Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I do something like that, you do not challenge me.-Marty

Porkchop Sandwiches

I do something like that, you do not challenge me.-Marty

Overheard in the top of the 1st from Marty as he covered the mic. Any clue what he was talking about, to whom?

Context: Right before that I think Brantley said strike while Marty said ball?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I do something like that, you do not challenge me.-Marty

Nobody wearing a pink shirt should ever talk tough to someone bigger then him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Nobody told Rob Butcher about the Fogg news, so when Marty said it, Butcher freaked out and came rolling into the booth....and I guess Marty didn't like his tone, and being questioned when he was told by the manager to go ahead and use that information.

All is fine now

He was trying to get Jeff to take over the call....I think that's where the "ball" "strike" thing happened....Jeff was taking over, while Marty was trying to do his job while tending to Rob's issue.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-19-2008 at 01:55 PM.

I heard that. They were upset with their "Soulman" routine getting interupted.....tell it like it is bra

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I was driving with the car radio on and wasn't paying strict attention when this happened so I caught only the last sentence or so of Marty's tirade.

Could someone refer me to a recorded version of this or can you give me a sanitized version of what he said?

Thanks in advance. You guys always seem to come through on requests like this.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Nobody told Rob Butcher about the Fogg news, so when Marty said it, Butcher freaked out and came rolling into the booth....and I guess Marty didn't like his tone, and being questioned when he was told by the manager to go ahead and use that information.

All is fine now

He was trying to get Jeff to take over the call....I think that's where the "ball" "strike" thing happened....Jeff was taking over, while Marty was trying to do his job while tending to Rob's issue.
    Do you have a link to that or is that protected by MLB media? Just curious.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

MLB's in charge of the game archives....I have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

All is fine now

Maybe this is enough to get Butcher fired?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Maybe this is enough to get Butcher fired?
    Interesting.

I've heard so many conflicting reports on Rob Butcher. Once in awhile I'll hear from someone that he's the best PR guy in the business and then I'll hear what a hack he is.

If he challenged any broadcaster, whether it was Marty, Jeff, Vin Scully, or anyone while they were on the air, that's the height of disrespect and arrogance. I don't blame Marty one bit. It could have waited until the next break or whatever.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

On the TV side today, the "boys" were singing Butcher's sainthood song......I bet TeamClark got a stabbing sensation about the same time....what ya say TC?
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I was driving with the car radio on and wasn't paying strict attention when this happened so I caught only the last sentence or so of Marty's tirade.

Could someone refer me to a recorded version of this or can you give me a sanitized version of what he said?

Thanks in advance. You guys always seem to come through on requests like this.
    At first, you could hear Marty in the background saying "Do you think I'm f***ing stupid?" then a few seconds later was when he said "Don't ever challenge me on something like that again."

I wasn't quite sure what it was about either. Interesting that Butcher ran over there so quickly.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    On the TV side today, the "boys" were singing Butcher's sainthood song......I bet TeamClark got a stabbing sensation about the same time....what ya say TC?
    Usually I just roll my eyes. Sometimes I dry heave, Marty's comments today made me smile like a proud father.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Gawd, Marty can't retire soon enough for me. I'm no Butcher fan (he's a terrible PR guy), but the whole, "Don't ever challenge me again" bravado is so typical Marty these days. I don't think there's anyone in the sport with a more deluded perception of his own importance than Marty Brenneman. The sad thing is, he used to a total professional, and that's what he's lost that saddens me the most. He lacks the professionalism that his profession calls for.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-21-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It was difficult to hear; my immediate thought was that Marty had turned off his microphone and we were hearing his "private" conversation with Butcher through Brantley's mike.
    I didn't hear Butcher's end of the conversation. I also didn't hear Marty drop the f-bomb, although that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    To paraphrase Marty (or at least what I could hear of Marty), he told Butcher not to come in and challenge something he's said while he's on the air.
    He expressed irritation that Butcher would assume he would make such a pronouncement (Belisle being called up, Fogg to the bullpen) without being certain of its accuracy.
    And he said (and I heard this clearly), "I know because Dusty Baker told me so."
    It's Marty's booth; he was on the air live when Butcher stormed in; I have no problem with his reaction. I don't believe he intended it to be heard by the radio audience.
    This isn't the first time (Stanton's pending release comes to mind) that Dusty has refused to play the Krivsky/Butcher "cone of silence" charade. Hats off to him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Gawd, Marty can't retire soon enough for me. I'm no Butcher fan (he's a terrible PR guy), but the whole, "Don't ever challenge me again" bravado is so typical Marty these days. I don't think there's anyone in the sport with a more deluded perception of his own importance than Marty Brenneman. The sad thing is, he used to a total professional, and that's what he's lost that saddens me the most. He lacks the professionalism that his profession calls for.
    What?

Some guys storms into the booth during a live radio broadcast and challenges what you've said. First of all, it was totally inappropriate for Butcher to come in and tell Marty he was wrong during live mike. Secondly, from what I heard, Butcher kept running his mouth and Marty felt the need to stop that then and there. Who's the professional here? How many would have gone on with pbp with that going on?

If you don't like Marty, fine, but this was a case of a PR guy doing something that's unheard of in broadcasting. Try that at ESPN or any major network and see what happens. I've been there and I know. I've seen it first hand and it's handled off the air and not during the broadcast.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?