Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Phillips bunt?

Why doesn't Phillips bunt?

I thought Dusty was Mr. Small Ball. I've seen him sacrifice with every player except Jr. and Dunn but not with Brandon. It's not that I'm advocating it nor am I putting this on Brandon. Today in the 1st and 10th innings the Reds had a speedy runner on 1st with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out respectively and Dusty doesn't even have Brandon square around. Do 30 HR hitters not have to sacrifice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why doesn't Phillips bunt?

He was keeping the brewers off guard
    Go Gators!

This doesn't answer why Phillips didn't bunt today.

I have been wondering where the rest of his hitting game is and if it is going to improve.

When Phillips came we were given a picture of a young ss or second baseman with skills but a love for the homerun suggesting that it was hurting his development at the plate. I am wondering if Phillips hitting 30 last year and being put in the cleanup spot this year might be hindering his over all ability to grow into a more productive hitter, getting on base via walks, bat control, hitting to various fields in the different situations that come up along with power numbers and yes bunting taking advantage of his speed when merited.

Phillips needs to stop sucking posthaste.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The way he's swinging every time, it looks like he's got 40-40 on the brain. Someone needs to smack him in the back of the head and remind him that doubles and singles are his friend, posthaste.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    So does Adam Dunn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Dunn: .200/.423/.360 (.783 OPS)
    Phillips: .269/.329/.403 (.733 OPS)

Both guys need to step it up for sure. Nobody is really lighting it up. Of the expected contributors, only Votto, Keppinger, and EE are really pulling their weight. Just for reference...

Code:
    Player 		AB+BB	OPS	Career OPS
    Keppinger	82	.873	.811	
    Bako		54	.868	.624
    Encarnacion	74	.862	.796
    Votto		47	.851	.915
    Griffey		77	.777	.927
    Dunn		74	.753	.898
    Patterson	65	.732	.712
    Phillips	78	.709	.725
    Freel		31	.581	.733
    Hopper		27	.561	.760
    Valentin	25	.541	.707
    Hatteberg	32	.533	.773
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You can't blame Brandon for going for the long ball. 30/30 got him a multi-year big money deal here.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Corey Patterson is OPSing better than his career average.

Now there is a scary thought.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You can't blame Brandon for going for the long ball. 30/30 got him a multi-year big money deal here.
    No but are they doing what is best for his development and the team? I thought that he might have superstar written in his future "if".

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The way he's swinging every time, it looks like he's got 40-40 on the brain. Someone needs to smack him in the back of the head and remind him that doubles and singles are his friend, posthaste.
    I agree.
    I thought that if he was gettnig those singles and doubles that homeruns would follow when he is swinging the bat well.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    No but are they doing what is best for his development and the team? I thought that he might have superstar written in his future "if".

"The team" gave him a multi year deal for hitting 30 HRs and stealing 30 bases, playing great defense and being a good ambassador to the fans. If he'd done all that but only hit 10 HRs last year, he'd be going to arbitration with the Reds instead of getting that multi-year deal. They are paying him to hit those HRs so why should he do any different?

That is one of the paradoxes of professional sports. What's good for the player may not be good for the team and vice versa.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Good points. It will all work out.

Brandon reminds me of a not so pleasant player from the past. If you remember one Pokey Reece. Pokey hit a few dingers and it went to his head. He swing for the fences on every at-bat. It finally became his downfall.

Watching Phillips the last 10 games, he's swinging harder than normal and trying to hit the ball out. Surely someone else has noticed this that matters and will work with him.

Oc course this may be much ado about nothing. He's a streak hitter and he's not in a strak right now. I just hope he comes around.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Brandon reminds me of a not so pleasant player from the past. If you remember one Pokey Reece. Pokey hit a few dingers and it went to his head. He swing for the fences on every at-bat. It finally became his downfall.

Watching Phillips the last 10 games, he's swinging harder than normal and trying to hit the ball out. Surely someone else has noticed this that matters and will work with him.

Oc course this may be much ado about nothing. He's a streak hitter and he's not in a strak right now. I just hope he comes around.
    With the offense struggling, he could be trying to do too much as well. Trying to get 8 runs with every AB.

Turn Off Ads?