Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone hate Arroyo now?

Why does everyone hate Arroyo now?

Over the past few days, I feel like I've read at least ten separate posts in different threads about how Arroyo is "no longer a major league average starter," about how Wayne's move to get him is "no longer working out," and about how we should "trade him immediately in order to get back a RH bat" or "replace him with Matt Belisle as soon as possible" (not direct quotes, but I think you are familiar with these complaints). While I don't necessarily disagree with trading Bronson for the right return, I can't help but think that our group brain is going a little bit batty right now.

Arroyo is only two starts into his season so far. He is 0-1, but has also struck out 14 batters in 15 innings, and has posted similar peripheral numbers to his underrated 2007, when a 9-15 record obscured the fact that, minus a bit of luck, he was performing very similarly to 2006. That year, if you remember, we all loved him and nearly crowned him prince of Cincinnati.

Starting pitching is not this franchise's new calling card. Not yet. Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez might dominate the rest of the season, but they also might implode and get demoted for more seasoning. Matt Belisle might come back and perform like Bronson's easy replacement, but he also might not come back at all. Homer Bailey isn't ready and Josh Fogg sucks.

Yes, the Reds do need a few more things on this team to make it go. However, I don't think unloading one of the two proven, steady performers in the rotation is a wise way to go about it--and certainly not when we're only 14 games into the season. Arroyo is not Johan Santana. He's not even Aaron Harang. But he's also not Josh Fogg, he's reasonably young, and he's signed to a fairly decent contract for a few years. Let's not rush to get rid of him. Not yet.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

Re: Why does everyone hate Arroyo now?

Arroyo's xFIP, which helps adjust for the unusually high (and probably unlucky) HR/F rate he's had thus far, is 4.29. That's actually lower than he's averaged over the last seaveral years (League average is around 4.40). His strikeout rate has been up so far this season, and his walk rate is right where it normally is. Fangraphs has his fastball velocity at down 0.7 mph this season, which I have to think is within the margin of error on those measures. ...

So I'm not seeing anything in his numbers to indicate that he's a different pitcher than he has been the last two seasons. We'll see, of course, but I'm not particularly worried about him right now.

The time to trade him was after the 2006 season, when his ERA topped his FIP by a good 0.8 runs. I wouldn't be upset about a trade now if they got a good return, but it seems like they'd be best served by waiting until his stock rose a little bit.
    -j
    Last edited by JinAZ; 04-16-2008 at 03:24 AM.

A voice calling for posters to be more level headed?

First week, we were good, better than the diamond backs they said... Playoff bound!

Now we're doomed. Its hopeless. We stink. We'll be lucky to win 70.

Yawn. The melodrama this season for whatever reason has gone hysterically overboard. The game theads are a dump and almost unbearable.

The sad thing is only ORG members are posting in that thead. You would think such members would know better than to spout some of the crud I've read. Keep an even keel, level head. Its pretty pathetic - but that's just this man's humble opinion.

I view those posts calling for the trade of arroyo after 2 starts the same as I do those calling the offense a bust 15 games in, or those calling for krivsky's head so soon... Rubbish, short sighted, and usually a waste of time to read.

Feel free to slam my post all you want, but coming off a pretty fun offseason for a redszone poster, this has been my least favorite last 3 or so weeks on here... Ever...
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I like Arroyo he will be solid. As a whole i discount most reactionary posters as fans who have very little understanding of the Game. If that comes across as arrogant so be it. It is far better than fans who are fair weather and judge a player by few games and decide to throw players under the bus.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post

First week, we were good, better than the diamond backs they said... Playoff bound!

Yawn. The melodrama this season for whatever reason has gone hysterically overboard. The game theads are a dump and almost unbearable.

The sad thing is only ORG members are posting in that thead. You would think such members would know better than to spout some of the crud I've read. Keep an even keel, level head. Its pretty pathetic - but that's just this man's humble opinion.

I view those posts calling for the trade of arroyo after 2 starts the same as I do those calling the offense a bust 15 games in, or those calling for krivsky's head so soon... Rubbish, short sighted, and usually a waste of time to read.

Feel free to slam my post all you want, but coming off a pretty fun offseason for a redszone poster, this has been my least favorite last 3 or so weeks on here... Ever...
    What he said.

This is the post of the year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Serenity Now

I think this team is somewhere between Arizona and San Francisco on the talent scale.

Why the hatin'.

I also think there are too many "Posts of the Year" given out. Perhaps we should consult the Academy. That seems like a violation.

I'm with you on this. While I'm the eternal optimist, I think I've been fairly tempered in the realities we face this season. I think we have a core that can lead to a good team - but we're not there yet. The weaknesses, at times, at glaring and this is one of those times where they're fairly apparent. But it is very early. We've got some folks due back and some roster shuffling to do when those things occur. Any team can use bolstering and it wouldn't hurt here, but I think Bronson's one of the bright spots.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

As a collective RZ will always be bi-polar, its just a by product of the success of the site. RZ has 2350 active members. If just 3% of them are reactionary we have 70+ posters going schitzo at any one time.

GL

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think the real reason Arroyo's catching some heat this year thus far is that his production is slipping while his contract (next year and in the future) is increasing.

I hope Arroyo can return to form. His curveball fits in nicely with a staff of younger, harder throwers.
    sorry we're boring

We're fans, and fans are irrational and impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I also think there are too many "Posts of the Year" given out. Perhaps we should consult the Academy. That seems like a violation.
    Post of the Year.

Sorry, FCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    We're fans, and fans are irrational and impatient.
    I totally agree on this. If we didn't love the Reds, we wouldn't bother.

Of course, after eight years, I'm not sure impatient is the correct word.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?