Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

The news is confirming there's been an earthquake so I must not be going crazy just yet.

I have no idea how strong the quake was here, but all I do know is it was strong enough to wake me up (and that's not easy to do) at 5:39am this morning. The whole building was shaking and the windows were rattling. It seemed like it lasted at least 20 seconds.

EDIT: Now saying a 5.4 centered in southeastern Illinois around 60 miles away from Evansville, Indiana.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I just found out from my wife and she and her friends were walking. I heard a sound and thought it sounded like it had started raining outside. It was near the time for my morning walk, so I went to the front door to see if it had started raining and it was dry as a bone. I must have heard some small rubble or something in the wall (our house is 118 years old) that sound like rain falling.

That's a decent size tremor, 5.4, for around here.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

5.4 earthquake rocks Illinois; also felt in Ohio, Indiana

Created: 4/18/2008 6:21:45 AM
    Updated:4/18/2008 6:31:39 AM

A 5.4 earthquake in Illinois has rocked people awake as far away as Indiana and Ohio, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a large temblor in the Midwest.

Channel 3 News has received comments from viewers comparing the effect to that caused by extremely high winds.

The calls came from a number of different cities, including Lakewood, Rocky River, Solon, Akron, Copley and Willard.

The quake hit just before 4:37 AM and was centered six miles from West Salem in southern Illinois and was felt in Chicago, about 230 miles away.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=87528

Louisville had damage 19 was showing video from it.

I'm in Indianapolis and felt it. I thought it was a truck outside or something. I was freaked out when my bed was shaking. . . . . I had no idea.

No wonder the kids were all up early this morning. Can't say I felt it, I was in my pre-wake up routine, and don't notice anything then except that darn alarm clock.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

High five!

Felt it here in Nashville. I thought it was the cat doing her morning "laps" around the house.

At exactly that time the birds that have taken up residence in the shrubs outside my bedroom window started chirping really loud.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

My wife and I were in bed and it woke us up. It felt like somebody was jumping up and down on the foot of our bed.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

My wife was awake and I was sleeping and it woke me up. I got up and she looked at me and asked "was that an earthquake?"

She's from Mexico City, where they get small quakes all the time, and she was surprised by it, even more shocked to feel one here!

Luckily, my 3 month old son slept through it...

USGS now says it was a 5.2 earthquake. I was on the road and didn't feel it.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...us2008qza6.php
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Huh. I woke up right around then this morning. Guess the continental plate was celebrating our birthday Cyclone!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It was very close to my apartment in Vincennes, but I am back home in SE Indiana visiting family. My mom felt it, but it didn't wake me up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Huh. I woke up right around then this morning. Guess the continental plate was celebrating our birthday Cyclone!
    You're tellin' me, man!

The first thing I thought was tornado, but then two seconds later I realized my window was open and there wasn't any wind outside. The walls, window, bed, and dresser are what shook the most. I remember looking up at my dresser at the sound of my keys moving a bit.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?