Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Re: Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I maintain there's a third type -- rollers. One of these hit as I was in a Tower Records in LA. You could hardly tell it was a earthquake. I just thought I was getting light-headed until I saw everyone in the store look up from the bins.

Yep. Paso Robles back in 2003 was a roller. I was miles away in LA and felt it sitting in a chair.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Even though I had been living in California for some time the first earthquake I ever experienced was when I was back in Cincinnati visiting friends. My buddy and I were sitting in his den watching a Reds game and I thought his wife was vaccuming upstairs. It's sort of strange to be a resident of California but to experience your first earthquake in Ft. Thomas, KY.

There is a major fault located about 10 miles west of Evansville, IN called the Caborn Fault because it runs under Caborn, IN----a town that was founded by ancestors of mine and bears my family name.

So, I guess you could say, this is all my fault!

Rem

Unlike the 2008 Illinois quake - which is the quake that started this thread - I didn't feel this morning's quake. Original readings from this morning's quake came in at 4.2 centered near Kokomo, IN (north of Indy), but it looks like revised readings are showing a 3.8 quake.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...mors-felt-here

I know we've got some RedsZone folks up around that area. Anybody feel it up there or in Cincy?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

It woke up my friend in Ft. Wayne, but not her kids or husband

I an in Terre Haute, and if it was felt here, I was sleeping. There are reports of it being felt in the county east of here. I am directly west if Indianapolis on the Indiana-Illinois border.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I felt it in downtown Cincinnati in my 17th floor apartment. Really minor shaking but my wife who was still in bed woke up because of it.

199 years ago on 12/16 the New Madrid quake occurred

I was riding in to work, didn't feel it. Lots of people here did, though. I really felt the one a couple years ago- what a unique and weird sensation.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

That's weird. I didn't feel a thing. I was getting ready for work and heard about today's on my drive in. I'm probably the closest of anyone on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

My wife called me at work, towards the end of the conversation, she said "don't think me weird, but when I was writting thank you notes to my students, it felt like the house shook a bit, it was really odd" I told her she wasn't wierd, there was indeed an earthquake this morning. We live just southh of Dayton.

Turn Off Ads?