Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weathers Leaves Game With Elbow Injury

Weathers Leaves Game With Elbow Injury

That didn't look good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers Leaves Game With Elbow Injury

no it didn't... Weathers isn't having the best year but he did have a great year last season and you never want to see that to happen to anyone. I guess that solves the problem of who goes down when Belisle comes up Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    no it didn't... Weathers isn't having the best year but he did have a great year last season and you never want to see that to happen to anyone. I guess that solves the problem of who goes down when Belisle comes up Monday.
    You're right. But it doesn't solve the problem of who goes down to make room for Bray. There is no reason for him to be in Louisville right now, they still need to think about a Coffey for Bray switch perhaps. Hope Weathers is okay...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Per Roto
    David Weathers left Saturday's game in the 10th inning with an apparent elbow injury.
    It didn't look good. Weathers clearly felt something in his elbow go while delivering a pitch that ended up well wide of home plate, and he signaled for the trainer immediately. Expect him to spend some time on the DL. Jared Burton will take over as the primary setup man, and Bill Bray could be recalled to help out.

Could that have been Weathers last pitch thrown as a professional in a MLB game?

I posted this in the Belisle thread:

I wonder how long Weathers has had elbow issues. His K Rate took a huge drop in the middle of 2007 and hasn't rebounded. I'd bet the daily use in the first half of 2007 took its toll. Another parting gift courtesy of Jerry Narron and the horrible collection of cast-offs that WK assembled as a pen in 2007??
    It could be nothing I guess, but it looks bad when a guy like Weathers chooses to come out of the game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I forgot to mention it was absolutely shameful for Weathers to get booed as he left the mound after getting injured. Perhaps the fans (?) didn't realize he was leaving because of the injury, but nonetheless it was ridiculous and embarassing.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Weathers due for an MRI in 15 minutes per FSN postgame.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Yeah, classless of the crowd to boo him. That was ignorant, and it was embarrassing as you said. Clearly something was wrong. From the way it looked, his fingers were numb, so perhaps some kind of nerve injury in the elbow? That may have been the last pitch Weathers will throw as a member of the Reds bullpen.

If so, thanks for the service Stormy.

Haunted by walks

Weathers has been pitching on willpower for the last two seasons, and the elbow finally officially gave out.

it was absolutely shameful for Weathers to get booed as he left the mound after getting injured. Perhaps the fans (?) didn't realize he was leaving because of the injury, but nonetheless it was ridiculous and embarassing.
    The fan culture around the Reds is awful. I don't know why, but I have my suspicions. Franchester Brennaman has sown the seeds of negativity on a daily basis for years, and I think he, like the average guy who grew up with the BRM, feels a sense of entitlement, as if after watching a great team for years (and a solid team for years after that), it is now a personal affront for the hometown team to struggle. I can only imagine the toxicity that is visited on the fanbase, and on to the franchise, via the sulphurous daily eructation that is sportstalk radio. Combined with the extended national joke that was made of the Bengals, the mediocrity that has saddled the Reds has also saddled them with a disaffected, unappreciative place to play. I wish my hometown would wake up and realize it needs major league baseball a whole lot more than major league baseball needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The fan culture around the Reds is awful. I don't know why, but I have my suspicions. Franchester Brennaman has sown the seeds of negativity on a daily basis for years, and I think he, like the average guy who grew up with the BRM, feels a sense of entitlement, as if after watching a great team for years (and a solid team for years after that), it is now a personal affront for the hometown team to struggle.
    I listened to the first six innings on radio today since I was in the car. The seeds of negativity were nowhere to be found. I must admit, it's hard to be positive when your team just doesn't make any sense, though. After seven going on eight years of not just losing but losing bad, and living with it 162 games a year, you just might get a little negative if you are human. If fans wanted to see a loser all the time, they might just let MLB move the team. Isn't the object of the game to win?

I had no idea that Weathers was hurt and having been at the ballpark many times, that sometimes is the case. All the fans knew was that Weathers allowed a hit that had probably doomed their team for the 7th time in 8 games after marvelous pitching from Cueto, Cordero, and others. I admit that I had returned home by the end and was watching and when Dusty came out (I missed him motioning to the dugout which many people probably did), and I immediately thought that Dusty must really be hacked off to pull a pitcher in the middle of a batter. It wasn't until Burton stuck the batter out than I knew he was injured.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Has his velocity been noticeably down? Often, in retrospect, these injuries aren't quite as "all of a sudden" as they seem.

It's a shame, though. Weathers has pitched his guts out for this team the last few years. Hope this injury is nothing serious.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Could that have been Weathers last pitch thrown as a professional in a MLB game?
    I certainly hope it isn't.

For the better part of 2 years, David Weathers has been the relief-equivalent of Atlus -- bearing the entire weight of the Reds pitching staff on his shoulders. For two years, he was the only person coming out of the bullpen that didn't make me cringe on a nightly basis. He didn't have "closer stuff," but he always seemed able to throw the big pitch at the right time. He could make a Doc Brown 88 MPH fastball look electric in the bottom of the ninth.

He's been a warrior and I, for one, would be sad to see him go.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

is it possible they were booing the top notch umpiring?

Turn Off Ads?