Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Accused of Assault

Brooks Accused of Assault

Here we go again. From the Enquirer:

Brooks accused of assault
    Bengals linebacker faces June court date
    BY JIM HANNAH | JHANNAH@NKY.COM
    E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

BURLINGTON – Bengals linebacker Ahmad Brooks has been charged with punching a Florence woman in the left eye.

Brooks, who lives in Union, has been summoned to appear June 6 in Boone District Court to answer to the charge of misdemeanor assault, punishable by up to a year in the jail.

Destiny Rosich gave a sworn statement Wednesday that Brooks was arguing outside her neighbor’s home on April 9 in the 7600 block of Banklick Street. She said her children were outside playing and began to cry because Brooks and the neighbor were about to start a fistfight.

Brooks told the neighbor that he was going to “split his head open,” Rosich wrote in her statement.

That when she “nicely approached” Brooks and asked him to stop and “take it somewhere else,” according to the statement.

“He then pulled back his fist and struck (punched) me in the left eye,” Rosich wrote. “I then fell and blacked out.”

When Rosich gained consciousness, she grabbed her children, ran inside her home, called 911 and was taken to an area emergency room.

Rosich’s attorney, Gary Franke of Cincinnati, said he had no comment at this time.

Florence police spokesman John McDermond confirmed that officers responded to the scene after the fight. He said the incident is considered a fourth-degree assault and that officers have to witness it to make an arrest.

McDermond said officers’ involvement was limited to explaining to Rosich how to fill out a criminal summons.

“Our policy is that it’s not appropriate to comment on legal proceedings in which there is no ruling,” Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said.

Brooks, a 6-foot-3, 259-pound middle linebacker, is approaching his third NFL season.

The 24-year-old came to Cincinnati by way of the University of Virginia. Amid allegations of marijuana use, he was kicked off the football team and forced to enter the NFL’s supplemental draft, according to Enquirer archives.

The Bengals took him in the third-round of that draft in July of 2006.

He had 46 tackles with one sack, two passes defensed, and a special teams tackle during the 2006 season.

Brooks’ second NFL season was cut short after he suffered a groin injury Sept. 16 at Cleveland. He was inactive for Games 3 through 8, and was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list Nov. 7.

There was no immediate reaction from the Bengals other than a statement issued by club spokesman Jack Brennan: “Our policy is that it’s not appropriate to comment on legal proceedings in which there is no ruling.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brooks Accused of Assault

Cut 'em.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I don't see him being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    I don't see him being cut.
    The Bengals cant cut all the criminals they have to have atleast 11 on offense and 11 on defense.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The Bengals cant cut all the criminals they have to have atleast 11 on offense and 11 on defense.
    They better pick up more criminals if they need 11 on offense and 11 on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Ha ha. The Bengals have no more criminals than other NFL teams. Take a look at the rosters for the Bears and Chargers among others. Criminal behavior is neither limited to one team nor is it prevalent on one team more than another. For some reason the media likes to make a bigger deal out of the Bengals' problems.

As far as Brooks goes, there's no excuse for that. I suppose it's a good thing they drafted a LB.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

nm
    Last edited by WMR; 05-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Ha ha. The Bengals have no more criminals than other NFL teams. Take a look at the rosters for the Bears and Chargers among others. Criminal behavior is neither limited to one team nor is it prevalent on one team more than another. For some reason the media likes to make a bigger deal out of the Bengals' problems.

As far as Brooks goes, there's no excuse for that. I suppose it's a good thing they drafted a LB.
    I'm willing to bet they've had to cut more players due to criminal problems the last 3 years, than any other team in the league.

This goes back to the Victoria C days. The Bengals notoriously draft troubled, high ceiling players, and do not have the type of support in place to deal with them. A losing team with a bare bones front office and lacking amenities, and all of the head cases feeding off of one another and the losing, creates a big cluster.

I'm willing to wait on giving judgment in this case until the facts are presented. Brooks has reshaped himself since coming to the Bengals. He's no longer the man he usto be. I hope that this is all just some woman trying to get money from him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I'm willing to bet they've had to cut more players due to criminal problems the last 3 years, than any other team in the league.

This goes back to the Victoria C days. The Bengals notoriously draft troubled, high ceiling players, and do not have the type of support in place to deal with them. A losing team with a bare bones front office and lacking amenities, and all of the head cases feeding off of one another and the losing, creates a big cluster.
    I honestly don't know that the Bengals draft any more problems than other teams. In fact the Raiders used to revel in it. If you look at the Steelers roster, there are a number of players with rap sheets too. The Patriots, Titans, . . . I can't think of one single team that makes a point of drafting good guys over talent. Everyone picks the talent. There are plenty of players on rosters throughout the league with assault charges on their records. These men play a violent sport and some of them have a problem leaving that violent behavior on the field. The NFL needs to do more about dealing with this problem, and making it look like it's only the Bengals who have a problem is just marginalizing it.

As far as Victoria C. goes, there are two different stories about what happened. No criminal charges were ever filed. I don't know how things were back in the early '90s, but today if prosecutors had anything, charges would have been filed. So we're left with believing that she's either a poor victim who was gang-raped by something like 12 Bengals while the rest of the team watched or she was just a groupie who got involved with some players and had regrets the next day. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. A number of players paid to settle in exchange for her release of her claims, but the amounts paid don't seem like that much. Some say it was that some of the married players involved wanted to keep things quiet about their affairs on the road. Some of the players wanted it to go to trial so that they could prove they weren't even there. A number of the players named were supposedly upstanding citizens. With no criminal charges, I won't assume the worst. You could definitely say there was some poor judgment involved. But professional athletes using poor judgment in their private affairs isn't limited to the Bengals and not even football.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I honestly don't know that the Bengals draft any more problems than other teams. In fact the Raiders used to revel in it. If you look at the Steelers roster, there are a number of players with rap sheets too. The Patriots, Titans, . . . I can't think of one single team that makes a point of drafting good guys over talent. Everyone picks the talent. There are plenty of players on rosters throughout the league with assault charges on their records. These men play a violent sport and some of them have a problem leaving that violent behavior on the field. The NFL needs to do more about dealing with this problem, and making it look like it's only the Bengals who have a problem is just marginalizing it.

As far as Victoria C. goes, there are two different stories about what happened. No criminal charges were ever filed. I don't know how things were back in the early '90s, but today if prosecutors had anything, charges would have been filed. So we're left with believing that she's either a poor victim who was gang-raped by something like 12 Bengals while the rest of the team watched or she was just a groupie who got involved with some players and had regrets the next day. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. A number of players paid to settle in exchange for her release of her claims, but the amounts paid don't seem like that much. Some say it was that some of the married players involved wanted to keep things quiet about their affairs on the road. Some of the players wanted it to go to trial so that they could prove they weren't even there. A number of the players named were supposedly upstanding citizens. With no criminal charges, I won't assume the worst. You could definitely say there was some poor judgment involved. But professional athletes using poor judgment in their private affairs isn't limited to the Bengals and not even football.
    My point though is that the Bengals don't have the kind of atmosphere where they can take on troubled players, it's a match in a gas can. You can almost annually, come up with player problems here, either stars wanting out, holding out, a coach resigning (unheard of in the NFL when he has nowhere else to go), a team accused of gang rape (name one other team where that's happened?) and now I've simply lost count of all the Bengals arrested in the last 3 years, in addition to the Stanley Wilson's and Lewis Billups, guys in prison like James Francis and James Brooks, drunks like Reggie Rembert, #1 picks who begged to leave like Big Daddy and Alfred Williams, Chad, Pickens, Spikes, on and on and on.

Too many people spin and make excuses for it, but if you look at the #'s over the last 17 years, the Bengals HAVE to come out on top in terms of players in trouble with the law, being suspended, or digruntled with the franchise, in addition to their illustrious losing streak until 2005, and they're right back where they started already.

Chad is a perfect example of how this losing franchise cannot afford to take on head cases and Juco's, the losing makes them miserable and the cheapness and laziness by Mike Brown makes them problems.

I assume Shirley will be the next one on a police DUI video.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    My point though is that the Bengals don't have the kind of atmosphere where they can take on troubled players, it's a match in a gas can. You can almost annually, come up with player problems here, either stars wanting out, holding out, a coach resigning (unheard of in the NFL when he has nowhere else to go), a team accused of gang rape (name one other team where that's happened?) and now I've simply lost count of all the Bengals arrested in the last 3 years, in addition to the Stanley Wilson's and Lewis Billups, guys in prison like James Francis and James Brooks, drunks like Reggie Rembert, #1 picks who begged to leave like Big Daddy and Alfred Williams, Chad, Pickens, Spikes, on and on and on.

Too many people spin and make excuses for it, but if you look at the #'s over the last 17 years, the Bengals HAVE to come out on top in terms of players in trouble with the law, being suspended, or digruntled with the franchise, in addition to their illustrious losing streak until 2005, and they're right back where they started already.

Chad is a perfect example of how this losing franchise cannot afford to take on head cases and Juco's, the losing makes them miserable and the cheapness and laziness by Mike Brown makes them problems.

I assume Shirley will be the next one on a police DUI video.
    I don't think you can lump the disgruntled in with the violators of the law. Two separate issues. The Dallas Cowboys have their own history with bad boys ending up in jail. The Steelers have had all kinds of issues with players and/or former players. All teams have issues. The only thing that makes the Bengals different is that they have the separate issue of having a history of losing and players who like to use that as an excuse to extort more money. The one issue - the problems with domestic abuse, drugs, alcoholism, and other anti-social behaviors - needs to be addressed league-wide, because it's not a "Bengals only" problem. It's a league-wide issue. The second issue - players trying to whine and cry their way out of town and blaming it on the losing - is a Bengals problem, but it's a separate issue from the first. To lump these two together marginalizes the first, much bigger problem. It becomes an issue for the Bengals to solve, rather than something for the league to address.

I don't think making the Bengals avoid picking up anyone with a bad legal history is going to do away with the issue of NFL players getting in trouble with the law. They need to come up with a league-wide policy and apply it evenhandedly to all teams. Right now it seems like the rules are whatever Goodell makes up on the spot.

When Rosich gained consciousness, she grabbed her children, ran inside her home, called 911 and was taken to an area emergency room.
    This sounds odd in that none of her neighbors called 911 after a man punched a woman in the face that knocked her out.

I'll wait until all the facts are out before I make any conclusions.

The Colts break back ahead on the arrest scoreboard for the year.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...d-in-shooting/
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    This sounds odd in that none of her neighbors called 911 after a man punched a woman in the face that knocked her out.

I'll wait until all the facts are out before I make any conclusions.
    I found that part very odd too. No one called for her?! And why on earth was she trying to get between two big guys who were allegedly fighting!? Only a woman asking for some sort of problem tries to break up a fight between two men bigger than her.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?