Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any Audiophiles Around These Parts?

Any Audiophiles Around These Parts?

I am definitely not an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to good music on my stereo. I was hoping someone around here could maybe give me suggestions on how to improve the sound from my current system.
    My system includes:
    • Marantz PM7200 Integrated Amplifier
    • Rega P1 Turntable (same cartridge that came with it)
    • Marantz CC4300 5 Disc CD Changer
    • Paradigm Monitor 7 Speakers

I listen to all types of music (indie rock, jazz, bluegrass, classical, folk, hippie stuff, etc) and I go through stages between my turntable and CD player as preferred source. The last few months has been my turntable.
    So if I want to improve my HIFI set-up, where should I start? Pre-amp, power amp, cartridge for my turntable, etc?
    Where am I going to get the best bang for my buck in upgrading my system?
    Look forward to what anyone has for advice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Any Audiophiles Around These Parts?

The best thing you can do is make the room you listen to music in sound better. There are no components, wiring, speaker stands or anything else that will improve the sound like a good sounding room.

Although geared towards recording studios, this site has a lot of great articles about speaker placement and bass trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The best thing you can do is make the room you listen to music in sound better. There are no components, wiring, speaker stands or anything else that will improve the sound like a good sounding room.

Although geared towards recording studios, this site has a lot of great articles about speaker placement and bass trapping.
    I've checked those out before, and thought about getting them. Then my fiance walked by the computer while the website was up and her comment, "If those go up on the walls, then I go out that door" made me think that would probably not get her seal of approval in my listening room (which happens to be our living room).

Anybody that loves music has my respect. My home stereo is very average but I have a recording studio that is filled with useful and serious gear. My monitors at he studio are Focal BTW - a pro version of JL labs (i think)

anyway - my initial thought is a better digital converter for your CD player. This is a pro audio site, but I suspect there might be a whole lot of valuable info for you there - I'll PM the site to you because, while it is a sincere (and busiest pro audio) site, it apparently has triggered Miss Manners.
    And thanks for the heads up, Heath!

BTW - the room improvement advice is dead on. Maybe for your room, get a big poofy couch!

good luck!
    Last edited by wally post; 04-15-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: censor patrol (innocent)

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    Anybody that loves music has my respect. My home stereo is very average but I have a recording studio that is filled with useful and serious gear. My monitors at he studio are Focal BTW - a pro version of JL labs (i think)

anyway - my initial thought is a better digital converter for your CD player. This is a pro audio site, but I suspect there might be a whole lot of valuable info for you here -
    www.gear****z.com.
    FOr your room, get a big poofy couch!

good luck!
    uh, you might want to PM that to Eddie, wally.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I've checked those out before, and thought about getting them. Then my fiance walked by the computer while the website was up and her comment, "If those go up on the walls, then I go out that door" made me think that would probably not get her seal of approval in my listening room (which happens to be our living room).
    Although the panels are helpful, I'm more talking about _where_ the speakers are and _where_ you listen from. You don't have to have a bunch of bass traps on the wall to achieve the better listening results. A couch or overstuffed chair placed against a wall, for example, can act as a bass trap. A bookcase full of books placed on the wall across from your speakers can act as a high end diffuser. Getting your speakers away from the wall can true their bass response. Triangulating your speakers with your listening position can optimize the stereo image. Decoupling your speakers from the floor can, again, true their bass response. You can get test-tones and free testing programs on the 'net to help you find the optimal setup for your listening environments.

Heck, sometimes even the best of us have our speakers wired out of polarity from each other so it pays to check and see if that's the case. If you're listening to a lot of record, making sure your vinyl is super clean and your needle is fresh will help.

The point is, I would recommend optimizing your placement and treating as much as you can while remaining "female-friendly" before adding or changing a component.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Although the panels are helpful, I'm more talking about _where_ the speakers are and _where_ you listen from. You don't have to have a bunch of bass traps on the wall to achieve the better listening results. A couch or overstuffed chair placed against a wall, for example, can act as a bass trap. A bookcase full of books placed on the wall across from your speakers can act as a high end diffuser. Getting your speakers away from the wall can true their bass response. Triangulating your speakers with your listening position can optimize the stereo image. Decoupling your speakers from the floor can, again, true their bass response. You can get test-tones and free testing programs on the 'net to help you find the optimal setup for your listening environments.

Heck, sometimes even the best of us have our speakers wired out of polarity from each other so it pays to check and see if that's the case. If you're listening to a lot of record, making sure your vinyl is super clean and your needle is fresh will help.

The point is, I would recommend optimizing your placement and treating as much as you can while remaining "female-friendly" before adding or changing a component.

I already had most of this stuff covered. I knew to be slightly up from the midpoint of the room, have the speakers going in the length direction, have them triangulated with your head at the listening position, separating them from the carpet, and don't sit in the middle of the room. I don't have an equilateral triangle going on with my speakers and listening position, but thats about it. If I could just get my fiancé to understand that chairs in front of the speakers are a no no, then I would be golden.

I did create a turntable mat that uses cork instead of felt, and it seems to work pretty good. I probably need to adjust the height of my tone arm though.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I already had most of this stuff covered. I knew to be slightly up from the midpoint of the room, have the speakers going in the length direction, have them triangulated with your head at the listening position, separating them from the carpet, and don't sit in the middle of the room. I don't have an equilateral triangle going on with my speakers and listening position, but thats about it. If I could just get my fiancé to understand that chairs in front of the speakers are a no no, then I would be golden.

I did create a turntable mat that uses cork instead of felt, and it seems to work pretty good. I probably need to adjust the height of my tone arm though.
    Ortofom needles, Daddy.

I am in love with them.

They don't wear out for a loooong time, unless you break them. Like I do. I once let out a drunken, blood curtling moan at 2:30 a.m. one night after breaking one. Neighbors were FREAKED.

Anyway, I'm not much of an audiophile, but I love my turntable and records, and I go through lots of needles and Ortofom's making the best I've heard.

The Germans, man. They know their Hi-Fi.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?