2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Loses His Mind!!!

makes sense to me! Can't be any worse!

Looks OK to me. My fingers are crossed.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I noticed that too. I hope it works though. At this point nothing else has been too effective so why not try it.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

When does the make-up of lefties and righties actually come in to play? Not until late in the game with relievers. So why not try something to shake it up a little and try and get some runs in early. If we don't score early it will not matter late (according to the way the Cubs hit the ball last night.) Not to mention, this leaves a Righty in BP on the bench to counter any move Penella would make by being able to move freel or Kep just about anywhere on the field. I like it.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

This lineup looks good to me. I totally agee with fugowithribe, the lineup has NOTHING to do with the pitching match-up until late in the game, but hopefully we will be up by enough that it won't really matter.
    Let's make some noise!

Any idea how the wind is blowing in Wrigley today?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Its blowing in^^^

And i dont mind this lineup.

Im just happy he is smart enough to at least change.

There is absolutely no time or place where having both Hopper and Freel batting back-to-back at the top of the lineup is a good thing. Talk about giving the pitcher a ride on the easy train. These two come up and hack at everything they see so the pitcher doesn't have to work at all for his outs. The first inning Lilly had two outs after only 3 pitches. In the 5th here, Hopper and Freel made the first two outs after only 2 pitches.

I can live with Patterson leading off, as long as you have a guy like Keppinger batting second who will make the pitcher work, but Hopper and Freel should never see the top of the order.

And now that I'm venting about lack of patience at the plate, this team is just painful to watch at times. The Cubs may not score any runs in an inning, but their inning will at least last more than 3 minutes. This offense makes lousy pitchers look good because their lack of plate discipline will allow them easy innings and to work late into games. It isn't that hard, make the pitcher work for it and force the opposing team to get into their bullpen early.

Plate discipline, probably one of the most underrated and underutilized fundamental aspects of baseball.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I don't know about the lineup but I think Joey Votto needs to play everyday. He's finally starting to hit and with the way we've been stranding guys on base lately, he just has to be in that lineup every day now to help drive in runs. Go Joey!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I would totally redo the lineup, but at the very least switching Votto and Patterson would be a good move

Just for the record, the main reason why you want your lineup to alternate lefty and righty is to throw off the rhythm of the pitcher. Every lefty pitcher will tell you that they would would rather face an all righty lineup than one that is lefty, righty, lefty, righty.
    By forcing the pitcher to pitch to a different handed batter in each at bat, you force him to constantly switch his approach on every hitter, and make it more difficult for him to get into a rhythm. If he is facing all the same handed batters, he can concentrate on just one approach, and get into a better rhythm.

It kinda works the way Dusty did it today, two, then two, then two, but probably not as well. I think he was just frustrated and tried to do something different without having a string of lefties or righties in a row. Anyway, it worked today.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    There is absolutely no time or place where having both Hopper and Freel batting back-to-back at the top of the lineup is a good thing. Talk about giving the pitcher a ride on the easy train. These two come up and hack at everything they see so the pitcher doesn't have to work at all for his outs. The first inning Lilly had two outs after only 3 pitches. In the 5th here, Hopper and Freel made the first two outs after only 2 pitches.

I can live with Patterson leading off, as long as you have a guy like Keppinger batting second who will make the pitcher work, but Hopper and Freel should never see the top of the order.

And now that I'm venting about lack of patience at the plate, this team is just painful to watch at times. The Cubs may not score any runs in an inning, but their inning will at least last more than 3 minutes. This offense makes lousy pitchers look good because their lack of plate discipline will allow them easy innings and to work late into games. It isn't that hard, make the pitcher work for it and force the opposing team to get into their bullpen early.

Plate discipline, probably one of the most underrated and underutilized fundamental aspects of baseball.
    Notice who was on base when Jr. hit that homer today?

The best part today was not having to see EE hit right after Dunn. I think it takes some pressure off Edwin, and hopefully he can start killing the ball again.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Notice who was on base when Jr. hit that homer today?
    Got Lucky. They were a combined 1 for 7 with a walk at that point. BOTH times on base just happened to coincidentally be in the same inning.

If you are happy with 1 for 7 with a walk from your #1 and #2 - YOU TOO Can Manage the Reds!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?