Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hal is not a big fan of Fogg....

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Hal is not a big fan of Fogg....

Fogg gives up nine runs in Reds' loss to Cubs

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Thursday, April 17, 2008

CHICAGO — Homer Bailey. Matt Belisle. Justin Lehr. Daryl Thompson. Phineas T. Bluster. Moby Dick.

Anybody, but anybody, but Josh Fogg.

When Fogg's turn rolls around Monday, April 21, in Great American Ball Park against the Los Angeles Dodgers, if somebody else isn't pitching then the Cincinnati Reds aren't trying.

Try these numbers on for size, and they definitely come from Rochester Big & Tall: two-plus innings, nine runs, seven hits, two walks, a hit batsman, a home run, four doubles.

What did they expect? Three times Fogg has given up nine runs in a game, all three times to the Chicago Cubs.

It was the grand opening of a 12-3 victory for the Cubs, pushing the Reds' losing streak to five and making it looking-glass clear that it is time for a change.

Asked if a change could be made, manager Dusty Baker said, "We might."

Ah, might makes right.

• Bailey is 2-1 with a 1.42 ERA in three starts at Class AAA Louisville, and his one loss was on a home run that hit atop the ball and skipped over.

• Belisle, on rehab for a sore arm, is 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA in starts at Class A Sarasota, Class AA Chattanooga and Louisville.

• Lehr is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA in two starts at Louisville and was International League Pitcher of the Week.

• Thompson is only at Chattanooga, but he is the guy during spring training who faced the New York Yankees in Tampa and struck out the side, then faced them again and went 1-2-3. He is 2-0 for the Lookouts with a 0.51 ERA and was Southern League Pitcher of the Week.

The Reds did little against Chicago starter Carlos Zambrano — seven innings, two runs, eight hits — and Zambrano rubbed their noses in it by slapping three hits of his own.

"We didn't have much of a chance," Baker said. "You give Big-Z a 10-run lead in the third, and you might catch up, but not likely."

Fogg's personal assessment was succinct and centered on something associated with the equine world.

Baker mentioned that the Reds were unable to use the prevailing winds, blowing out to left, but Fogg refused to use it as an excuse.

"I didn't pitch well, so the way the wind was blowing didn't matter," he said. "Zambrano pitched well, so it didn't bother him."

Some positive news? Relief pitcher Jeremy Affeldt pitched two scoreless innings and struck out five, when the score already was 10-1.

Left fielder Adam Dunn — in his 15th game — had his first double when the score already was 10-1, then hit his second home run of the year when the score was 11-2.

Baker permitted Fogg to stay on the mound longer than he normally would, an attempt to save the bullpen for this afternoon's game and a string of 14 more days in a row without rest.

As it was, he used Mike Lincoln, Jeremy Affeldt, Ken Mercker, David Weathers and Francisco Cabrera.

"With a day game coming up, that's not much turn-around time for the bullpen guys who pitched to recuperate," he said. "We need Edinson Volquez (today's starter) to go deep into the game and save our bullpen.

"We have Milwaukee coming in to Cincinnati for the weekend, a high-powered offense, and we need a fresh bullpen," Baker added.

The warning signals came before the first pitch Fogg threw. He was as bad in the bullpen as he was in the game.

"It was a little bit of everything on Josh — location, got behind, didn't have his normal velocity or his change-up," said Baker.

"I was talking to Javy (catcher Javier Valentin), and he said Josh didn't have much in the bullpen warming up, either."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 04-17-2008 at 10:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal is not a big fan of Fogg....

Bring up somebody…anybody
    By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 09:02 PM

General Manager Wayne Krivsky doesn’t have to scan his Louisville roster sheet, doesn’t have to make a call on his cellphone to Louisville Bats manager Rick Sweet to ask any questions, doesn’t have to see anything in person.

Matt Belisle or Homer Bailey? Homer Bailey or Matt Belisle. Or maybe even Justin Lehr. Or how about Daryl Thompson?

Anybody but Josh Fogg. Puh-leeze?

What the Cincinnati Reds didn’t need Wednesday night was Fogg trying to stop a four-game losing streak. Anybody but Fogg.

And it was awful. In just three innings, the Reds looked as if they had been run over by the Chicago Transit Authority Blue Line, down 10-1 and definitely out. Fogg was a mere wisp of a glimpse to the Wrigley Field fans, only two-plus innings. But the Cubs saw him as clearly as crystal chandeliers.

Ahem, clear your breath, and inhale this - two-plus innings, nine runs, seven hits, two walks, a hit batsman, a home run, four doubles and several maids a-milkin.’

They can’t possibly think about sending Fogg to the fore again, can they? Stick him in the bullpen and send Todd Coffey to Louisville for some polish and varnish.

And bring somebody up.

Bailey is 2-1 in three Louisville starts with a 1.42 ERA, losing a 1-0 game on a home run that bounced on top of the fence and over.

Belisle, pitching on rehab in three games at Class A Sarasota, Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville is 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA. On Tuesday he pitched Louisville to a 4-1 win over Pawtucket, giving up one run and eight hits over seven innings with one walk and six strikeouts.

Heck, even Lehr. What’dya mean, EVEN Lehr? He was 2-0 last week at Louisville with a 0.60 ERA and was International League Pitcher of the Week.

Thomspon? Yeah, he’s only at Chattanooga, but he is burning down the bridges - 2-0 with a 0.51 ERA and Southern League Pitcher of the Week award in his portfolio.

And if that doesn’t happen, bring back Tom Browning.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...dyanybody.html

You know what, Hal's growing on me more this year than the past.

Maybe I'm getting old.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    You know what, Hal's growing on me more this year than the past.

Maybe I'm getting old.
    I liked the partridge in a pear tree reference myself.

Josh Fogg was possibly my worst miscalculation ever. I thought he was a good pickup. Oops. Note to self: a good deal really has very little to do with money.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Francisco Cabrera
    Does the man have no one editing his work?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Apparently not.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Josh Fogg was possibly my worst miscalculation ever. I thought he was a good pickup. Oops. Note to self: a good deal really has very little to do with money.
    I guess he did what the signing of a fringe-veteran stopgap was intended to do -- prevent a young pitcher who didn't look ready (Bailey) or a guy who wasn't 100% healthy in spring (Belisle) from having to take the ball right away. But to properly make use of a stopgap, the team has to be ready to move fast when the situation calls for it. I expected him to be bumped from the rotation at some point this season but I didn't think it would be this fast.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No. There's nothing left in the way of a copy-editor at any newspaper anymore. That's been true for 5 years at least.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Looking at his career numbers I would think he's barely above replacement level.

For the money, it was not a big deal and he did serve a purpose in giving a youngster some time, but with the emergence of Volquez and Cueto I think they now have a different situation than they originally anticipated when they signed Fogg.

With that said, I would rather Tom Shearn (or any of the AAAA's in Louisville) get Fogg's starts until Belisle or Bailey is ready. I don't think depth is any longer an issue to justify Josh Fogg occupying a roster spot.

The DDN probably has someone editing his copy ... it's just likely they know nothing about baseball or the Reds.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The DDN probably has someone editing his copy ... it's just likely they know nothing about baseball or the Reds.
    I don't don't mean this to be insulting but given Hal's eyesight, they probably have someone at least typing the material for him so there is at least some level of filter.

I really like Thompson but I would like to see him get a bit more time at AA this year before there is much talk of bringing him up for anything other than an emergency spot start or long relief. Less than 2 innings in Spring Training is hardly enough of a big league experience to throw him up to the Bigs this fast.
    Last edited by klw; 04-17-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Leave Bailey where he is for now. If Belisle isn't set to go then I'd bring up Lehr until Matt is ready. Thompson is still too green. I'd replace Coffey with Bray. Then I'd leave Todd in AAA the entire summer and hope he pitches well enough to make another team decide he's worth something, and I'd cut Majewski. He's shot and just wasting space at Louisville. Between Hopper and Freel one should go - likely Hopper, either bring up Hairston or Cabrera.

I'd also be working the phones trying to make a couple of deals - a RH power bat for the bench, a catcher who either provides adequate defense and a good bat or great defense and the outside chance that I could work a big deal for an everyday RH bat like Kemp. Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Cordero, Bruce. That's my small untouchable list. In the right deal everyone else could be had. A few like Bailey, Votto, and Frazier would be expensive but still available in the right deal.

I'd look to move Dunn, Arroyo and Junior but outside of Junior wouldn't trade them just to move their contracts. What I wouldn't do is panic because the Reds have a 5 game losing streak in April. In fact, any deal I made would have to help in 2009 and beyond, not just this summer. Not necessarily this summer, in fact, depending on who we're talking about.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I wonder if "Francisco Cabrera" appeared in the print version? A lot of newspapers only do cursory copy editing before slapping a story up on the web site, and then it goes through a more thorough edit later (or, at least, it's supposed to) as the print edition is created. And maybe they go back and fix the errors in the web copy and maybe they don't.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?