Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Predictions Ohio State vs. Miami

I did know that...and did you know that the last time team mates were both candites for the Heisman that team didn't win the National Championship.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Miami 47
    Ohio St. 21

Dorsey really hasn't had a Heisman like season in my opinion. McGahee, yes. I hope that Ohio St. rips them a new one, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Originally posted by BuckeyeRed27
    I did know that...and did you know that the last time team mates were both candites for the Heisman that team didn't win the National Championship.
    Yes, but they did go undefeated and win a bowl game. The '94 Nittany Lions were screwed as bad as any team I've seen before. That is one of the best teams I've seen in college fottbal since I've been watching it. They were a juggernaut with an unstoppable offense.

They would have beaten Nebraska handily, IMO, had they played.

Miami - 24
    OSU - 20
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If the same pass rush that repeatedly allowed John Navarre to convert 3rd & long shows up in Tempe, Ken Dorsey is going to rip the OSU defense to shreds.

(See Nebraska - Miami, '02 Rose Bowl)

If the OSU offense can grind it out on the ground and chew up the clock, and if they can keep Dorsey from sitting in the pocket, OSU could give 'em a good game.

(See Alabama - Miami - '93 Sugar Bowl)

Buckeyes - 24
    Hurricanes - 21

I think it will be a very good game, but the Buckeyes will need to score "some" points to win. (i.e. 13 won't get it done, even with a stellar defensive effort, as I think Miami is too talented to be held to such a low point total).

I am proud of the team for making it to this game, but now I want to win sooo bad just to rub it in the faces of the people calling the Buckeyes "undeserving". It may or may not be a close game. Anyone that claims to "know" doesn't. Many variables go into every college football game. If the Canes; get on a roll early via a kick-off return or something, it could shift the tide. If the Buckeyes score 1st and can play some field position game early, it could stifle Miami. I don't know. One play early could set the tone.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Wednesday, December 18

Can the Buckeyes weather the storm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Kirk Herbstreit
    Special to ESPN.com

On paper, the national championship game between Miami and Ohio State looks like a huge mismatch. Judging solely on the Xs and Os one would think the Hurricanes would win easily because, as Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said, this 'Canes team is arguably the best in the history of college football.

Miami has one of the top three offenses in the nation along with USC and Iowa, and like the other two its strength is that is can hurt teams in so many different ways.

Ken Dorsey leads what may be the best offense in the nation.
    The Hurricanes have a quarterback in Ken Dorsey who is 38-1 as a starter, the team as a whole has won 34 straight games and the 'Canes walk into the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl feeling as though it is their game to win. The more pressure and hype, the brighter the lights and the bigger the stage, the better Miami plays.

But what has gotten coach Larry Coker's team has into trouble this year is letting its guard down and taking opponents lightly. Teams have not been able to beat Miami with schemes and physical talent, but the Hurricanes have had to battle complacency all year.

That has been the issue against teams like Florida State, Pittsburgh and even Rutgers, but now the 'Canes are playing for back-to-back national titles and a shot at rings for both their mothers and their girlfriends. You can rest assured that when they take the field in Tempe they will be incredibly focused.

A lot of people are saying that Ohio State is not worthy of being in this game, but don't tell Miami that because for it this game is not about OSU. As far as Miami is concerned any team in the nation in the other lockerrom. The 'Canes are really playing themselves.

They look in the mirror and know they have the best team in the country. It doesn't matter who they play. The Hurricanes will study and prepare for whatever that team that it happens to be and go out and play their game feeling no one can stop them. When you have won 38 of your last 39 games you are allowed to think that way.

Miami will study the Buckeyes but won't know anybody's name, just numbers. By the time the 'Canes take the field they will know the Ohio State tendencies and what they need to do to dominate the game. In their mind it is just a matter of getting on the field.

The Buckeyes, meanwhile, will come in having heard every talk show and columnist in America say for three weeks that they have no chance and are an embarrassment to the BCS. That can becomes an advantage. Hearing that over and over again gives OSU an emotional incentive -- which most think will last for the first three or four minutes of the game -- to go out and prove people wrong.

As much as the media and some college football fans want to say Ohio State is not talented enough to be on the same field with Miami, they forget the Buckeyes have a stories program that is used to playing in big games. When you tell them they have no chance it allows them to go into the game with nothing to lose.

That being said, OSU's only chance in this game is to survive the first 10 minutes. After hearing so much about Miami's expected domination, the worst thing that could happen would be for Ohio State go out and give up one of Miami's patented quick scoring drives with Dorsey and running back Willis McGahee hitting big plays. That would create too much doubt.

The Buckeyes MUST start well. They have to force a punt on Miami's first series to show themselves they can hang with the Hurricanes. On offense, they have to give the ball to Maurice Clarett but also throw the ball some in first-and-10 situations in order to pick up some first downs. They have to be able to walk to the sidelines after the first possession saying "Hey, we can play with these guys."

If Ohio State goes three-and-out and the Hurricanes turn around and get a quick score, that negative vibe OSU has been feeling for a month becomes reality. All of a sudden it has its hands full.

Whether or not the Buckeyes can survive the emotional storm of the first few minutes will tell OSU whether or not it can be competitive, because Miami is a team that can attack like an avalanche. The score might be 7-3, and the next thing you know an interception is returned for a touchdown, a punt is blocked for a TD, McGahee rips off a long scoring run and six minutes later the score is 28-3. That is something OSU will have to avoid to have a chance. be competitive.

Ohio State's offensive play calling will be affected by the way its own defense is playing. If the D can battle with the Hurricanes and not give up a lot of points, we will see a game plan similar to the one Jim Tressel has run all year: conservative, close to the vest, avoiding mistakes and relying on defense and special teams to keep his team in the game.

But if Dorsey, McGahee and friends are picking up yards and points in chunks, Tressel will obviously have to throw more on first and second down to go against tendencies.

Miami is going to come out with nine men at the line of scrimmage to try and take away tailback Maurice Clarett and the Ohio State running game. It's as simple as that. The Hurricanes will force quarterback Craig Krenzel to make plays for OSU to move the ball, but he may find it tough going against the No. 1 pass defense in the country.

Clarett is a great back and he will prove to the nation just how good he is by picking up some tough yards, but for the Buckeyes to truly move down the field they will have to mix in the play-action pass more than they have at any other point this year.

After playing Nebraska in last year's national championship game the Miami players are probably looking at OSU as the same kind of opponents. A big, strong, thick-ankled Big Ten team without much speed. But the speed of the Ohio State defense will surprise the 'Canes.

If the Ohio State defense compares to any other Miami has faced it would be a team like Pittsburgh, and if looking back at that game you will see the Panthers did a good job of mixing up their defensive looks. The Buckeyes will have to do the same thing to try and slow McGahee first, which will require sound tackling, and then try to get pressure on Dorsey.

Their only chance to win will be to hold the Hurricanes to 20 points or less.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/fiesta_guide.html

I read that article too SF, and thought it was quite inciteful.

I don't think Miami has faced a defense the likes of OSU's this year. But OSU cannot rely on it's defense to win this game for them. If OSU doesn't play ball/clock control via either the running game or some sort of balance that prevents them from too many "3 and outs"...then they will be history!

Krentzel doesn't have to have a huge game passing...just an efficient one.

And I would rather have Tressel there in this position than Cooper; but then again, Cooper would have never gotten us this far. He'd still be crying and making excuses for losing to Michigan for the umpteenth time

Miami 31, Ohio St. 20

Ohio State's defense is very tough, but Miami's offense is extremely talented and quick. Ohio State's offense does not excite me, as they seem to be too one dimensional and depend too much on Clarett. Miami can be attacked on the ground, but I gotta believe they will be fired up enough to at least contain Clarett somewhat. It has been a great season for Ohio State, but no matter how I look at it, I don't think they have the offensive firepower to outscore Miami.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

My prediction is...

Miami 31
    OSU 13

Miami is just too tough for the Bucks. I would expect that Miami would come out firing quick strikes down the field on the first possession. It could be 14 or 17 to nothing within the first 5 minutes. I just don't see the Bucks being able to stop that offense. I HATE Miami...but am not a Buckeye supporter either. I hope it is a good game, but fear another beating from the Canes. Just like every expert, the key is the first quarter. If OSU can move the ball and get a few first downs on their first few possessions, it might make it more interesting. I think that Miami will simply stack the line and make Krenzel throw down the field. I've not seen them play much this year (even though my wife is a huge fan and I'm Blue Backer), I don't know how effective he'll throwing the ball vertically down the field. The real good matchup, in my opinion is the Iowa USC game. I'm looking forward to that one more than the one for the big enchilada.
    Last edited by Virginia Beach Reds; 12-28-2002 at 09:23 PM.

OSU 21 Miami 17

I'm going to make it close...
    I honestly wonder how much the stuff going around OSU will affect the game - Clarett blowing up to the media after not being able to go to a friend's funeral in Youngstown is the latest. I can see both sides - but this might be the biggest game in Clarett college career and it's certainly one of the biggest games in OSU recent history. So you have Clarett emotionally hurt but OSU making sure that everything is going right. But OTOH, it might bring them together...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Why does this kind of crap always have to happen at such crucial times like this? GEEZ!

Personally... and though we all don't know all the facts yet. I really don't think that the OSU brass were trying to "play games" with Clarett and keep him from returning home for this friend's funeral.

People like to assume things when others simply say "no comment" (including Clarett's Mom who refuses to come out and say anything negaitve about OSU's mgt. at this point).

I do tend to want to believe that it's more a NCAA bureaucratic "snafoo" than anything else. I'm not "up" on all the by-laws and rules of the NCAA, so I could be wrong; but isn't OSU prevented from simply buying him the ticket to return home? Doesn't Clarett have to process this through the NCAA as a hardship situation?

I just don't see the "advantages" for OSU to try and screw this kid over (and I'm thinking long term here).

He's mad and upset (and rightly so). I just hope he is not allowing his emotions to cause him to needlessly lash out at this time.

THEIR AT THE POST

er um it is game time, predictions are closed......

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make me wrong boys........

Clarett is going to get crucified if OSU loses so now he's got to deliver. Go Bucks!

Originally posted by Phoenix
    Clarett is going to get crucified if OSU loses so now he's got to deliver. Go Bucks!
    And boy did he deliver just a little while go with that touchdown!

It's half time and it's 14-7 Buckeyes. GO BUCKS!!!!

Turn Off Ads?