Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 85 for Urlacher?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

85 for Urlacher?

Urlacher is pulling a Chad in Chicago. Here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulli...bear18.article

Would you trade Chad for Urlacher? With Ahmad Brooks and Odell Thurman flanking Urlacher, the linebacking core would go from a huge weakness to a huge strength. Draft Sedrick Ellis and all of a sudden the Bengals have a real defense.

Urlacher is old, there's no doubt, but TJ and Rudi aren't getting any younger either. A deal like this would give the Bengals a 2 or 3 year window to contend NOW, while shedding the headache that is Chad Johnson. I'd consider it. Let's compete while Carson is in the prime of his career.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: 85 for Urlacher?

That's a move that could help both teams. I think the Bears would have to throw in a late round pick, but otherwise, I'd do it. I want no part of Chad Johnson anymore.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lets just say I would be very suprised if this trade happened. In theory, could help both teams though.

Urlacher was having back problems last season and also had neck surgery a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Urlacher was having back problems last season and also had neck surgery a few months ago.
    And today he said that his back and neck never been better. There's no doubt that there is risk to the trade. But IMO that risk pales in comparison to keeping Chad around this team, or even the risk associated with a first round pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    And today he said that his back and neck never been better. There's no doubt that there is risk to the trade. But IMO that risk pales in comparison to keeping Chad around this team, or even the risk associated with a first round pick.

I agree that it would be benificial for the Bengals if Urlacher is even at 50%, however, back and neck injuries aren't something to be brushed off. Back problems have a tendency to stick around, especially in such a high contact sport. I still can't imaging this trade happening. For one, who knows if the Bengals will even trade him, and two who knows if the Bears would even want Ocho Cinco. Speculation, especially in football it seems, is often pretty far off.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I agree that it would be benificial for the Bengals if Urlacher is even at 50%, however, back and neck injuries aren't something to be brushed off. Back problems have a tendency to stick around, especially in such a high contact sport. I still can't imaging this trade happening. For one, who knows if the Bengals will even trade him, and two who knows if the Bears would even want Ocho Cinco. Speculation, especially in football it seems, is often pretty far off.
    I would rather have Urlacher and his health issues than Chad and his me-first mentality.

The Bears lost their top deep threat Bernard Berrian to Minnesota, so its not like they have a top flight receiver ready to take over.

I'd venture to say that Chicago will likely shop Urlacher for a draft pick over a player, just my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would rather have Urlacher and his health issues than Chad and his me-first mentality.

The Bears lost their top deep threat Bernard Berrian to Minnesota, so its not like they have a top flight receiver ready to take over.

I'd venture to say that Chicago will likely shop Urlacher for a draft pick over a player, just my guess.

Honestly, I'd take a draft pick over an injured Urlacher. An aging injured vet is of little use to Bengals, especially with how they are set up right now. I find it hard to believe that a healthy Urlacher makes them a contender. This team is pretty far off right now IMO. Thats even assuming the Bears would offer Urlacher, which is probably not going to happen. Again, I would be very suprised if this trade happened. I do agree that an injured Urlacher is better than a whiny CJ. That doesn't mean this trade makes sense IMO.

Here's my thinking... what kind of draft pick could net Urlacher? A second, at best?

What kind of draft pick could net CJ? A mid to late 1st rounder?

That's the disparity.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Here's my thinking... what kind of draft pick could net Urlacher? A second, at best?

What kind of draft pick could net CJ? A mid to late 1st rounder?

That's the disparity.
    Disagree. But even if that was the case, then trade CJ for the 1st rounder and trade our 2nd rounder for Urlacher. You'd have 2 first rounders and Urlacher in the fold. I doubt that could be pulled off, but it's not an inhibitor of the trade.
    Go BLUE!!!

Urlacher weighs in on the rumor. From pft.com:

In response to a report of rumors that Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher has either requested a trade or threatened to take a medical retirement (or both), Urlacher says that the reports are wrong.

“I never said that I was going to quit,” Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s just a gossip column. Reports like that is why I choose not to speak to the media.”

If taking a medical retirement was ever an option, it isn’t now, given Urlacher’s comments regarding his health: “[M]y neck is rehabbed and back to normal,” Urlacher said. “My back is better now than it was at any point last season.”

As to a trade, Urlacher said he’s happy where he is. “Everybody knows I want to be in Chicago,” he said. “I’ve said that from Day 1. I can’t imagine playing anywhere else. I want to be with my teammates.

“Could I see a scenario where I wouldn’t be here? It would be if they traded me. But we all know that’s not going to happen.”

As to his contract status, Urlacher provided the Tribune with a brief update. “They’ve offered me a one-year extension,” Urlacher said. “My agents are doing a great job for me. I try to stay out of it as much as I can.”

It remains to be seen whether the Chicago Sun-Times responds to Urlacher’s attempt to refute its report.
    FTR, if I had the opportunity to trade Chad for Urlacher, I'd do it so fast it'd make your head spin. But I highly doubt we'll ever see something like that happen.

I am a HUGE Bears fan and they will never part with him. He is not unhappy but just trying to get more money like all other NFL players.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    I am a HUGE Bears fan and they will never part with him. He is not unhappy but just trying to get more money like all other NFL players.
    As a Bears fan, I also agree with this. He is the face of the Bears franchise, and they would never consider trading him. He is trying to get a better deal from the Bears,however.

Doesn't look like Ocho Cinco is going anywhere. From profootballtalk.com.

BENGALS NOT BUDGING
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2008, 7:55 p.m.
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports what we’ve been hearing for weeks — the Cincinnati Bengals will not trade receiver Chad Johnson.

“No matter the offer,” Schefter says. “No matter the circumstances. No deal.”

Last week, Johnson said that he wants to be traded before the draft. Or after it.

He won’t be. Before, during, or after.

The Bengals are proving a point here. Operating under a CBA that no longer permits them to use or enforce the “loyalty clause,” Johnson’s gross display of disloyalty means that the team will stick it to him whenever and wherever it can.

Basically, Ocho Stinko is caught in Quicko Sando. The more he tries to get out of it, the deeper he sinks.
    Maybe I'm just bitter, but I love this stance by the Bengals.

Turn Off Ads?