Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential roster changes

Potential roster changes

From Fay:

Ch-Ch-Changes?

Dusty Baker talked a little bit about possible changes and then allowed this:

“It’s a very interesting situation,” Baker said.

How so?

"It's just interesting – the whole thing."

Here's some things I think you'll see:

--Josh Fogg will be out of the rotation. I don't know if he'll be off the team, but who starts is Baker's call. He's not big on Fogg. I'm told, in fact, that he didn't know the Reds were signing Foog until after the fact.

--Jerry Hairston Jr. or Jolbert Cabrera will be up here shortly. It's believed Hairston has an out in his contract after a month. He's hittting .429 with two home runs and 10 RBI with a .467 on-base and .785 slugging.

The Reds made no move Thursday.

“I’ve got to get home and talk to Wayne (Krivsky) first,” Baker said. “Wayne’s in Louisville now. We’ll talk on the phone or as soon as we get back.”

It was noted that starting pitchers and hitters are doing well in the minors. David Ross and Matt Belisle are due to come off the DL as well.

“Something’s got to shake out," Baker said. "And you’ve got some guys doing well down there. Guys we liked in spring training.”

posted by John Fay at 12:56 PM

We could see the following: Fogg out of the rotation and potentially off the roster, Hairston or Cabrera(or both) called up from the minor leagues, and Ross and Belisle both coming off the DL at about the same time. The only thing I think we can count on for sure is that there will be some considerable changes in the roster very soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential roster changes

Congrats to Fogg being out of the rotation. Give him a colorful suit and some face paint and he could work some birthday parties.

Not sure about Ross getting back on the squad right away. He's not exactly raking in his rehab at-bats: he's batting .167 (4-for-24) in nine Minor League games.

I did originally think we needed him back ASAP, but, dare I say it, Bako is playing well now.

No need to have Ross up swinging and missing right away. Let him get his groove back in AAA.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Both in oppurtunity given and results produced, it seems safe to say that the torch was pretty clearly passed to Votto at first base in the Cubs series. What happens with Hatteburg may depend on some other situations. If Ross is ready to come back, it looks to me like the catchers are he and Bako which would mean either Javy or Hatte is the left handed bench bat and the other is gone.

I also think they make a choice between Hopper and Freel and bring up either Jolbert Cabrera or Jerry Hairston as the right handed bench bat to take the spot vacated by moving Hopper or Freel. Hopper looked to have the inside track; but Freel is more versatile in the field and has done better at the plate in the last week.

For better or worse, Castro looks safe to me until Gonzo is ready. You got to have a back up plan at short to cover until somebody could be brought up if there is an injury plus your SS needs a day off every couple of weeks. Dusty says Brandon Phillips is anchored at 2B. So that mean they have to carry a backup for SS. That's Castro.

On the pitching side, Fogg comes out of the rotation. I think for now at least, he sticks around as the long man. Belisle probably gets next shot at the #5 starter. DeCafe goes down to open the roster spot for Belisle. Which brings me to my possible sleeper move. Burton is throwing well but has been shaky in results because of mistake pitches. McBeth has been lights out at AAA. They might just flip those two to let Burton get the kinks worked out and to see what McBeth would do in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Congrats to Fogg being out of the rotation. Give him a colorful suit and some face paint and he could work some birthday parties.
    Fogg isnt my choice for a rotation spot but as a person, I feel alittle sorry for him.
    I mean the kid is what he is. He had a good contract offer with security and got bad advice, had to settle for much less and now my be looking at a release.
    Also did anyone hear MB/JB after game last night talking about rotation help and MB asked Jeff who he would get and he said, Belisle.
    Marty said "really ? I would like to see Homer "
    Jeff repeated again Belisle and didnt say anything else about Homer.
    I am beginning to think from his tone he used,Dougdirt may be right in that Jeff isnt too fond of Bailey.

Agree completely with Hatteberg. They are probably trying to move him. He is a good hitter/ pinch hitter/ day-off kind of guy. He just swings from the wrong side of the plate.

Ross may be coming, but I still think that's a little ways off

Between Hopper/Freel, I take Hopper because he's more of a lead-off guy for spot starts than Freel. However, my guess is that he would have to be traded rather than sent down. With his relatively big salary, not sure they can get teams to take a flyer (probably have been trying). So, especially if he continues to improve plate-wise, he'll stay and Hopper takes the bus.

I reluctantly agree about Castro. Late inning defensive replacement and spot-starter 'til (and if ever) Gonzo gets healthy.

Fogg may be a long relief guy, but I'm not sure. If his performance continues like it has, they may cut bait on him. He isn't making that much.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I thought Fogg was making one meal-yun dollars?
    Who's on first?

Fogg will probably catch on with St. Louis and win 16 Games while losing 1 for the Cards...

Then I will be upset.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    Which brings me to my possible sleeper move. Burton is throwing well but has been shaky in results because of mistake pitches. McBeth has been lights out at AAA. They might just flip those two to let Burton get the kinks worked out and to see what McBeth would do in the bigs.

Yeah, McBeth has been pretty good, but not better than Bray.

McBeth.... 4 games, 1-0, 2 saves, 4.1 ip, 1 hit, 3 bb, 3 k's, 0.00 era
    Bray........ 5 games, 0-0, 1 save, 5.1 ip, 1 hit, 3 bb, 10 k's, 0.00 era

So I'd bring up Bray for Coffey....leave Burton where he is. He'll be fine. I'm trying to figure out who we send down to make room for Matt. To be honest, the pitcher I'm least impressed with out of the pen right now is Weathers. He's giving up more than a hit per inning worked and he's walked 6 while only striking out 1. He's simply put been ineffective. It might be close to the time to cut him loose. I'm sure there are some teams that will be willing to take him on.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-18-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Is there a time today that if a move is made we will hear about it...?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is there a time today that if a move is made we will hear about it...?
    Not sure, but Wayne loves waiting later in the day to make most of his moves. It's like, if he announces things too early, he might actually have to answer questions about the move.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I am a very patient man but how long does it take Wayne to get from Louisville To Cincinnati? Belisle (or Homer) should replace Coffey (with Fogg going to the bullpen) and Hairston should be called up. Why the delay?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Fogg will probably catch on with St. Louis and win 16 Games while losing 1 for the Cards...

Then I will be upset.
    Then he would follow the trend set by Ryan Franklin and Kyle Lohse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I am a very patient man but how long does it take Wayne to get from Louisville To Cincinnati? Belisle (or Homer) should replace Coffey (with Fogg going to the bullpen) and Hairston should be called up. Why the delay?

I think Castro has some good dirt on WK. Why is this guy still on the roster. Cut him loose

Isnt hairston JR a primary 2B. Im assuming he can play other positions rather well or we wouldnt even be thinking about it.

Bring up homer. Tie FOGG and Coffey up togther and drop them off a cliff.

Hopper is ok at best
    Freel>I like his heart. But he's just not that good. OBP is terrible. He needs to be a lead off man. And hes not.

As for D.ROSS i guess i might be alone on this but IMO he's terrible. Most of his AB's he looks like a retard. Cant hit a curveball and every pitcher knows it. Apparently even AAA pitchers know it.

So i say keep J.Valentine for the moment. Or bring up somebody else to get some innings in. I cant imagine a new young kid doing much worse than valentine or ROSS.

Turn Off Ads?