Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Users try to save Windows XP

Re: Users try to save Windows XP

I have two computers running XP without any problems, and I have a laptop running Vista without any problems.

If you buy a modern computer today you shouldn't have any problems with Vista. Most of the people that are having problems with Vista are using older, less powerful computers that can't handle the more advanced operating system.

Vista is more secure, has a few neat bells and whistles, and can handle some of the latest hardware components that XP can't. Other than those things there really is very little difference between Vista and XP from the user's perspective. There is no need to buy an upgrade from XP to Vista. Just stick with XP until you get a new computer.

When you are ready for a new computer, the best thing to do is buy the computer components and assemble them yourself. You will get a much better computer for a much lower price. It is very easy to do because even I have done it many times myself.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    When you are ready for a new computer, the best thing to do is buy a Mac. You will get a much better computer for your money. It is very easy to do because even I have done it many times myself.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Not a big fan of the Mac myself.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Not a big fan of the Mac myself.
    I like the way computers work... Mac doesn't allow me to play with them, and they cost an arm and a leg too.

But...they are shiny!

Best of both worlds is an altered version of OSx to play around with on any computer.
    Go Gators!

I don't want to have to learn/use two operating systems and Mac's are not used in the business world outside of a few niche markets.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    But...they are shiny!

Best of both worlds is an altered version of OSx to play around with on any computer.
    Or run Boot Camp for Windows on the Mac. I've never owned an Apple computer but I'm considering it because of Vista.

So... Vista is fine as long as you bought a new computer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So... Vista is fine as long as you bought a new computer, right?
    Maybe, but the laptop I bought that is "Vista ready" with 1gig of ram begs to differ.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Or run Boot Camp for Windows on the Mac. I've never owned an Apple computer but I'm considering it because of Vista.
    Then consider Ubuntu... it's free.. that's F-R-E-E

Can't game on it though.

Question for MAC users: How well do Macs run XP and windows-based software? How much software/games can they actually run? I'd like to own a mac, but I'd still like my pc-related stuff...

Underneath the hood a Mac and a PC are identical.

The only differences between a PC and a Mac are the shiny case, the trendy marketing tactics and the price tag.

If you are happy paying extra for a computer that only runs about 15% of the available software then buy a Mac.

After you buy that Mac you can buy a Boze Wave radio, a Dyson Cyclone vacuum cleaner, a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifier and whatever other overpriced, overhyped gimmick gadgets you can get your hands on. There are always people lining up to pay extra for an inferior product.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Question for MAC users: How well do Macs run XP and windows-based software? How much software/games can they actually run? I'd like to own a mac, but I'd still like my pc-related stuff...
    From my understanding, with Boot Camp Xp would run on it just like it would on a Dell, HP, whatever. In fact, search around and you'll see some reviews of Windows programs on Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Then consider Ubuntu... it's free.. that's F-R-E-E

Can't game on it though.
    I tried it a year ago and there were some things I liked. After I spent hours just to get my wireless to work and for it to display a widescreen resolution, I ditched it. It's probably better now and I like how they have an upgrade cycle of six months.

Honestly though (not that I condone or promote it), it's not that hard to get any software free through a torrent. Being a student also helps as I bought at least three legit versions of XP and Office for about $15 each.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I tried it a year ago and there were some things I liked. After I spent hours just to get my wireless to work and for it to display a widescreen resolution, I ditched it. It's probably better now and I like how they have an upgrade cycle of six months.

Honestly though (not that I condone or promote it), it's not that hard to get any software free through a torrent. Being a student also helps as I bought at least three legit versions of XP and Office for about $15 each.
    It's a bit better this term than last from what I can tell (and have heard).. I agree about the discounts, as a developer I'm married to MS.. but I do like to know what else is out there business wise.. fact is not much in the mac world and nothing that I can't get elsewhere.

My real gripe is with Jobs and his approach to the product as an cultural icon/image first over being a functional tool for the proletariat.

Plus I lived in the rise and the fall of Apple and I know more crap about them than I care to.

Turn Off Ads?