Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Marty Brenneman:

To Marty Brenneman:

For your comments about Cubs fans in last night's "good 'ol fashion butt whippin'". . . .

Don't ask me to repeat it because he basically was saying what everyone else was thinking. It was on 700wlw tonight and apparently Cubs fans are just finding out about it.

Good stuff though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: To Marty Brenneman:

I have no idea what he said, but for the future, it's Brennaman.

What? Did he call them drunk scumbags or something of the like?

Basically. I'll post a transcript from it here in a bit.

They got it posted now in the ORG, marty lets 'em have it....and it's the truth.

Here's a rough (but accurate) transcript:

This is the kind of thing, quite honestly right now that makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose. Among all baseball fans -- and I can't attest to the Yankees and Red Sox, because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless its interleague play -- but far an away the most obnoxious fans in this league are those who follow this team right here. They are throwing 15 or 18 balls on to the field -- there's absolutely no excuse for that, and that is so typical of Chicago Cubs fans. It's unbelievable...You simply root against 'em. And I've said all winter, they talk about this team winning the division, and my comment is that they won't win it because at the end of the day they are still the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up...And they never blame themselves.

We've all thought it. He just said it.

He was PISSED about those balls being thrown out. And Cowboy was just kind of egging him on.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Long live Marty,

hes a sourpuss at times but he hit the nail on the head here.

Should make for an interesting series when the Reds head back to Wrigley in July, and I'll be there for one of them. Might have to wear my Dragons cap to remain incognito though.

Say what you want about them:

Cubs Attendance-3,252,462-40,153 per game ave

Reds Attendance-2,056,453-25,388 per game ave

Chris Welsh said basically the same thing on the tv broadcast as well. I loved it!!! Cubs fans are classless and they continue to prove it over and over again in more ways than just throwing balls back, but that display with throwing all those balls was juvenile. I don't like fans in any ballpark throwing visiting teams' home run balls back on to the field. Just because they do it and think it's cool doesn't mean we have to. People don't have to keep the balls. Instead of throwing it back, they should find a kid and give the ball to them if they don't want it. It's ridiculous and I wish Reds fans wouldn't do it either.

Here in Indy, I have always enjoyed being a Reds fan in a sea of Cubs fans. Most will go on an on about how the Cubs rule and how great being a Cubs fan and how the Reds suck. I at that point just start counting on my fingers silently. At that point they say, what are you doing, and I say I am counting the number of World Series the Reds have won since the Cubs last won one
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, look...I'm a life-long Reds fan and a life-long Cubs hater. But you guys SERIOUSLY believe that Marty was correct in what he said?!? 15 balls got thrown out on the field. Yeah, it was bone-headed and they were most likely drunk. But that certainly doesn't constitute a "majority" does it? As for the obnoxious quote...yes, many cubs fans are overly obnoxious...but not any moreso than any other teams fans. I'm sorry, but Marty was totally off base that night. Cubs fans are some of the best fans in baseball. They're very knowlegable about the game and say what you want about them but they SHOW UP! They root for their team through thick or thin. When you get fans that dedicated and in the types of numbers that they draw...yeah, you're gonna get some knuckleheads. But I'd take that kind of fan-base any day of the week for the Reds. How often have you seen a half-empty GABP or Riverfront? Quite often. If the Reds are good, the stands are pretty full. But start losing....*listen for the crickets*. I love my Reds, but Reds fans are largely bandwagoners I'm sad to say. No, not all and certainly not a majority....but a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Marty appologize for the remarks in the next week. (and don't get me wrong...I love Marty. Every good memory of the Reds has him in it)

GO MARTY!!!

Turn Off Ads?