Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Myrtle Beach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Myrtle Beach

The wife wants to take the family vacation to Myrtle Beach this summer. We've never been there, so I'm asking for recommendations/advice on places to stay and attractions from those that have.

Thanks!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Re: Myrtle Beach

We rented a house in North Myrtle Beach the last 3 years. We really liked it. It had a private pool and a golf cart to drive to the beach. The beach was across the street.

There is a tone of stuff to do with kids, that is why we went. Water parks, nascar parks, amusement rides, boardwalk,golf, etc. It is made for familes.

First deside if you want to rent a home, or a condo. The condo might have a view of the ocean, but it might be on the 15 floor. You have long rides back and forth to the pool.

The myrtle beach chamber of commerce sent us a ton of stuff.

We also got on-line and searched Myrtle Beach rentals. Both houses, and condo's. This is the best way because it eliminates the middle-man most of the time and you get it a little cheaper when people rent out their property themselves.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

dont stay at a place called captains quarters--we stayed there about 3 years ago-elevators didnt work half the time--the rooms werent all that---we stood in line for an hour to register when we got there and everyone in line in front of me seemed to have a customer service issue(plus it was like 98 degrees every day with the humidity to match---ugh!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    dont stay at a place called captains quarters--we stayed there about 3 years ago-elevators didnt work half the time--the rooms werent all that---we stood in line for an hour to register when we got there and everyone in line in front of me seemed to have a customer service issue(plus it was like 98 degrees every day with the humidity to match---ugh!!! )
    Well it's not the Maine....It's South Carolina in the Summer...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I would suggest looking into some of the beaches around Myrtle such as Surfside and Garden City Beaches which are about 10 miles south of Myrtle. We have vacationed at Surfside several times, it's more of a family beach, not too crowded, and you can still go to Myrtle Beach area for the nightlife, shows, etc. Myrtle Beach in the summer is just too crowded to enjoy yourself with a family IMO...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I would suggest looking into some of the beaches around Myrtle such as Surfside and Garden City Beaches which are about 10 miles south of Myrtle. We have vacationed at Surfside several times, it's more of a family beach, not too crowded, and you can still go to Myrtle Beach area for the nightlife, shows, etc. Myrtle Beach in the summer is just too crowded to enjoy yourself with a family IMO...
    I'll second that. North Myrtle Beach isn't bad either.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I'll second that. North Myrtle Beach isn't bad either.
    My grandparents own a condo in N. Myrtle Beach.

My overall impression of the entire area is that it's too overdeveloped. Traffic was a nightmare the last time I was there in '00, and I can't imagine its gotten better since then.

If I had a choice (which I don't -- if I ever take a vacation, I'm going to have to mooch off family and stay in Myrtle), I'd much rather go to someplace like Duck or Corolla in NC.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

We stayed in a house in Surfside the last time we were there. Very nice. Fairly quiet.

If you're driving down be sure to allow yourself an extra 3 hours to drive the last 10 miles.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Go Deacs

Better yet try Ocean Isle or Sunset Beaches about 30 min ride from Myrtle great beaches and few crowds. I have some contacts for Condo rentals at reasonable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by WSNCWFU#1 View Post
    Better yet try Ocean Isle or Sunset Beaches about 30 min ride from Myrtle great beaches and few crowds. I have some contacts for Condo rentals at reasonable rates.
    I would make the same recommendation. The Brunswick Islands, which include Ocean Isle, Sunset, Holden and Long Beaches, are in extreme southern North Carolina. All are within one hour at most of Myrtle Beach.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Thanks for all your suggestions guy. I've spent the last 2 hours kinda browsing hotels/resorts in MB just to get a feel. We're looking at staying 5 nights (6/28-7/3). A few places I have noted have quoted me rates around $750 for that time frame, which is what I want to spend. I have 3 teenagers so I want to be near attractions for them obviously. But it's my vacation too, so I want to be able to relax while they can go to stuff within walking distance.

While those other locations some have mentioned, like North MB and Sunset, may be more family friendly, quiet; I don't want to have to fight traffic daily to/fro in order to drive to the attractions, or to get into MB. Is there much else there at those locations other then the beaches?

We've been going to the Smokys for the last 20 years, so I know what it's like to fight crowds and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by WSNCWFU#1 View Post
    I would be interested to know some of those locations and rates. Thank you.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-19-2008 at 07:05 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Greg,
    I have family that owns property and rents it out down there, I believe it is a condo with pool etc. I can give you their email address if you would like. As far as what attractions are near it I don't know you would have to ask them. I think that they told me $500.00 a week. Like I am going to pay them that, when I could hijac a ride with their mother and father and stay for free.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-19-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Greg, I have family that owns property and rents it out down there, I believe it is a condo with pool etc. I can give you their email address if you would like. As far as what attractions are near it I don't know you would have to ask them.
    Any information you can give me I would appreciate Ken. Talk to them, and if needed I'll PM you my email where they can send me info and possibly answer an questions I may have.... Is it in MB? If not, then how close? What is nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Speaking for Surfside and Garden City, no there aren't a whole lot of attractions besides the beach outside of a few good restaurants, shops, and maybe an arcade. We would go to Myrtle Beach two or three nights out of the week for a theater show or to Barefoot Landing or something so it wasn't that big of a hassle. But if you plan on going to Myrtle Beach every evening looking for something to do, you're right, you'll want to stay at Myrtle I would think. I know how easily bored teenagers can get.
    If it was just me and the wife, then those "remote" locations sound ideal. But with three teens, they'd probably get pretty bored looking for something to do other then the beach.

And just like when we go to Gatlinburg, we enjoy walking around and having easy access to all the various shops/attractions, without a lot of driving to and fro to get there, and ESPECIALLY sitting in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get there daily.

I'd just as soon find a place somewhere in MB where I can do my thing (vegetate), at my pace and leisure, and the teens can do theirs.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While those other locations some have mentioned, like North MB and Sunset, may be more family friendly, quiet; I don't want to have to fight traffic daily to/fro in order to drive to the attractions, or to get into MB. Is there much else there at those locations other then the beaches?

We've been going to the Smokys for the last 20 years, so I know what it's like to fight crowds and traffic.
    Speaking for Surfside and Garden City, no there aren't a whole lot of attractions besides the beach outside of a few good restaurants, shops, and maybe an arcade. We would go to Myrtle Beach two or three nights out of the week for a theater show or to Barefoot Landing or something so it wasn't that big of a hassle. But if you plan on going to Myrtle Beach every evening looking for something to do, you're right, you'll want to stay at Myrtle I would think. I know how easily bored teenagers can get. Our biggest attraction is always the sand and the waves though, just thinking about it makes me jealous on this rainy day!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I had a layover in Jacksonville last month and I went up to Jekyll Island one afternoon. I kind of liked it there, but I don't have teenagers. Myrtle is probably better for young folk who might get bored easily.

Turn Off Ads?