Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone impressed with Cueto today?

Anyone impressed with Cueto today?

Looked like he was relying on his changeup a lot but man this kid's got his sh!t together to be so young. Hitting corners like Maddux, Im more impressed each time out. If I had one thing I'd like to see him do is just get real nasty and mean and start giving guys a bunch of chin music and then he would just own the outside part of the plate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone impressed with Cueto today?

7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

He was very impressive. It's a shame we couldn't get him the W.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I've been impressed with him, both today and all season.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was looking forward to see how Cueto did today on account of him facing this same dangerous Brewers team last week. I think his start today was very telling. He left a few balls over the plate today but still pitched more than well enough to get the W. In my head, he's had four starts this year and the offense has mustered only ten runs total in those four games.

Is there any reason for concern regarding Cueto and giving up the long ball? He's given up a HR in each of his four starts and two against Pittsburgh. You forget he is a 22 year old rookie but that's the only complaint I could come up with so far..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Is there any reason for concern regarding Cueto and giving up the long ball? He's given up a HR in each of his four starts and two against Pittsburgh. You forget he is a 22 year old rookie but that's the only complaint I could come up with so far..
    Yeah, his results remind me a lot of Harang. Low ERA, pitch-efficient, lots of Ks, few walks, works out of trouble, but prone to the long ball. But, like Harang, the vast majority of the HRs are solo shots.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Flyball tendencies. 34.9% GB so far this year will not play well in GABP...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Flyball tendencies. 34.9% GB so far this year will not play well in GABP...
    He doesn't throw a sinking fastball, so he's going to be HR-prone if he leaves the ball in the hitting zone.

The key for him will be command -- if he can keep working the corners effectively with velocity, he should be just fine.

I also like that his pitch-efficiency is protecting his arm. He's making it easy for the Reds to keep his pitch counts under control.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

He's phenomenal. I have no idea what people like FCB are crticizing when alluding to his flaws. The guy has composure, control, and an electric arsenal, all in spades. He should have started the season in the rotation; he should be allowed to make his 25+ starts assuming the proper pitch count restrictions each outing; and he is already perhaps the best starter on the staff. Facing the Brewers offense twice in such a short span, and still being so effective and unpredictable in his patterns. He's fantastic.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Bill Hall was impressed (still). From Trent:

The Brewers were the first team to see Reds rookie Johnny Cueto for a second time, and at least one Brewer was still impressed. "He's got tremendous stuff, I think he's definitely going to be a mainstay in the league," Hall said. "He's a big-time pitcher. He has a hard slider, he throws hard, has a good changeup as well. He's got really great stuff. You've got to make sure you stay patient with him because he throws anything in any count."

Ive liked what Ive seen so far from him this season.
    I really like that he doesn't seem to lose his cool when something goes wrong.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Impressed? Heck yes.

Wait until it gets warm and he can really get loose.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    He's phenomenal. I have no idea what people like FCB are crticizing when alluding to his flaws. The guy has composure, control, and an electric arsenal, all in spades. He should have started the season in the rotation; he should be allowed to make his 25+ starts assuming the proper pitch count restrictions each outing; and he is already perhaps the best starter on the staff. Facing the Brewers offense twice in such a short span, and still being so effective and unpredictable in his patterns. He's fantastic.
    Pretty sure FCB was criticizing Volquez, not Cueto.

FCB mentioned he thought the best way to handle Cueto was to limit his IP by having him pitch out of the pen, and then graduate to the rotation.

The way I see it, we can either limit Cueto's IP, or we can limit his pitches. Either way, I don't want to see him going much over 175 IP, or 3000 pitches for the year.

I was at the game today and I was very impressed with Johnny Cueto. Considering this was his second start against the Brewers in less than two weeks made is that more impressive. Just like his last start, the defense behind him was awful. That infield "hit" but Jason Kendall was an error. It was a routine groundball to Keppinger and his throw pulled Votto off the bag but somehow it was ruled a hit. And from where I was sitting, Kendall's double in the 7th inning should have been caught. It looked like Griff was sort of fooled which caused him to take a bad route to the ball. Overall, a very good outing. He blew a 95 mph fastball right past Ryan Braun to end the first inning. I couldn't believe that ball Corey Hart hit left the ballpark...it looked like a double off the wall coming off the bat. Through 26.1 innings Cueto has allowed only 19 baserunners and has a 3 BB/29 K ratio. Simply phenomenal.

BTW Hunter Wendelstedt is simply an awful umpire. I thought Ron Kulpa, the guy who umped Volquez's start in Chicago was bad, but Hunter Wendelstedt may be worse. What the heck does this guy have against the Reds? IIRC this is the same guy who called the horrible strike three call on Valentin to end the game in the final game of the series against the Phillies a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

BTW Hunter Wendelstedt is simply an awful umpire. I thought Ron Kulpa, the guy who umped Volquez's start in Chicago was bad, but Hunter Wendelstedt may be worse. What the heck does this guy have against the Reds? IIRC this is the same guy who called the horrible strike three call on Valentin to end the game in the final game of the series against the Phillies a couple weeks ago.
    Hunter wouldn't be a MLB umpire if his poppa didn't have the pull to get him there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Oops, I forgot to mention the other "defensive gem." I know Dunn didn't make the best throw in the world but Bako needs to block that ball. Both runners were going to stay put until Bako let that ball get past him. That unearned run turned out to be the deciding factor in the game. Weathers pitched like crap but it shouldn't have come to that. The Reds offense was once again putrid and were the main reason the Reds lost today. How many well pitched games are they going to blow? They've scored a grand total of 10 runs in Cueto's four starts.

Turn Off Ads?