Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When is it time to stop saying: It's still too early.

When is it time to stop saying: It's still too early.

I think this is a great question to pose to all of you Sun Deckers.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: When is it time to stop saying: It's still too early.

We'll only be 6-8 after this game, having played a very tough schedule. Strangely enough, the only team to take a series against us was the freaking Pirates.

I have no idea when it's too late to claim "it's too early" but I do know it's too early right now.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

When is it time? Probably now or just accept the fact that the ballclub isn't that good. Could be another year of fighting to stay out of the cellar.

Memorial Day is the day. Very few teams "turn it around" after this date. Sure we all can name a team here and their who had a great 2nd half of the season, but these teams are few and far between.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I think the Fourth of July. You can still win it and not be in first place on this day, but it is much more difficult.

July 4th is about right. That is right about when the Yankees turned it around last year. The Cubs were 32-39 on June 20th last year, and they didn't move to first until Aug. 1.

Also the 75 Reds were 20-20 on May 20th. This team is a long, long way away from being out of it.

It's time to stop saying, "It's still too early......."

....after 40 games.

A successful formula for getting to the playoffs is to strive to be at 20-20 after 40 games. After 40 games, you've now had a chance to see the entire 25-man roster, in addition to get a look at your top 10 replacements at AAA or who have been back at extended Spring Training or the DL, and to have a solid idea of the makeup of the club.

Then, after 40 games, the main stretch of the season begins. After 40 games, you have to start winning series most of the time. Do that, and by the end of August you're in position to make a push for the playoffs with a solid September.

But, before 40 games, you're just trying to get everyone loose, get everyone some playing time, and get everyone into some sort of rhythm, along with sorting out everyone's roles.

So, after a measly 14 games, the REDS are not even close to being evaluated as to whether the season is over.

Do I like how Dusty manages? I hate his lineups, but I like his in-game managing so far. He's not going anywhere, unfortunately, so I guess I guess I'll wait and see if he can pull it off and get the team to pull together.

The reality is that nothing's happened that we haven't expected to happen because of Baker. So far, the REDS are exactly where they are supposed to be. Let's hope they start winning in spite of Dusty.

Time to Shine, Edwin!

Yeah, it's Baker's fault....

Who cares that we're a .500 team on paper with a 6-8 record and rank 11th in the NL in hitting and 7th in pitching.

Later because with Harang pitching and the team scoring 5 runs you expect to wing 95% of those games
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Depends on how many games they're out at any given time. (Bland answer, I know.)

I don't think people need to panic just yet. 92% of the games have yet to be played.

We suck. Just had to get that off my chest.

I think the reason we have these types of discussions is because the reds community is split between people that live in reality and people that are extreme Optimists type fans.

I find the majority of these forums are filled with people that lean towards the extreme optimists side of things. The types that still Talk about playoffs when were 15 games back with 20 games left to play.

Im not saying its not too early.

But if we were a different ball club with a different history. It would definitely be WAY too early.
    Unfortunately were the reds. And because of that history its hard to hold enough HOPE that this is just a slump and were going to climb out of it.

----------------------------------------------------------

But im going to give it one hell of shot! We can still win this Scrubbies series! Go REDS!

The biggest problem I have with this team is that these are the SAME problems we've been having for a few years. Should be blame Wayne for not getting the right personnel? Should be blame the players for not adjusting AT ALL? Should be blame Dusty for not putting these players at the best position to succeed?

I have no idea, but all I know is that I could copy a post about the team's problems from May 17th, 2006 and it would be valid for the team right now.

Turn Off Ads?