Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the Reds trade Dunn when Bruce is ready???

Will the Reds trade Dunn when Bruce is ready???

I was thinking today that the Reds may trade Dunn when Bruce is ready.
    I am thinking Bruce will be ready sometime this year.

Dunn ( and Griffey ) are poor defensive players and if Krivsky and Jocketty want to build a team like the Twins or Cards then Dunn doesn't fit. Assuming the Reds want a decent defensive outfield then Bruce-CF-Griffey(or Dunn) beats Dunn-Bruce-Griffey.

So either Dunn or Griffey is likely IMO to go when Bruce is ready.
    If Griffey plays decently this year I think the Reds will pay him the $16M for 2009 rather than the $4M buyout. $4M is a lot of money for zero production and the PR hit would also be bad.

Assuming Griffey plays decently this year and refuses any trade to the AL then the Reds choices would be:

A. Trade Dunn & replace him with Bruce this year

B. Let Dunn walk & replace him with Bruce at the start of 2009

C. Go with the really bad defensive outfield of Dunn-Bruce-Griffey for the rest of 2008 and all of 2009.

D. Eat $4M and let Griffey walk then replace him with Bruce at the start of 2009.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will the Reds trade Dunn when Bruce is ready???

Griffey is probably gone. Bruce will take over RF next year if we are in the race all year. Could see Dunn traded, but I think they want to keep him.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I think trading Dunn to make room for Bruce is an organization changing move, and not in a good way.

Griffey won't be here in 2009. That makes plenty of room for Bruce.

What I'm hoping for is two things:

1) Griffey's option is not picked up and Bruce takes over right field. $16 million for Griffey would be asinine.
    2) Dunn is gone after this year and the Reds use that money for a right-handed outfielder. I like Dunn and he's a heck of a player, but I don't think he's worth $15/year on this team. This team desperately needs a right-handed bat in the middle of the lineup to balance it out.

I would like to see a lineup like this next year:

Patterson/CF
    Keppinger
    Bruce
    Right-handed LF
    Votto
    Phillips
    EE
    Catcher
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    What I'm hoping for is two things:

1) Griffey's option is not picked up and Bruce takes over right field. $16 million for Griffey would be asinine.
    2) Dunn is gone after this year and the Reds use that money for a right-handed outfielder. I like Dunn and he's a heck of a player, but I don't think he's worth $15/year on this team. This team desperately needs a right-handed bat in the middle of the lineup to balance it out.

I would like to see a lineup like this next year:

Patterson/CF
    Keppinger
    Bruce
    Right-handed LF
    Votto
    Phillips
    EE
    Catcher
    not wanting to score many runs?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I'd say the odds are really high that neither Dunn or Jr will be with the Reds in 2009. I also look for Dunn to be traded in July for a minimal return.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    As opposed to the overflowing amount that will be raked in this year?

This year's team is not going to produce a ton of runs. A little above average at best, IMO. The organization is smack dab in the middle of an assault on youthful arms. I'd rather look for offense on the cheap than pitching.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

IMO JR has a better chance at being back then Dunn.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    IMO JR has a better chance at being back then Dunn.
    Wise comment. Probably correct when you think about it.

Griff might settle for, say, $15 million aggregate over 2 years. Dunn is going to want $75 million over 5 years, maybe more.

Dunn has certain skills, he's underappreciated around the league, and he has been the centerpiece of the offense. But the Reds would have to think long and hard before agreeing to pay $15 million per to Dunn for 5 or more years.

If the Reds have a season this season like the past seven I am not sure that Griffey and Dunn would want to come back to Cincy, they might want to move on to the greener grass of Florida or where the tumble weeds roll.

I don't think that the Twins or Cardinals paid huge sums to what will be a 39 year old outfielder in Nov of this year and a special circumstances left fielder.
    They are auditioning now and I just don't feel that Jockerty and Krivsky will give them glowing recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Griff might settle for, say, $15 million aggregate over 2 years.
    Interesting. Redoing Jr's contract for 2009 is something I had not considered.

I think it's a mistake to assume that simply because Krivsky and Jockety came from Minnesota & St. Louis, that they only have those two models to build from. I understand they both bring their backgrounds with them, but there are plenty of organizations on which this team can be modeled. I just can't assume either is looking to make the Reds into those particular organizations image.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I believe they'd score more runs especially if the right-handed bat is someone like Alex Rios. I think it'd be an awesome lineup. The current lineup shows no consistency or any chance to consistently beat left-handed pitching.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Trade Dunn to Texas for this hot prospect named Josh Hamilton!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

My guess is that by the end of the season the Reds won't want Jr back
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?