Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Bruce article from Trent's blog

Jay Bruce article from Trent's blog

Bruce's time will come
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 06:21 PM EST [Reds]

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Jay Bruce is anxious to get to the big leagues, but that’s nothing new.

“I get anxious about everything. I have to step back and realize it’s really early,” Bruce said before Monday’s doubleheader in Louisville. “When the time comes, it’ll come soon enough. I don’t need to get in a hurry. My time will come.”

That, everyone is sure will be soon.

“When he’s ready to go up, he’ll be ready to go up,” Bats manager Rick Sweet said Monday.

After Monday’s games, Bruce was hitting .298 with two home runs and seven RBIs. But he’s also struck out 12 times in 47 at-bats.. He was 1-for-6 in Monday’s doubleheader with an RBI.

“I’m getting locked in, I’m still missing some pitches I should hit, but it’s still early,” Bruce said.

Named the top prospect in baseball after last season, expectations are high for Bruce. He was invited to big league camp and used it to learn. Bruce got off to a hot start early in spring, but struggled after a strained quad in the second week of exhibition games. He finished the spring hitting .262 with 11 strikeouts and only one extra base hit in 42 at-bats.

Bruce, and many vocal Reds fans, was hoping he’d be on the Opening Day roster, but instead he started at Class AAA Louisville.

“There was definitely disappointment, but it’s something I had to take in stride and understand they’re going in a different direction at the time,” Bruce said. “I’m just going to come out here and play hard and push the envelope as much as I can and be ready when the time comes.”

Being ready is more than swinging the bat well, it’s also finding a place to play. When Bruce is brought up to the Reds, it’ll be to play, not just to fill out a uniform. That’s why he’s been getting seasoning at different positions. Although he is projected by most to be a right fielder, he’s played quite a bit of center and even a smattering of games in left. He started the second game of Monday’s doubleheader in left.

“It’s funny, (last week) we were stretching and I always figure I’m playing center or right and one of the guys said I was playing left. I didn’t believe them,” Bruce said. “I asked Sweetie and he said I was. You’ve got to be ready for anything. I think everyone knows who is in right field, who is in left field and who is in center field (in Cincinnati). Those guys are moving. When the time comes for me to be there, I want to be ready to play anywhere. I want to be as comfortable as I can be at any position.”

To that end, Bruce has been keeping a close eye on the veterans at Louisville, like Jerry Hairston Jr., Jolbert Cabrera, Andy Phillips and Andy Green.

“It’s amazing what they know, just from being around the game,” Bruce said. “Just being around, it’s amazing what I don’t know. You think you know a lot, I still have a lot to learn from the mental part, learning from Sweet and (hitting coach) Smokey (Garrett) and all the veteran guys. It’s just tendencies and situational stuff and where to throw the ball then. It’s second-nature to them and it’s not quite second-nature to me but it should be.”

What’s impressed some of those older guys is just how much is second-nature for Bruce, who celebrated his 21st birthday last week and is the youngest player on the Bats, nearly a full year younger than Homer Bailey and three years younger than the next-youngest Bat.

“One think I’m impressed with, his abilities are up there, but for such a young age, he’s got a high baseball IQ, but he also knows he has a lot to learn. He’s getting a chance to play every day and develop. He’s going to be a special player for a lot of years,” said Hairston, who came up with the Orioles and said he learned at the feet of Cal Ripken Jr. and Brady Anderson. “(Bruce) reminds me of Larry Walker. I got a chance to play against him and he reminds me of (Walker). He’s a Larry Walker-type player. Those are pretty big shoes to fill. He’s really young, and he has that buggy whip like Larry with the bat, he has a great arm and knows how to run the bases well, too. Larry Walker was always concerned with scoring runs, not so much average or stealing bases, it’s about how many runs you score. That’s big and that’s what made Larry a great player, he scored a lot of runs.”

Whenever he does make his debut in the big leagues, Sweet doesn’t expect him to be back in Louisville.

“He’s still 21, he’s still young. But he can flat-out play this game, “ Sweet said. “And he loves to play this game. He’s going to be fine.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce article from Trent's blog

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    “It’s funny, (last week) we were stretching and I always figure I’m playing center or right and one of the guys said I was playing left. I didn’t believe them,” Bruce said. “I asked Sweetie and he said I was. You’ve got to be ready for anything. I think everyone knows who is in right field, who is in left field and who is in center field (in Cincinnati). Those guys are moving. When the time comes for me to be there, I want to be ready to play anywhere. I want to be as comfortable as I can be at any position.”
    What's he mean by "those guys are moving"?

Typo. Read it as "those guys aren't moving." At least, that's my guess based on the context.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Typo. Read it as "those guys aren't moving." At least, that's my guess based on the context.
    Yeah, that's how I read it too.

btw where you been? I haven't seen you posting in a while. We've missed ya.

Makes more sense that way...a Freudian slip of the keyboard.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

It's an eventuality that all players will move--except possibly Dunn, who looks like he's never moving when he's in the outfield.

btw where you been? I haven't seen you posting in a while. We've missed ya.
    Aww, thanks.

I changed jobs, moved away, and have been mostly slammed ever since.

I've missed you guys, too.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Aww, thanks.

I changed jobs, moved away, and have been mostly slammed ever since.

I've missed you guys, too.
    Shame on you. Reds baseball always come before work.

Nice to see you around again.

Shame on you. Reds baseball always come before work.

Nice to see you around again.
    Yeah. Where's your priorities in life?

Turn Off Ads?