Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

We had a magnitude 3.9 earthquake centered about 60 miles south of me, just before sunrise on Thursday morning of last week. I think I was half-awake at the time, because I was having trouble sleeping that night and I have a vague recollection of the vibration.

It sounds like yours was more impressive.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    it woke my wife up, I told her later this morning that she was probably just having a dream about me when the earth moved
    You must be something- it shook the whole region.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

This year=new album! KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    it woke my wife up, I told her later this morning that she was probably just having a dream about me when the earth moved
    A listener called in a local radio program this morning and told the DJs to stop talking about the earthquake. He said that he was feeling a little "frisky" early this morning and his wife thought he made the earth move...
    2015 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-3
    2015 Dragons record when I'm attending:
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Tectonic Summary

EARTHQUAKES IN THE ILLINOIS BASIN - OZARK DOME REGION
    This large region borders the much more seismically active New Madrid seismic zone on the seismic zone's north and west. The Illinois basin - Ozark dome region covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas and stretches from Indianapolis and St. Louis to Memphis. Moderately frequent earthquakes occur at irregular intervals throughout the region. The largest historical earthquake in the region (magnitude 5.4) damaged southern Illinois in 1968. Moderately damaging earthquakes strike somewhere in the region each decade or two, and smaller earthquakes are felt about once or twice a year. In addition, geologists have found evidence of eight or more prehistoric earthquakes over the last 25,000 years that were much larger than any observed historically in the region.

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
    Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most bedrock in the Illinois basin – Ozark dome region was formed as several generations of mountains rose and were eroded down again over the last billion or so years.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Illinois basin - Ozark dome region is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean, in the Caribbean Sea, and in the Gulf of California. The region is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few earthquakes in the region can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the Illinois basin – Ozark dome region is the earthquakes themselves.

The first one woke me up here in Bowling Green, but I went back to sleep. Woke up later and I thought it was just a dream I had. Didn't feel the second one here at work but some people said they did.

Code:
    Richter Magnitudes 	Description 		Earthquake Effects 					Frequency of Occurrence

Less than 2.0 		Micro 			Microearthquakes, not felt. 				About 8,000 per day
    2.0-2.9 		Minor 			Generally not felt, but recorded. 			About 1,000 per day
    3.0-3.9 		Minor 			Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 			49,000 per year (est.)
    4.0-4.9 		Light 			Significant damage unlikely. 				6,200 per year (est.)
    5.0-5.9 		Moderate 		Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings 	800 per year
    6.0-6.9 		Strong 			Can be destructive in areas across in populated areas. 	120 per year
    7.0-7.9 		Major 			Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 		18 per year
    8.0-8.9 		Great 			Can cause serious damage				1 per year
    9.0-9.9 		Great 			Devastating in areas several thousand miles across. 	1 per 20 years
    10.0+ 			Great 			Never recorded						Extremely rare (Unknown)

Plate tectonics makes me feel pretty small.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Out here, we eat 5.4's for breakfast.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I think woy is trying to tell us that West Coast earthquakes are cooler than ours

edit: and Rojo is definitely trying to tell us this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think woy is trying to tell us that West Coast earthquakes are cooler than ours

edit: and Rojo is definitely trying to tell us this.
    Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I'm more worried about tidal waves and volcanoes myself these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Plate tectonics makes me feel pretty small.
    Ditto. At the same time, there's something almost reaffirming about it.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I'm more worried about tidal waves and volcanoes myself these days.
    I've never liked plane turbulence, and actually that's a pretty good description of what it felt like this morning for me: bad plane turbulence. That may have been a reason it jolted me enough to wake up and figure out what was going on.
    Kevin Gregg and Jason Marquis will bring back memories of the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I've never liked plane turbulence, and actually that's a pretty good description of what it felt like this morning for me: bad plane turbulence. That may have been a reason it jolted me enough to wake up and figure out what was going on.
    In 1989 I was in a coffee shop on the UCSC campus and the the building shook for 30 seconds like someone had picked up the building and were shaking it in their hands like a pair of dice. The table I was at was a big butcher block table and slammed me in chest like 4 times before I could even react.

What sucks for the Midwest is that an earthquake will surely trigger a reaction in the filth of Lake Erie and create a monumental mutation that will rise from the lake like Godzilla and wreak havoc throughout northern Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    it woke me up here in chicago...weird feeling...
    Yeah, it woke up my daughter and her roommate in Valpo. She was pumped, the first earthquake she felt.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What sucks for the Midwest is that an earthquake will surely trigger a reaction in the filth of Lake Erie and create a monumental mutation that will rise from the lake like Godzilla and wreak havoc throughout northern Ohio.
    Sort of like The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTUhOT4d3I
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?