Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Amazing play by Phillips

Amazing play by Phillips

Just saw Phillips getting top web gem for his two plays tonight. The first where he made the throw from the shortstop side of the bag was simply incredible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amazing play by Phillips

Yeah, incredible. Spectacular stuff, I love Phillips.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Yeah, incredible. Spectacular stuff, I love Phillips.
    Careful though. We don't want him getting to good and becoming a superstar or too elite.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Haunted by walks

I like the way Phillips just owns the field. When you think about how Edwin struggles to get comfortable out there, and may yet become smoother, Phillips treats the field like his playground. It's like the field fits as well as his favorite glove. Eric Davis was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I like the way Phillips just owns the field. When you think about how Edwin struggles to get comfortable out there, and may yet become smoother, Phillips treats the field like his playground. It's like the field fits as well as his favorite glove. Eric Davis was like that.
    That's a great post. Incredibly insightful.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Phillips and Patterson are the 2 Reds, and only 2 Reds right now, that I feel completely comfortable everytime a ball is hit to them.

Patterson seems to have infinite range. I haven't seen that kind of Reds CF defense since Mike Cameron.

Phillips has SS range for a 2B, which is always a great thing. I'm hoping he continues to elevate his defensive game so that Hudson and Utley have years of competition for the NL 2B GG.

As for the rest of the Reds, I cringe everytime EE has an easy play, as IIRC he makes the ridiculously tough ones look easy yet struggles with the routine plays.

With Keppinger, I always know there will be a ball or two a game he won't get to due to limited range, but he makes the routine ones, so I don't have any knocks on him. Keppinger is Jeter, defensively to me, at least.

I don't have a lot of confidence with Da Pickin' Machine @ 1B, and I haven't seen enough of Votto @ 1B to really get a gauge on him, yet.

Dunn's made me scratch my head so far this year in LF. Seems like he's noticeably better on two good pegs, but I still know that Dunn's not in the lineup for his D, so with him I take what I can get, and set the bar low.

Every ball, and I mean every ball, hit to Griffey I fully expect to drop in front of him. I honestly feel that he's a worse RF than Dunn is a LF. Griffey still has a little bit of an arm left, but it doesn't make up for his anemic (maybe I mean amoebic, Hell, maybe I mean both) range.

As for behind the plate, I never want to see Javier Valentin back there ever again for the Reds. Like ever. I think Bako calls an above average game, and I like how he's handled the toddlers so far. I haven't seen enough innings of Bako behind the plate to notice how he blocks balls, but he seems to throw better than advertised. Ross, on the other hand, doesn't seem to receive the ball well at all, whether it's just catching pitches, or receiving balls for a play at the plate. Ross does, however, seem to throw well.

Phillips certainly has been impressive so far with the glove. The season is still very young, but I have actually been most impressed by his IsoD. So far it stands at .062, much higher than his career mark of .045. If Phillips can maintain his .340-.350 OBP it will help the team a great deal, even if his SLG hovers around .430.

Turn Off Ads?