Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Rays near big deal with Longoria

Rosenthal: Rays near big deal with Longoria

Seems a tad early, doesn't it?

Third baseman Evan Longoria has played only six major-league games, but the Tampa Bay Rays are on the verge of signing him long-term, according to major-league sources.

The details of the contract are not yet known, but it is believed that the deal will be for six years in the $17 million range with option scenarios that will enable the Rays to buy out two years of Longoria's free agency.

The contract, to be announced at 1 p.m. ET, also is expected to include escalators that will enable Longoria to add to his guaranteed money if he develops into a major star.

Longoria, the third overall pick in the 2006 draft, has batted .300 with one home run and three RBIs. The Rays are treating him almost like a high NFL or NBA draft pick, paying him before he is an accomplished player.

The Rays sent Longoria to Class AAA at the start of the season even though he was widely considered to be major-league ready. At that time, some in baseball thought the Rays wanted to keep him in the minors for a set period of time so they could keep him for an extra season before he became a free agent. The Rays, however, dismissed such talk, saying that they ultimately would seek to sign Longoria long-term.

Longoria, 22, is represented by Paul Cohen, who in January negotiated a six-year, $31 million contract for Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, the largest deal ever given to a player with less than two years of major-league service.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...0813162&ATT=49

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Rosenthal: Rays near big deal with Longoria

Well 17M is potentially a monster bargain. Yes they could end up getting nothing out of it, but Longoria does look like an awfully good bet. It's an interesting risk, and I think the dollar terms are low enough to make this worth doing for the Rays. They don't have many other ways of keeping star talent around.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Well 17M is potentially a monster bargain. Yes they could end up getting nothing out of it, but Longoria does look like an awfully good bet. It's an interesting risk, and I think the dollar terms are low enough to make this worth doing for the Rays. They don't have many other ways of keeping star talent around.
    Agreed. This is a pretty good move for the Rays. It's something I wouldn't seeing the Reds do with Jay Bruce after he spends a year or so in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. This is a pretty good move for the Rays. It's something I wouldn't seeing the Reds do with Jay Bruce after he spends a year or so in the majors.
    Spending a year in the bigs is a little different story than 6 games. That said, this could end up being a steal in a few years.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That's kinda the point. Longoria's been up 6 days.

Sometimes the "can't miss" guys do miss.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Yep. I like it. The kid gets a big payday right now, years before he would otherwise. The team gets a chance to buy 2 years of his FA. The player will still be young enough to cash in again if he succeeds. The contract isn't so onerous that he's untradeable if he's healthy. For a really special talent like Longoria, or Bruce, heck yeah, makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That's kinda the point. Longoria's been up 6 days.

Sometimes the "can't miss" guys do miss.
    I know, but I still like the move. I still wouldn't mind if the Reds locked Bruce up in the same situation, but it wouldn't hurt to wait a year either.

I could see this causing some clubhouse issues. Kid who has achieved NOTHING gets a $17 mil contract when there are other vets on the team making $1 mil.

Not a bad idea even though it won't buy out any of his free agency years.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

AP says it could be worth up to 44 million over nine years.

Longoria's deal with Rays could be worth up to $44 million

Associated Press

Updated: April 18, 2008, 1:13 PM ET

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Rookie third baseman Evan Longoria and the Tampa Bay Rays agreed Friday to a $17.5 million, six-year contract, a deal that could be worth up to $44 million over nine seasons.

Tampa Bay has a club option for 2014 and a second option that covers 2015 and 2016.

Taken third overall in the 2006 amateur draft, Longoria appeared in just six major league game before agreeing to the deal.

The 22-year-old was brought up from Triple-A Durham last Saturday and made his big league debut that day. Because he was not on the major league roster for the first 13 days of the season, Longoria's eligibility for free agency was pushed back an extra year until after the 2014 season.

The Rays have signed a number of their younger players to long-term deals, including right-hander James Shields, and outfielders Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3353025

Yay!

Rocco Baldelli... a perfect example of how these things can turn out badly for clubs that do them.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Those FA options could also be very valuable... Longoria could easily become a 15M+ calibre player down the line, Rays would be paying around 9M.

The potential savings for the DRays is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rocco Baldelli... a perfect example of how these things can turn out badly for clubs that do them.
    I would never have put Baldelli in Longoria's class and the Bruce/Longoria types are the only ones that I'd offer a deal to that early. If a club goes for these contracts this early it has to be for the cream of the cream type players. Baldelli never fit that mold, for me anyway.

It's a type of deal I'd be pretty interested in doing if it's the right player, and Longoria's a player who would fit that criteria. Bruce would be another guy who could fit that criteria too.

Moderate risk, High reward ... with the amount of money teams blow on below average players and/or players who end up on the DL for significant time, a $17 mil committment isn't extremely risky.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I would never have put Baldelli in Longoria's class and the Bruce/Longoria types are the only ones that I'd offer a deal to that early. If a club goes for these contracts this early it has to be for the cream of the cream type players. Baldelli never fit that mold, for me anyway.
    Agreed.

Rocco Baldelli was always overrated by nearly everyone. Check out his minor league statline: .280/.328/.433 - .761. I never understood why folks were so enamored with him.

Post number 14,000 btw.

Turn Off Ads?