Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for high blood pressure

Suggestions for high blood pressure

So I got some bad news today. I'm 22 years old, soon to be 23, and my blood pressure is at 160/90, NOT GOOD. My doctor told me it's not dangerous territory, but that I need to address the problem and quickly. Because of my age, he doesn't want to put me on medication yet.

Anyways, any suggestions? I've flat-out abused my body the last two years. I worked at a restaurant and had everything I shouldn't eat, and if you couple that with inactivity, you get a bad situation.

For those of you that have experiences with high blood pressure, what foods should I stay away from? What foods should I eat the most? How much exercise should I do? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, this is foreign territory to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Suggestions for high blood pressure

Stay away from the game threads.

I have heard you should cut down on salt but I am not positive. Your doctor should have given you a list. Try doing a google search.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ssure+remedies

Best wishes.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Physical fitness.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Seriously, however, your doctor should have worked with you to develop a "game plan" to deal with the issues that you are facing. He can give you much better advice than anyone here b/c he should know your body better than anyone besides yourself.

I can tell you that you should be getting at least of 30 minutes of exercise every day and eat tons of fruits and vegetables. Your doctor should have given you some "rules to live by," however.

A very good friend of mine is going through this right now, although he's older than you. He said the only thing his doctor told him was to get regular exercise. I was a bit surprised because I really thought he would be told to change his diet somewhat. A google search or looking on WebMD should get you some good advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I can tell you that you should be getting at least of 30 minutes of exercise every day and eat tons of fruits and vegetables. Your doctor should have given you some "rules to live by," however.
    Are 12 ounce curls considered "exercise"? If so, I'm all set.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Stay away from the game threads.

But on a serious note. Probably consult with a physician before you start a serious exercise program, if that's the plan you were thinking of taking. I probably wouldn't do intense cardio until the BP is more under control, at which time you can dial it up some if you feel the need.

Changing a diet is the truly hard part though. Try to eat lean proteins(poultry/fish), stay away from red meats if you can. I like to supplement to get some good fats(Omega 3's) with fish oil capsules, which are supposedly great for the heart and circulation.

I can probably come back with some more info for you later(I'm studying exercise science in school, I want to be a trainer lol)

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Are 12 ounce curls considered "exercise"? If so, I'm all set.
    It gives new meaning to the term "carbo-loading."

Wow, that's pretty tough news. I would probably tell my MD that I'd like help getting more fit and in better cardiovascular shape. Obviously, eating less and eating the right foods are important as is getting exercise, but you really need some professional help on this one because they can help you identify what the most effective course of action will be.

My mom has high BP and the one thing I know for certain is that salt is a no-no. Every time I eat at her house, she apologizes for the lack of salt on her cooking.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Excercise, excercise, excercise. I have HBP (I'm 41) also and was able to bring down to an acceptable level by taking my medicine and doing a lot of walking. I feel tremendously better also.

As far as diet, I think the biggest key is staying away from processed and fast food. Or if you can't do away with it entirely, eat it in moderation. Basically, anything in a box, can, sealed package (like lunchmeat, hot dogs, etc.), and in your frozen food section is loaded with salt. You'd be amazed at how much salt is in that crap once you start actually looking at the labels.

At your age, I really think you'll be able to bring it down by excercising and watching what you eat.

Is alcohol also a no-no for people with high blood pressure?

I really appreciate all the responses so quickly. My doctor was very helpful in the discussion I had with him. He told me to stay away from salt, and to up my potassium and calcium intake, as well as exercising regularly.

I just thought it would help me understand it even further if I got some input from people that have experienced it. Makes for pretty devastating news when you're only 22, but it's the price one pays for not taking care of their body.

Thanks for all the help, it's GREATLY appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Is alcohol also a no-no for people with high blood pressure?
    Actually it is, but I don't drink, so no problems there

Turn Off Ads?