Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Marty Brenneman:

Re: To Marty Brenneman:

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, look...I'm a life-long Reds fan and a life-long Cubs hater. But you guys SERIOUSLY believe that Marty was correct in what he said?!? 15 balls got thrown out on the field. Yeah, it was bone-headed and they were most likely drunk. But that certainly doesn't constitute a "majority" does it? As for the obnoxious quote...yes, many cubs fans are overly obnoxious...but not any moreso than any other teams fans. I'm sorry, but Marty was totally off base that night. Cubs fans are some of the best fans in baseball. They're very knowlegable about the game and say what you want about them but they SHOW UP! They root for their team through thick or thin. When you get fans that dedicated and in the types of numbers that they draw...yeah, you're gonna get some knuckleheads. But I'd take that kind of fan-base any day of the week for the Reds. How often have you seen a half-empty GABP or Riverfront? Quite often. If the Reds are good, the stands are pretty full. But start losing....*listen for the crickets*. I love my Reds, but Reds fans are largely bandwagoners I'm sad to say. No, not all and certainly not a majority....but a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Marty appologize for the remarks in the next week. (and don't get me wrong...I love Marty. Every good memory of the Reds has him in it)
    How many times have you actually come in contact with a Cubs fan in action at a game?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Say what you want about them:

Cubs Attendance-3,252,462-40,153 per game ave

Reds Attendance-2,056,453-25,388 per game ave

World Series won in my lifetime.

Cubs- 0

Reds- 1975, 1976, 1990

What the hell does that have to do with the fans???

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    How many times have you actually come in contact with a Cubs fan in action at a game?
    Unfortunately, not in 20 years since I moved to Texas. My only personal perspective on baseball in that time has been watching the Reds when they play the Astros. And Houston fans are the most apathetic lot I've ever seen. Sure, they cheer when something good happens, but otherwise they sit on their hands and play with their cellphones. Pitiful.

Look, I'm not saying they (cubs fans) can't be jerks. They can, that's obvious. But it's also obvious that Yankee & Red Sox fans are the same way. My point is that Marty went overboard in stating that the MAJORITY of cubs fans are obnoxious.

And you definitely can't label them as the worst fans in baseball. The biggest job a fan has is that of supporting thier team. And no fan base (outside of the Yanks & Sox) comes close to the unbridled passion of the cubs fans. I think the main problem with them is that lately they've had good teams so we're seeing a different side to them. But if the Reds fans had to suffer for as long as they have...we'd be a different lot too.

Say what you want about them:

Cubs Attendance-3,252,462-40,153 per game ave

Reds Attendance-2,056,453-25,388 per game ave
    There's a little bit of a difference in the size of the cities, that might have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    There's a little bit of a difference in the size of the cities, that might have something to do with it.
    That has very little to do with it. Go to a Reds game when they play the Cubs and you'll see what I mean. Heck, go to ANY NL game versus the cubs and you'll see a wide swath of blue in the stands. Simply put, they've got a great fan base....win or lose.

They have a big fan base because of WGN as well... Kinda like the Braves on TBS...

A lot of people only got to watch those teams play on cable...

Their fan base IS obnoxious.............

You know how many people in Indianapolis that I see wearing Cubs gear can't name more than 2 players on their roster? prob over 75% of the ones that I ask.

If it wasn't for WGN airing so many of their games in the 80's and 90's, most people would care less about them.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    All teams are going to have their share of knuckleheads. The Cubs large dedicated fan base willing to travel and lack of a fan base in Cincy just makes the situation seem worse b/c there are so many tickets available to the Cubs fan. Some Cincy yahoo goes to Fenway or Wrigley acting like a fool in the bleachers and there are 100 home team fans sitting with him, so peer pressure rules(like not talking in class during a test). Some yahoo from Chicago comes to GABP, and there are more of his kind than Reds fan, so you are bound to get some loudmouth popping off for attention(like the class clown). It is social dynamics not exclusive to Cubs fan. Root for your own team, not against the other team, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    That has very little to do with it. Go to a Reds game when they play the Cubs and you'll see what I mean. Heck, go to ANY NL game versus the cubs and you'll see a wide swath of blue in the stands. Simply put, they've got a great fan base....win or lose.
    #1. They've got a fan base of complete jerks. Yes, their fans travel to watch their team play. Why? Because Wrigley is always sold out. Good for them for following their team to other cities. But when they come to MY city to watch MY favorite team play, they should have enough respect for MY team to not boo them in THEIR OWN stadium. That's right, they booed the Reds when they took their home field. It wasn't one or two people, it was the majority of them.

#2. Any Cubs fan I have come into contact with, especially at a game, knows ONLY the amount of beer he or she can consume in a nine inning affair. Oh wait, I forgot, they do also have quite an array of names they can call the opposing players, as well as a plethora of obsenities they can throw out at any time. They're also really good at screaming the phrase "YOU SUCK __________ (fill in any opposing player's name)." Not once have I had an indulging conversation with a Cubs fan at GABP, and I've been to several Cubs/Reds games, unfortunately. I'm not saying that doesn't happen everywhere, but that's how they act. Every time I've been to a Cubs fans, that's all I hear from them.

What the hell does that have to do with the fans???

Not a lot, I just thought I would throw that out there. : To be honest with you though, the Cubs always drew well even when they were terrible. Most of the fans would just show up, to get drunk and have a party. Most of them couldn't even tell you when leaving the ballpark if the Cubs had won or lost. Just because the Cubs outdraw the Reds doesn't mean their fans aren't obnoxious.

Well, I'll take your word for it guys in regards to the obnoxious part of it, as I haven't been to a Reds home game in about 22 years. But I still say that having your fans show up at the park to cheer on the home team is a great advantage and one the Reds haven't had in many years unless they're playing winning baseball. Diehard fans are not Reds fans...unfortunately. (present company excluded)

[QUOTE=scounts22;1607511]#1. They've got a fan base of complete jerks. Yes, their fans travel to watch their team play. Why? Because Wrigley is always sold out. Good for them for following their team to other cities. But when they come to MY city to watch MY favorite team play, they should have enough respect for MY team to not boo them in THEIR OWN stadium. That's right, they booed the Reds when they took their home field. It wasn't one or two people, it was the majority of them.

I hear what your saying, but I have to respond to that part the same way I do when fans of the losing team whine that the other team ran the score up on em. The reponse, if you dont like it, stop em from doing that. If Reds fans would buy the tix and show up for games other then OD or giveaway nights, there wouldnt be tix for the cubbies to come in and get, allowing them to take over GABP like its their own- which they do- and I cant blame em. I know, your going to come back with "if the Reds would win, I would go, but not worth time and money to watch em lose". Goes back to the original arguement, the cubs have had this losing thing down longer and better (worse?) then anyone else, but they still sell out and show up to cheer, so thats not a valid excuse to me. On top of that, they are always mentioned for trades, free agents etc, cause they prob have more money to spend since they are bringing in more at the gate (yes, I know, small market team we are, keep using excuses, at the end of the day thats all ya got).

FWIW, some clown at Wrigley just tried to dump a beer on the Pirates' Nate McLouth as he chased down a ball at the CF wall.

If the shoe fits...

The Cubs have a very passionate fan base, but there is a very fine line between passionate and obnoxious. I love the Reds, and sometimes I like to boast a little bit, but never to the extent they do. Most of their fans have crossed the line, but I would love to have 42,000 people at every Reds game.

Turn Off Ads?