Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Bruce and Daryl Thompson mentioned in this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Jay Bruce and Daryl Thompson mentioned in this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Though they just missed out they did receive a mentioning.

IN THE TEAM PHOTO

Before he got a bit banged up, Reds OF Jay Bruce (.333/.333/.714) was continuing to rake at Triple-A Louisville, hitting safely in 10 of 11 games.

HELIUM WATCH

Reds GM Wayne Krivsky could use a big year from righthander Daryl Thompson (Double-A Chattanooga), considering he was a piece of that Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns for Bill Bray, Gary Majewski & Co. trade back in 2006. Thompson first burst on the scene back in 2003 for the late, lamented Gulf Coast League Expos, ranking 18th in the Expos' Top 30 Prospects that year. The scouting report included a fastball that touched 94 mph with boring action, a quick downer curve and nascent changeup. With a trade and labrum surgery since then, but his velo's back in the 90s, and he's given up one lonely run and one lonesome walk in 17 2/3 innings while fanning 20 this season. At 2-0, 0.51, he's back on the map at age 22.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/265931.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce and Daryl Thompson mentioned in this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

I forgot to send in some questions but someone asked him about Thompson:

Q: Rotogeek from Argeekia asks:
    Thanks for taking my question. Just picked up Daryl Thompson. What is his stuff right now -- where would he slot in a typical rotation if he can keep up his performance?

A: J.J. Cooper: Hey everyone thanks for stopping by. I've been trying to get a full report on Thompson's stuff and have not yet managed to track down a scout who's seen him this year. But the reports we're getting from Chattanooga are that his stuff is fully back to his pre-injury level (up to 93-94 mph and maybe a tick more). Before his injuries, Thompson was considered one of the better prospects in the Nats' system. If he continues to build off his strong start, he could end up as a No. 3-No. 4 starter down the road.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/...08041801&rnd=1

Re: Jay Bruce and Daryl Thompson mentioned in this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I forgot to send in some questions but someone asked him about Thompson:

Q: Rotogeek from Argeekia asks:
    Thanks for taking my question. Just picked up Daryl Thompson. What is his stuff right now -- where would he slot in a typical rotation if he can keep up his performance?

A: J.J. Cooper: Hey everyone thanks for stopping by. I've been trying to get a full report on Thompson's stuff and have not yet managed to track down a scout who's seen him this year. But the reports we're getting from Chattanooga are that his stuff is fully back to his pre-injury level (up to 93-94 mph and maybe a tick more). Before his injuries, Thompson was considered one of the better prospects in the Nats' system. If he continues to build off his strong start, he could end up as a No. 3-No. 4 starter down the road.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/...08041801&rnd=1
    I'd take a future rotation of

Cueto
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Thompson
    Maloney/Wood

Wishful thinking that all these guys will pan out and reach their full potential, but it's certainly a nice thought, particularly after Harang's contract is up in 2011. (But I'd still rather trade Maloney for Wladimir Balentien.) Maybe Travis Wood can be the #5.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-18-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?