Keppinger
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Bruce
    Votto
    Ross/Bako

There is way too much dead weight on the roster. The honeymoon with Corey Patterson is over as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Re: Moves That Need to be Made

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The honeymoon with Corey Patterson is over as well.
    That didn't take long.

You have two lefties there at the bottom of that lineup, Dusty won't do that
    Go Gators!

I'm fine with keeping Freel and Valentin. Coffey could use the minors but he is the least of our worries if he isn't put into the game with the lead.

Bako is not going to keep hitting.

Fogg must go.

Fogg gives up nine runs in Reds' loss to Cubs

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Thursday, April 17, 2008

CHICAGO Homer Bailey. Matt Belisle. Justin Lehr. Daryl Thompson. Phineas T. Bluster. Moby Dick.

Anybody, but anybody, but Josh Fogg.

When Fogg's turn rolls around Monday, April 21, in Great American Ball Park against the Los Angeles Dodgers, if somebody else isn't pitching then the Cincinnati Reds aren't trying.

Try these numbers on for size, and they definitely come from Rochester Big & Tall: two-plus innings, nine runs, seven hits, two walks, a hit batsman, a home run, four doubles.

What did they expect? Three times Fogg has given up nine runs in a game, all three times to the Chicago Cubs.

It was the grand opening of a 12-3 victory for the Cubs, pushing the Reds' losing streak to five and making it looking-glass clear that it is time for a change.

Asked if a change could be made, manager Dusty Baker said, "We might."

Ah, might makes right.

Bailey is 2-1 with a 1.42 ERA in three starts at Class AAA Louisville, and his one loss was on a home run that hit atop the ball and skipped over.

Belisle, on rehab for a sore arm, is 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA in starts at Class A Sarasota, Class AA Chattanooga and Louisville.

Lehr is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA in two starts at Louisville and was International League Pitcher of the Week.

Thompson is only at Chattanooga, but he is the guy during spring training who faced the New York Yankees in Tampa and struck out the side, then faced them again and went 1-2-3. He is 2-0 for the Lookouts with a 0.51 ERA and was Southern League Pitcher of the Week.

The Reds did little against Chicago starter Carlos Zambrano seven innings, two runs, eight hits and Zambrano rubbed their noses in it by slapping three hits of his own.

"We didn't have much of a chance," Baker said. "You give Big-Z a 10-run lead in the third, and you might catch up, but not likely."

Fogg's personal assessment was succinct and centered on something associated with the equine world.

Baker mentioned that the Reds were unable to use the prevailing winds, blowing out to left, but Fogg refused to use it as an excuse.

"I didn't pitch well, so the way the wind was blowing didn't matter," he said. "Zambrano pitched well, so it didn't bother him."

Some positive news? Relief pitcher Jeremy Affeldt pitched two scoreless innings and struck out five, when the score already was 10-1.

Left fielder Adam Dunn in his 15th game had his first double when the score already was 10-1, then hit his second home run of the year when the score was 11-2.

Baker permitted Fogg to stay on the mound longer than he normally would, an attempt to save the bullpen for this afternoon's game and a string of 14 more days in a row without rest.

As it was, he used Mike Lincoln, Jeremy Affeldt, Ken Mercker, David Weathers and Francisco Cabrera.

"With a day game coming up, that's not much turn-around time for the bullpen guys who pitched to recuperate," he said. "We need Edinson Volquez (today's starter) to go deep into the game and save our bullpen.

"We have Milwaukee coming in to Cincinnati for the weekend, a high-powered offense, and we need a fresh bullpen," Baker added.

The warning signals came before the first pitch Fogg threw. He was as bad in the bullpen as he was in the game.

"It was a little bit of everything on Josh location, got behind, didn't have his normal velocity or his change-up," said Baker.

"I was talking to Javy (catcher Javier Valentin), and he said Josh didn't have much in the bullpen warming up, either."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html

- DFA Castro
    - Promote Bruce ... bat him lead-off and pencil him into CF EVERY DAY ... CPatt becomes 4th OFer
    - Demote Coffey
    - Promote Belisle (place into Fogg's spot in the rotation)
    - Place Fogg on waivers ... promote Bill Bray
    - Play Joey Votto EVERY DAY
    - Attempt to trade Freel ... Fropper is way too derivative for a team like the Reds
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Bruce really doesn't belong leading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Maybe not when his development is finished, just that I'd rather have him at the top then at the bottom (which is where Dusty would likely "break him in.")

Bruce
    Kepp
    Dunn
    Griffey
    B.Phil
    EE
    Votto
    Catcher
    Pitcher
    Last edited by WMR; 04-17-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fay:

Changes on the way?

I aksed Dusty Baker if the Reds might have to go to minors to get some pitching help in the wake of the 12-3 bashing Wednesday.

His answer: "We might."

But the look on his face said: We better.

Josh Fogg has averaged 3 1/3 innings in his three starts with the Reds. That kills the bullpen.

The Reds have plenty of choices in the minors: Homer Bailey is 2-1 with a 1.42 ERA in three starts for the Triple-A Louisville. Matt Belisle is 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA in three minor league rehab starts. Daryl Thompson is 2-0 with 0.51 ERA at Double-A.

It's early. But it will get late quick if the Reds don't turn it around.

Agreed. 6 or 7 to start off would work for me.

Then again, he is a CFer...

I must say, I am very fond of having a manager with the chutzpah to say something and have upper management actually take note, listen, and often acquiesce to his problems with the roster. The days of "Yes-Men" are apparently finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Agreed. 6 or 7 to start off would work for me.

Then again, he is a CFer...

Call me Dusty Junior.

I would just love getting Bruce the max number of ABs. I think his OB skills will be just sick.

Eh, I give Homer Bailey more than three starts in Louisville to work his problems out. I'm encouraged with his progress through three starts but I'd like to see him get at least 12-15 starts before I'd consider calling him up. Daryl Thompson? Nah. He's got exactly 17.2 innings in Double-A. He's not nearly ready yet. Ship out Josh Fogg and replace him with Matt Belisle. Send Todd Coffey to Louisville and bring up Bill Bray in his place. Send out one of Freel/Hopper and sign Mike Piazza as a RH bat off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I would just love getting Bruce the max number of ABs.
    Yeah, I can understand that. But the knock on him (if there's even been one) has always been a lack of walks. I'd think facing MLB pitching for the first time would be tough on anybody's OBP, even someone as good as Bruce.

However, I think his SLG will still be up there, so I wouldn't mind seeing him drive in his buddy Dunner all summer long.

You make a good point.

I'm not married to the idea.

Maybe:

Kepp
    Dunn
    EE
    Bruce
    Junior
    B.Phil
    Votto
    Catcher

Gets you a decent Lefty-Righty split while putting your highest OBP players in position to do the most damage. Minimizes Phillips GIDP while maximizing his slugging.

Turn Off Ads?