Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess who's older than he says he is.....

Guess who's older than he says he is.....

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/ballz/..._tejada_is.php

Miguel Tejada: Hey, Maybe I Should Finally Give You My Real Age
    Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 11:16:45 AM

Okay, just when I think I've heard it all, I hear something new.

Miguel Tejada told the Astros today that he's been lying about his age, and that he's actually 33, not 31. And he's telling the Astros this himself because he didn't want them to find it out from someone else.

Like someone else who? The Feds? Because they're investigating him for perjury?

Look, it's pretty common for players from the Dominican Republic to lie about their age and to say they're younger than they actually are. I don't think anybody out there really knows the true age of Julio Franco for example. And normally, this wouldn't be that big of deal. But Tejada's under investigation for lying to the Feds, and he's caught up in the baseball steroids controversy, so let's just say that this hit to credibility is probably just a little something he couldn't afford.

But since Miguel's in a truthful mood, perhaps he should be telling the Astros what was really in those B12 shots before the Feds decide to tell the Astros. -- John Royal

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guess who's older than he says he is.....

Isn't there some kind of new rule about suspending players who lied about their age or does that only apply to prospects?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Isn't there some kind of new rule about suspending players who lied about their age or does that only apply to prospects?
    Yes.

They have to moderate the Redszone game threads

I'm pretty sure both Volquez and Cueto are older than their stated ages. We know Bailey isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm pretty sure both Volquez and Cueto are older than their stated ages. We know Bailey isn't.
    Volquez has already went through age gate. It turns out he was only like a year older, if that. Cueto looks like he is 15 years old, so I doubt he's any older than his listed age.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes.

They have to moderate the Redszone game threads

Not anymore.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Volquez has already went through age gate. It turns out he was only like a year older, if that. Cueto looks like he is 15 years old, so I doubt he's any older than his listed age.
    Didn't know that about Volquez. I hope you're right about Cueto -- but he looks more 25 than 15.

High five!

I immediately thought "Albert Pujols."

The incorrect age issues was fixed 5-6 years ago for almost everyone except for established major leaguers who already had their visas. Which applies to guys like Tejada, Pujols, etc. Wonder what his real name is. This all came up after 9-11 when closer to inspection was given to visas and a bunch of Dominican players got caught up in the fact that they couldn't produce the proper documentation without using their real birth certificates ... thus their true identity and age came out.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Didn't know that about Volquez. I hope you're right about Cueto -- but he looks more 25 than 15.
    Yep. Volquez was originally signed by the Rangers in 2001 out of the DR under the name of Julio Reyes. After baseball's visa crackdown, it was discovered his actual name was Edison Volquez and he was 15 1/2 months older than originally thought. Sometime in late 2006 or early 2007 he informed the Rangers that his name had an "n" in it, so now it's Edinson.

I disagree with ya on Cueto. I think he's got a baby face. I swear I think he looks 15 in some photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The incorrect age issues was fixed 5-6 years ago for almost everyone except for established major leaguers who already had their visas. Which applies to guys like Tejada, Pujols, etc. Wonder what his real name is. This all came up after 9-11 when closer to inspection was given to visas and a bunch of Dominican players got caught up in the fact that they couldn't produce the proper documentation without using their real birth certificates ... thus their true identity and age came out.
    Yep. Pujols will be the next one caught. I'm guessing he's 30 or 31 years old.

Personally, if I was a club that signed one of these guys, I'd sue.

per rotoworld about Tejada

The interesting thing is that all his legal papers in the United States reflect his actual birthday. It's doubtful that any team that's thought about acquiring him over the years is particularly surprised by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yep. Pujols will be the next one caught. I'm guessing he's 30 or 31 years old.
    Albert came to the US in the 90s with his family(became a US citizen in 2007). He may be a couple of years older than his stated age but I would be surprised if he is "discovered" at this point.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-17-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Didn't Furcal gain 4 years of age when the Latin Players age shakedown happened a couple years back?

Turn Off Ads?