Thread: Adam Dunn so far...

Adam Dunn so far...

6 Hits
    17 Walks...

(through 5th inning on 4/16)

Can we please move him from the 5 spot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn so far...

Maybe hitting him 3rd in front of Junior would be good. He would guaranteed see more pitches to hit...

Batting Phillips 5th, then Votto, then EE

what about batting him second?
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

U would have 3 leftys batting in a row

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyRedsFan View Post
    what about batting him second?
    THANK YOU! Aren't his career numbers there pretty good?

what if Keppinger leads off, Dunn second, Griff, BP, Patterson, EE, Votto, C, P

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    U would have 3 leftys batting in a row
    Move Phillips to the three hole

or that
    Patterson, Dunn, BP, Griff, Keppinger, EE, Votto, etc,

The fact that he has that many walks is a reason he hasn't gotten a good batting average yet. He's being more patient at the plate, as where this time of the year last year he would be batting .290 with 4 home runs and 500,000 Ks.

I wouldn't mind Dunn in the 2 hole. I don't like Patterson leading off at all. I would lead off Phillips, Dunn second is ok with me, Kep third. I know Kep isn't going to hit 30 HRs, but he is the best hitter on this team. Jay Bruce should be up and batting 4th, just like the Brewers did with Braun last year. Put him right in the middle of the lineup day 1. Griffey 5, EE 6(until Gonzo gets back), Votto 7, C 8, P 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Move Phillips to the three hole
    no no no. Bad OBP, too many double plays. He should bat 5th.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54395

I started this thread awhile ago. I think it still holds weight. It basically uses statistical analysis to show that Dunn's strengths are maximized with him hitting second.

He seems to get on base pretty well, I think putting him 2nd would help.

Everybody including Dusty and other Dunn loathers need to realize he is what he is. He is not going to wakeup one day and hit for a high average or hit long bombs with RISP. He does however have great plate discipline, he maximizes his at bats by taking what the pitcher gives him. If the pitcher is willing to walk him either by pitching around him or simply trying to get him to chase, he does not swing. That is great HITTING! Swinging for the sake of putting wood on the ball is not GOOD HITTING. The chances of anyone hitting a ball with any authority outside of the strikezone goes down dramatically when that is the case.

So by batting him second, he gets one more plate appearance every 9 innings, he hits ahead of the second best hitter on the team (Griffey, Phillips, Kep depending on your opinion), and if we had a decent OBP leadoff hitter, he hits more often with runners on base. If that runner is not on base, he draws more walks to start a strong inning from the second spot. He is also a great batter to have at the plate with somoene like CPATT or Hopper on first because the chances are greater the pitcher will throw outside of the zone or throw an offspeed pitch which maximizes the chances of a successul stolen base of second.

But yet, everyone wants him to be something he's not. Yes, he's as Big as Big Papi, yes he can hit the ball into the Ohio, but he is not the answer if you want him to hit in the clutch and get a ton of RBI's.

I propose at least batting Griffey behind Dunn for once and seeing what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54395

I started this thread awhile ago. I think it still holds weight. It basically uses statistical analysis to show that Dunn's strengths are maximized with him hitting second.
    Everybody including Dusty and other Dunn loathers need to realize he is what he is. He is not going to wakeup one day and hit for a high average or hit long bombs with RISP. He does however have great plate discipline, he maximizes his at bats by taking what the pitcher gives him. If the pitcher is willing to walk him either by pitching around him or simply trying to get him to chase, he does not swing. That is great HITTING! Swinging for the sake of putting wood on the ball is not GOOD HITTING. The chances of anyone hitting a ball with any authority outside of the strikezone goes down dramatically when that is the case.

So by batting him second, he gets one more plate appearance every 9 innings, he hits ahead of the second best hitter on the team (Griffey, Phillips, Kep depending on your opinion), and if we had a decent OBP leadoff hitter, he hits more often with runners on base. If that runner is not on base, he draws more walks to start a strong inning from the second spot. He is also a great batter to have at the plate with somoene like CPATT or Hopper on first because the chances are greater the pitcher will throw outside of the zone or throw an offspeed pitch which maximizes the chances of a successul stolen base of second.

But yet, everyone wants him to be something he's not. Yes, he's as Big as Big Papi, yes he can hit the ball into the Ohio, but he is not the answer if you want him to hit in the clutch and get a ton of RBI's.

I propose at least batting Griffey behind Dunn for once and seeing what happens.
    I agree with both these posts. But if they are true, then you have to conclude that Dunn is not worth signing after this season, and probably should be traded this season.

A number 2 hitter, no matter how good, is not worth a five year $85M contract, which is what Dunn will get in the open market. That type of contract, especially on the Reds, should go to a cleanup hitter or number 3 hitter, basically you best hitter who the other teams are afraid of.

The Reds have a great number two hitter in Keppinger, and have no great cleanup hitter. They have no one that the other teams is afraid to pitch to. Any championship teams needs a player like that, and Dunn is not that player.

I think the Reds need to replace Dunn with Bruce. Trade Dunn in June when you can, call up Bruce and move Griffey to left. Bruce might not be that hitter this year, but he should be soon, and he can't be worse than Dunn in the clutch right now.
    Last edited by 757690; 04-19-2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo

Turn Off Ads?