Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are looking at Piazza?

Reds are looking at Piazza?

MLBTradeRumors:

Mark Healey has heard rumblings that the Reds and Yankees are looking at Mike Piazza.
    Gotham Baseball:

Dusty Baker is telling friends that he's "confident" that Piazza will sign with the Reds because "Tommy (Lasorda) will want him to play for me". Though most of the people that are monitoring the Cincy backstop search say the Reds want a "throw and catch" guy, Baker is saying that he thinks "Piazza could hit 25 homers in the GAB."
    Last edited by BRM; 04-15-2008 at 01:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds are looking at Piazza?

If they sign him I hope they take enough time at AAA to see if the power is still there(it dried up last year). BTW, I would see him as 1B against LHP and a bat off the bench.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Piazza still can hit, I'm not sure about the fielding as he can't throw anyone out. He can play first in a pinch but again he is not very good over there. This move sounds of desperation to me but afterall these are desperate times.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Haunted by walks

Yes, GAB is a small ballpark but the distance from home to second is the same as any other.

I'd sign him as a bat off the bench with an occasional start at first base against a lefty. His defense is awful but this team needs some power off the bench.

As badly as this team needs right handed power, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

He'd be a good option at 1b.. kind of scary at C.

One the other hand though, if Ross looks to be out of action for some time, would Piazza be that much worse than Valentin, who can barely catch as well? Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

My wife would like this signing, she's had a crush on Piazza for years.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    He'd be a good option at 1b.. kind of scary at C.

One the other hand though, if Ross looks to be out of action for some time, would Piazza be that much worse than Valentin, who can barely catch as well? Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

My wife would like this signing, she's had a crush on Piazza for years.
    I think that is a good point, Piazza would put more fans in the seats.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Piazza is also someone who will provide veteran leadership and plenty of postseason experience which this team isn't to abundant of.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Sign him up. Let him come off the bench ph, and occasionally play some 1b.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Man Pills

Don't see a place for him on an NL roster already sporting 12 pitchers.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He can't play the field anymore -- anywhere. His only role is as a RH PH. If he's on the team, he replaces Javy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Don't see a place for him on an NL roster already sporting 12 pitchers.
    Sure, it would just involve getting rid of one of the following:
    Hat
    Castro
    Freel
    Hopper

None of those four guys is critical, given the makeup of the team.

If you get rid of Hat, you don't lose any defensive flexiblity from the bench.
    If you'd rather keep Hat's LH bat off the bench, just get rid of one of the other guys.

If they are willing to make Phillips the emergency SS, they could easily give Castro the boot.

They could also option Hopper down for a few weeks to get time to figure out which bullpenner they want to push out to make room.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Piazza is really bad defensively, but he's not that much worse than Valentin.

But Piazza is a much better hitter than Valentin. I say bring him aboard. Backup catcher, backup RH first baseman, RH pinch hitter with pop. He fills a lot of roles and I agree he could hit a lot of HRs in GASmallPark. Health would be an issue though. He's old and he couldn't even stay healthy as a DH last year in Oakland. They were batting him cleanup at the beginning of last season and he was actually doing really well. But his body couldn't hold up. And no doubt Piazza was a steroid user IMO, so that is another thing to keep in mind. (If he comes here, I hope he still has a good HGH hookup... ha.)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I assume he would be the RH platoon at 1st, and PH.

He would only be an emergency catcher, and would replace Hopper/Freel or perhaps Hatteberg. Hattebeg would make more sense.

I doubt he would be a backup catcher.

I think when Ross comes back, Valentin is gone.

And when Gonzalez comes back, Castro is gone.

Freel/Hooper/Hatteberg (2 of)
    Piazza
    Keppinger
    Bako

Our lineup vs. LH pitching could be:

Hooper
    Keppinger
    Giffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Piazza
    EE
    Ross

or:

Keppinger
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Piazza
    Dunn
    EE
    Hopper
    Ross

It assumes that Piazza can hit LH pitching like he has in the past. That is by no means certain.

Turn Off Ads?