Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds after Piazza?

Reds after Piazza?

Link

Interesting

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds after Piazza?

I would really doubt he could catch anymore, but he might be an interesting right handed bat at first and off the bench.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

One would almost have to think it would be a move made with a trade in mind. Could they trade Hatteberg and platoon him at first, or maybe trade a catcher? Don't know, but it would be interesting to say the least.

I'd go for it. Piazza surely knows that he's not an everyday catcher anymore. But that right handed bat sure could help. He could get plenty of AB's at 1B, PH, or catching.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I like it as well. Gives a boost to the right side of the plate, plus you are free to move Hattie and/or Javy for middle relief help (not that you weren't free before — it just looks better now). Don't overpay, but definitely pursue this one.

Dump Hatte and im fine with it. The platoon would make much more sense than the way it is now with 2 LH 1bs.

No no no. He doesn't thrown out anyone behind the plate... literally.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    No no no. He doesn't thrown out anyone behind the plate... literally.
    How does that differ from Javier. Platoon him at 1st with a started a C every once in a while and cut Castro, or Javier, or Coffey to make room

Javier throw out 11% last season same as Piazza this last season as a catcher, but Piazza calls a better game

I'll take 2006 Piazza...283/342/501. But I would expecting more like 260/310/440 from the 2008 model.

I read the article. It seems both teams realize his defense isn't what it once was. They would be seeking to acquire him for his power(Dusty mentioned him hitting 25 HR in GABP), and his ability to handle a pitching staff. I would be for it if he could do a good job handling our young pitchers.

The righty bat would be interesting of course. The Reds have a lot of decisions to make soon, even more if they add a player like Piazza. I'd say Edwin has 2 more series to work out the swing or he'll be doing it in AAA while Kepp/Freel man 3rd.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I know what the article said about him not being happy at 1st, but I would be really surprised if Cincy or anybody else put him behind the plate, even occasionally. It especially doesn't make sense here, seeing as how, once Ross gets back, you have two above-average defensive catchers that bat from either side of the plate. I really think, regardless of what Piazza says, you are looking at 1st base starts against leftys and a RH power bat off the bench. I also can't see them cutting Bako with the way he's worked with Volquez and Johnny K. So if all of those pieces fall into place (Hattie and Javy are movable and Piazza will sign at a low cost), I think it is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The righty bat would be interesting of course. The Reds have a lot of decisions to make soon, even more if they add a player like Piazza. I'd say Edwin has 2 more series to work out the swing or he'll be doing it in AAA while Kepp/Freel man 3rd.
    Keppinger will be at short at least another month or 2 until Gonzalez gets healthy(if he ever does); Freel is in no danger of taking anyone's starting spot. I expect there is time for Edwin to turn things around.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Bring him on. He's RH and there's almost no way we'd ever want him to catch. Plus, he is a good veteran presence in the clubhouse - he would replace Hatte's veteran spiritual creaminess.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

There is no reason to Play him at 1st Base... Everytime a Left Handed Pitcher Starts, he should Catch and otherwise be a Pinch Hitter.

Votto needs to start everyday... at 1st.

Turn Off Ads?