Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Myrtle Beach

  1. #1
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,682

    Myrtle Beach

    The wife wants to take the family vacation to Myrtle Beach this summer. We've never been there, so I'm asking for recommendations/advice on places to stay and attractions from those that have.

    Thanks!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    We rented a house in North Myrtle Beach the last 3 years. We really liked it. It had a private pool and a golf cart to drive to the beach. The beach was across the street.

    There is a tone of stuff to do with kids, that is why we went. Water parks, nascar parks, amusement rides, boardwalk,golf, etc. It is made for familes.

    First deside if you want to rent a home, or a condo. The condo might have a view of the ocean, but it might be on the 15 floor. You have long rides back and forth to the pool.

    The myrtle beach chamber of commerce sent us a ton of stuff.

    We also got on-line and searched Myrtle Beach rentals. Both houses, and condo's. This is the best way because it eliminates the middle-man most of the time and you get it a little cheaper when people rent out their property themselves.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    dont stay at a place called captains quarters--we stayed there about 3 years ago-elevators didnt work half the time--the rooms werent all that---we stood in line for an hour to register when we got there and everyone in line in front of me seemed to have a customer service issue(plus it was like 98 degrees every day with the humidity to match---ugh!!! )

  5. #4
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    dont stay at a place called captains quarters--we stayed there about 3 years ago-elevators didnt work half the time--the rooms werent all that---we stood in line for an hour to register when we got there and everyone in line in front of me seemed to have a customer service issue(plus it was like 98 degrees every day with the humidity to match---ugh!!! )
    Well it's not the Maine....It's South Carolina in the Summer...
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    I would suggest looking into some of the beaches around Myrtle such as Surfside and Garden City Beaches which are about 10 miles south of Myrtle. We have vacationed at Surfside several times, it's more of a family beach, not too crowded, and you can still go to Myrtle Beach area for the nightlife, shows, etc. Myrtle Beach in the summer is just too crowded to enjoy yourself with a family IMO...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  7. #6
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,162

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    We stayed in a house in Surfside the last time we were there. Very nice. Fairly quiet.

    If you're driving down be sure to allow yourself an extra 3 hours to drive the last 10 miles.

  8. #7
    Go Deacs
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    29

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Better yet try Ocean Isle or Sunset Beaches about 30 min ride from Myrtle great beaches and few crowds. I have some contacts for Condo rentals at reasonable rates.

  9. #8
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,888

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by WSNCWFU#1 View Post
    Better yet try Ocean Isle or Sunset Beaches about 30 min ride from Myrtle great beaches and few crowds. I have some contacts for Condo rentals at reasonable rates.
    I would make the same recommendation. The Brunswick Islands, which include Ocean Isle, Sunset, Holden and Long Beaches, are in extreme southern North Carolina. All are within one hour at most of Myrtle Beach.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  10. #9
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,682

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Thanks for all your suggestions guy. I've spent the last 2 hours kinda browsing hotels/resorts in MB just to get a feel. We're looking at staying 5 nights (6/28-7/3). A few places I have noted have quoted me rates around $750 for that time frame, which is what I want to spend. I have 3 teenagers so I want to be near attractions for them obviously. But it's my vacation too, so I want to be able to relax while they can go to stuff within walking distance.

    While those other locations some have mentioned, like North MB and Sunset, may be more family friendly, quiet; I don't want to have to fight traffic daily to/fro in order to drive to the attractions, or to get into MB. Is there much else there at those locations other then the beaches?

    We've been going to the Smokys for the last 20 years, so I know what it's like to fight crowds and traffic.

    Quote Originally Posted by WSNCWFU#1 View Post
    Better yet try Ocean Isle or Sunset Beaches about 30 min ride from Myrtle great beaches and few crowds. I have some contacts for Condo rentals at reasonable rates.
    I would be interested to know some of those locations and rates. Thank you.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-19-2008 at 07:05 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #10
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Greg,
    I have family that owns property and rents it out down there, I believe it is a condo with pool etc. I can give you their email address if you would like. As far as what attractions are near it I don't know you would have to ask them. I think that they told me $500.00 a week. Like I am going to pay them that, when I could hijac a ride with their mother and father and stay for free.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-19-2008 at 01:58 PM.

  12. #11
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I would suggest looking into some of the beaches around Myrtle such as Surfside and Garden City Beaches which are about 10 miles south of Myrtle. We have vacationed at Surfside several times, it's more of a family beach, not too crowded, and you can still go to Myrtle Beach area for the nightlife, shows, etc. Myrtle Beach in the summer is just too crowded to enjoy yourself with a family IMO...
    I'll second that. North Myrtle Beach isn't bad either.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While those other locations some have mentioned, like North MB and Sunset, may be more family friendly, quiet; I don't want to have to fight traffic daily to/fro in order to drive to the attractions, or to get into MB. Is there much else there at those locations other then the beaches?

    We've been going to the Smokys for the last 20 years, so I know what it's like to fight crowds and traffic.
    Speaking for Surfside and Garden City, no there aren't a whole lot of attractions besides the beach outside of a few good restaurants, shops, and maybe an arcade. We would go to Myrtle Beach two or three nights out of the week for a theater show or to Barefoot Landing or something so it wasn't that big of a hassle. But if you plan on going to Myrtle Beach every evening looking for something to do, you're right, you'll want to stay at Myrtle I would think. I know how easily bored teenagers can get. Our biggest attraction is always the sand and the waves though, just thinking about it makes me jealous on this rainy day!
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  14. #13
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,682

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Greg, I have family that owns property and rents it out down there, I believe it is a condo with pool etc. I can give you their email address if you would like. As far as what attractions are near it I don't know you would have to ask them.
    Any information you can give me I would appreciate Ken. Talk to them, and if needed I'll PM you my email where they can send me info and possibly answer an questions I may have.... Is it in MB? If not, then how close? What is nearby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Speaking for Surfside and Garden City, no there aren't a whole lot of attractions besides the beach outside of a few good restaurants, shops, and maybe an arcade. We would go to Myrtle Beach two or three nights out of the week for a theater show or to Barefoot Landing or something so it wasn't that big of a hassle. But if you plan on going to Myrtle Beach every evening looking for something to do, you're right, you'll want to stay at Myrtle I would think. I know how easily bored teenagers can get.
    If it was just me and the wife, then those "remote" locations sound ideal. But with three teens, they'd probably get pretty bored looking for something to do other then the beach.

    And just like when we go to Gatlinburg, we enjoy walking around and having easy access to all the various shops/attractions, without a lot of driving to and fro to get there, and ESPECIALLY sitting in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get there daily.

    I'd just as soon find a place somewhere in MB where I can do my thing (vegetate), at my pace and leisure, and the teens can do theirs.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #14
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Any information you can give me I would appreciate Ken. Talk to them, and if needed I'll PM you my email where they can send me info and possibly answer an questions I may have.... Is it in MB? If not, then how close? What is nearby?
    I emailed them earlier and cc you.

    They haven't responded as of yet, perhaps they will email you directly.

  16. #15
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Myrtle Beach

    I went to MB a couple of summers ago. I wouldn't go back if it were free. The hotel was amazing though. It was the Marriot Resort. I can't recall the name. It was about 200 a night I think.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25