Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The lineup NEEDS a shakeup...

The lineup NEEDS a shakeup...

The current combination is obviously not working... You can say its early, but its been 14 games, and I'd say there is one game where we have performed well offensively, and that was that Sunday against the Phils... Something needs to change....

Keppinger (singles hitter.... and is fine with that, the only one of those that we have)
    Dunn(He simply isn't getting pitches in the 5 hole, and its tough to work him into another spot)
    Phillips/JR in the 3/4 (I really don't care about the order here)
    Votto/CP/EE 5/6/7..... you can combine them either way, depends on where you put the 3/4 guys
    Bako
    P

This offense is painful to watch. It really is. 14 games is a lot of games. Please can we make a change Dusty?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The lineup NEEDS a shakeup...

This team is in a coma.....Same ole Reds, just a different year. :thumbdown

Bruce and Bailey needs to be called up and just let them take their lumps. They need major league innings and the convidence to know that no matter how bad of an outing they have, they will be back in the line-up. Not knowing if you are going to be sent down the next day or after a bad outing can lead to pressure that will affect your game. I really feel this is why they have been so successful in triple A. They know they are not going to be sent back to double A, that eases pressure, they can relax and allow their special abilities to come out and dominate.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

As everyone says, Votto needs to play everyday. He just now homered by the way.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Despite everyone's whining, everyone has to accept that Dusty will not make major changes to this lineup. He likes speed at top and power in the middle. That's why I think the only change he would consider is switching Patterson and Keppinger. That would keep speed at the top, but at least put the better OBP hitter in the leadoff spot.

The only other moves would involve a change in personal, which is very likely.

I also see absolutely no chance that Griffey gets traded before he hits 600. Anyway, he is not the problem. The problem is that the Reds need a big time, top of the line RH power hitter to hit fourth. I can't name a team that has made the playoffs lately that did not have a solid cleanup hitter. Phillips is a good hitter, but not a cleanup hitter by any means, and Dunn is even worse. Until the Reds get one, they will never compete.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Despite everyone's whining, everyone has to accept that Dusty will not make major changes to this lineup. He likes speed at top and power in the middle. That's why I think the only change he would consider is switching Patterson and Keppinger. That would keep speed at the top, but at least put the better OBP hitter in the leadoff spot.

The only other moves would involve a change in personal, which is very likely.

I also see absolutely no chance that Griffey gets traded before he hits 600. Anyway, he is not the problem. The problem is that the Reds need a big time, top of the line RH power hitter to hit fourth. I can't name a team that has made the playoffs lately that did not have a solid cleanup hitter. Phillips is a good hitter, but not a cleanup hitter by any means, and Dunn is even worse. Until the Reds get one, they will never compete.
    How would you make this happen? There really are only 3 options: a trade, the minor leagues, and free agency. A power hitter like the one you describe would cost too much in free agency, we have no one(that I know of) like that in the minor leagues, and I don't foresee a trade to acquire this player. I am all for it; I just don't see it happening in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    How would you make this happen? There really are only 3 options: a trade, the minor leagues, and free agency. A power hitter like the one you describe would cost too much in free agency, we have no one(that I know of) like that in the minor leagues, and I don't foresee a trade to acquire this player. I am all for it; I just don't see it happening in the near future.
    I agree, it won't happen this year. But if the Reds let both Jr and Dunn go next year (or sooner) they would have plenty to go get a guy like that next year.
    This year, I say trade Dunn in June when you can, bring up Bruce, move EE to the RH backup 1b and bench job, and play freel at 3rd until Gonzo gets back.

Senor Votto

How much longer till we start to see a different lineup? Dusty, for the most part, has stayed with the same exact lineup this season.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Dusty does have it in his head that Corey Patterson is an ideal leadoff batter because he is fast. That's probably not going to change, seeing as how he is not real open to change.

I think that Kepp should be leading off with CP hitting right behind him followed by Dunn, Phillips, Griffey. That gives Dunn more pitches to hit and Griffey a better chance to drive in runs with his capacity for base hits. Other than those two changes though, I think it's a matter of bad luck leaving those guys on base.

We could be in a scarier situation...we could not be getting anybody on base at all.

What makes people think the Reds don't have money to spend? This isn't Uncle Carl's Reds... The Reds have the money to spend to acquire any player they want. I think you have to spend money to make money. Don't give a couple million to the Castro, Stanton, Cormier's of the world. Pay for the big guns like they did with Cordero. Do your homework on injury histroy and throw big bucks at young free agents that fill a need, such as CF, C, 3B, or SS.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The problem is that the Reds need a big time, top of the line RH power hitter to hit fourth. I can't name a team that has made the playoffs lately that did not have a solid cleanup hitter. Phillips is a good hitter, but not a cleanup hitter by any means, and Dunn is even worse. Until the Reds get one, they will never compete.
    This is not the problem. What do those big power hitters do A LOT?

They strike out.

We have enough of that on our team. Our team is full of power. We have 3 30+ hr type guys. Before we traded hamilton we had 4 of them. We should be grateful for that.

The problem with this team is not POWER hitting.

The problem with this team is fundamentals. Not being able to bunt and hit sac-flys is killing this team. You can slump thats fine. But not being able to be successul with the fundamentals is inexcusable.

Why do the Reds (every manager since what Boone?) have a fascination with hitting Dunn 5th or lower? Edwin hasnt had the type of success that makes teams think about pitching to Dunn put someone like Phillips or Griffey behind Dunn and you might see a better Dunn as teams know theres someone behind Dunn just as able to put the ball 420+ ft away in the seats. Dunn is 0-3 with runners on and 2 outs, I'm sure people will say "he's not doing his job". His OBP... .750 hes walked 3 times that tells me other managers are pitching around him to get to whoever hits 6th. Last year largely hitting 5th...
    BA .254 OBP .472 RISP with 2 outs, BA .241 OBP .403 that alone tells me people dont respect our 6th hole hitter at all regardless of who its been. Let Dunn bat ahead of Griffey and/or Phillips and I think youd see a different Dunn.

The lineup has ALWAYS confused me because no matter who the manager is he puts Dunn with little protection behind him when he could be much better utilized with his skill set.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-16-2008 at 06:27 PM.

How about shaking Patterson to another organization? Let him take Fogg, Castro, and Lincoln with him.

And Edwin.

Edwin is NOT A GOOD HITTER.
    The last half of 2007 was an anomaly.

Turn Off Ads?