375 with a five doubles and a .452 on-base percentage in 24 at-bats.

    Given the Reds struggles against lefties, it might be time to get one of the two up here. Both are right-handed hitters who can play all over the place.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,006

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    But do they have veteran presence and clubhouse intangibles?

  4. #3
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,796

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Fay:

    Two of the guys who were impressive in the spring -- Jerry Hairston Jr. and Jolbert Cabrera -- are tearing it up for Louisville. Hairston is hittng .467 with three doubles and two triples in 30 at-bats. Cabrera is hitting .375 with a five doubles and a .452 on-base percentage in 24 at-bats.

    Given the Reds struggles against lefties, it might be time to get one of the two up here. Both are right-handed hitters who can play all over the place.
    Hairston has been playing some SS. DFA Castro and get him up here.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  5. #4
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Unfortunately, Major League Baseball is, "a.....hole.....naba.....lebel" Can they take it to a "hole naba lebel"????

  6. #5
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Unfortunately, Major League Baseball is, "a.....hole.....naba.....lebel" Can they take it to a "hole naba lebel"????
    Good point as we have all seen numbers in the minors not match even close at the MLB level. Those guys have past history. Still I would welcome an excuse to move Juan and thank him for his time.

  7. #6
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Good point as we have all seen numbers in the minors not match even close at the MLB level. Those guys have past history. Still I would welcome an excuse to move Juan and thank him for his time.
    exactly, it's not like Dusty is really using him all that often anyway. Maybe Castro's walking papers are waiting for Agon, at least that's what I hope.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

  8. #7
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,392

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hairston has been playing some SS. DFA Castro and get him up here.
    That seems likes a painfully obvious move.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  9. #8
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,853

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hairston has been playing some SS. DFA Castro and get him up here.
    To me, it depends on when Gonzalez is expected back, since I'm presuming Hairston would be shipped out when Gonzalez returns, just like I expect Castro would be. I'm also presuming Hairston is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be outrighted back to Louisville. So I wouldn't expect them to do it for a very short-term stint if they care about keeping him around. But if AG is going to be on the shelf for another month, then go ahead.
    Not all who wander are lost

  10. #9
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,392

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    To me, it depends on when Gonzalez is expected back, since I'm presuming Hairston would be shipped out when Gonzalez returns, just like I expect Castro would be. I'm also presuming Hairston is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be outrighted back to Louisville. So I wouldn't expect them to do it for a very short-term stint if they care about keeping him around. But if AG is going to be on the shelf for another month, then go ahead.
    I'd rather have Hairston than Castro and Freel.

    Hairston comes up, Castro out.
    Gonzalez gets activated, Freel out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  11. #10
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,659

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Hairston? check his career numbers, AAAA player.

    Cabrera would be worth a look
    Go Gators!

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,392

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Hairston? check his career numbers, AAAA player.

    Cabrera would be worth a look
    Hairston: .253/.324/.358
    Cabrera: .258/.305/.362

    So what exactly do you see in Cabrera that you don't in Hairston?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  13. #12
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,659

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Less history of stinking it up in the majors.

    But really neither is an answer.
    Go Gators!

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,583

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Cabrera should be given a shot as a platoon righty hitter at first base. A stopgap for sure, but worth a try.

  15. #14
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Bring up one of them to play 3B and send down EE....not that it will fix the right/lefty thing tho
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  16. #15
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cabrera should be given a shot as a platoon righty hitter at first base. A stopgap for sure, but worth a try.
    That seems very reasonable to me especially for first base, and the guy can play other positions as well. When Gonzalez comes back he will go to short and perhaps Baker will use Kepp at third if EE continues to struggle.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25