Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Re: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

What sucks for the Midwest is that an earthquake will surely trigger a reaction in the filth of Lake Erie and create a monumental mutation that will rise from the lake like Godzilla and wreak havoc throughout northern Ohio.

Yeah, that explains Cleveland.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think woy is trying to tell us that West Coast earthquakes are cooler than ours

edit: and Rojo is definitely trying to tell us this.
    Everything's cooler on the West Coast.

I don't like earthquakes and I missed the big two -- Loma Prieta and Northridge. But I've had enough of the medium ones to last a lifetime. Watching your walls wave to-and-fro is not fun. I'd much rather deal with a twister, cuz I can see it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I slept right through it.

Color me unimpressed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I was at work.
    Was using the reach truck to put some mulch up in a top shelf - had the sucker all the way up, and I had a slight feeling of vertigo I could not explain at the time.
    When I heard at lunch that we had the quake, it made sense.

It woke me up, though I went back to sleep. I thought I was dreaming until somebody mentioned it earlier today.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

It wasn't an earthquake.

It was the Earth's way of showing displeasure that Juan Castro is still a Red.

did it knock that truck off it's perch in CF?

I live 20 miles from the epicenter and it did damage here....was pretty strong

I woke up and looked at the clock at it was right around 4:40 (central), so I guess I now know why.

Wish I would have been up to feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All dyslexics must untie!

Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I'm more worried about tidal waves and volcanoes myself these days.
    Here's a cool website. This guy predicts earthquakes based on (among other things...) high tides and newspaper reports of runaway cats.

http://www.syzygyjob.com/
    Never overlook the obvious

Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I'm more worried about tidal waves and volcanoes myself these days.
    Yeah earthquakes suck unfortunately for me living close to a geyser we get quite a bit of seimic activity. Haven't experienced anything big in this area just a bunch of small to moderate size quakes. Last summer we got one about the same size as the one that hit the midwest this morning while I was at work. That was a rather interesting quake, their usually either a drop or a shimmy this one though was a drop then a shimmy that lasted for a few seconds. Afterward it was funny to see all the heads popping out of their cubes and then the candy vending machine fell over causing the heads to duck back in to their cubes.

More worried about tidal waves and volcanoes? Is Mt. St. Helens acting up again? Think I've mentioned this before, but I actually witnessed a volcanoe eruption once and it is truly a scary event. NASA has a cool little program called worldwind http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ that not only lets you zoom in on any town, but also look at land marks like Mt. St. Helens. The last time I looked at it you could see the lava dome inside the crater and a ploom of smoke coming out, that was a few years ago though.

at approximately 11:15am today i was at work in west chester when i could have sworn the floor underneath my feet moved around on its own for about 3 seconds and i waited to see if anyone said anything but no1 did...i told my boss about it later in the day and i was the only one who reported anything?!?( i work approximately in the middle of the floor that i work on if that makes a difference)..then i find out later on there was an aftershock right around 1115am

part of BBN

I was already at work friday morning as we start at 4 am central.
    Most everyone on our shift was on a third story floor doing a wharehouse type inventory.
    Needless to say, the whole floor began swaying back and forth and we even had some product vibrate out on the floor.
    It was a very un-nerving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed View Post
    That was a rather interesting quake, their usually either a drop or a shimmy this one though was a drop then a shimmy that lasted for a few seconds.

I maintain there's a third type -- rollers. One of these hit as I was in a Tower Records in LA. You could hardly tell it was a earthquake. I just thought I was getting light-headed until I saw everyone in the store look up from the bins.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed View Post
    More worried about tidal waves and volcanoes? Is Mt. St. Helens acting up again?
    This could be his concern:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Turn Off Ads?