Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Kearns on the block

Re: Kearns on the block

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h
    did you even read what prompted me to start this, i was responding to a post that said stolen bases are overrated.
    And the can be if you plop a low slugging percentage player who can only steal into a corner position.

But hey forget the over rate part, aquiring bases is never overrated, doing it at the expense of other skill sets is.

One thing for sure is Small Ball sure the hell is overrated..

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK, tired of arguing a pointless fight- I will give in, call it even, we both agree acquiring bases is not overrated, and move on, agree to disagree. Good luck to you.

He read it. did you read his response. I'll word it in reverse, kinda:

23 steals in April - .361 ob% Team made an out 64% of the time
    20 steals in May - .325 ob% Team made an out 68% of the time
    23 steals in June - .345 ob% Team made an out 65% of the time

April was a good month. Higher OBP
    June was a bad month. Lower OBP

The amount of steals was pretty consistant.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

OK, tired of arguing a pointless fight- I will give in, call it even, we both agree acquiring bases is not overrated, and move on, agree to disagree. Good luck to you.
    It's a mallable position that really depends on game situations and the current state of the game.

For instance I like steals, I like what the threat of a steal can do to any game at anytime, I just don't want to leverage that part of the game into the main resource for runs. I'd prefer the Earl Weaver method of getting that part of the game from the guys that can provide that, but Earl also prefered a 3 run inning over a 1 run inning. Small ball has its moments.. but it's still an out for a base approach at compiling runs, and it gets you closer to two positions at the same time... One the end of the game and two- One single run.

In todays game you just have to figure out when that trade really behooves your team, and on a team with a bullpen like the Reds playing for one run is a tighttrope walk over a pit of sharks being ridden by hungry grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    It's a mallable position that really depends on game situations and the current state of the game.

For instance I like steals, I like what the threat of a steal can do to any game at anytime, I just don't want to leverage that part of the game into the main resource for runs. I'd prefer the Earl Weaver method of getting that part of the game from the guys that can provide that, but Earl also prefered a 3 run inning over a 1 run inning. Small ball has its moments.. but it's still an out for a base approach at compiling runs, and it gets you closer to two positions at the same time... One the end of the game and two- One single run.

In todays game you just have to figure out when that trade really behooves your team, and on a team with a bullpen like the Reds playing for one run is a tighttrope walk over a pit of sharks being ridden by hungry grizzly bears.
    OK, now I see we agree, just going about it in different ways. I was saying what you said above, basically, by stating the poster who said stolen bases are overrated. I wasnt defending the trade proposal by any means that led to that statement, and in retrospect, should have stated that, but was simply defending against the stolen bases are pointless idea.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Isn't that a ride a Disney Land?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

whats your point?
    Now see here, this was a happy thread. Don't bring your negative vibes here. The Great Pumpkin will only give us Tejeda and Willis if we are sincere and positive with one another.

Anyone else notice this in today's Enquirer? From an article assessing the Central Division at midseason. No author credited, other than "Enquirer Staff Report". Does someone know something? Or has someone at the Enquirer just been reading this thread? Hmmmm.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...307130017/1078

Outlook: If Eric Milton finds consistency (the rotation isn’t deep), and Eddie Guardado can be a savior in the bullpen, they can make a serious run. A lot also depends on whether the team chemistry is affected by a possible blockbuster trade.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    Anyone else notice this in today's Enquirer? From an article assessing the Central Division at midseason. No author credited, other than "Enquirer Staff Report". Does someone know something? Or has someone at the Enquirer just been reading this thread? Hmmmm.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...307130017/1078
    And where there is smoke...

Obviosuly Kearns is gone. But who goes with him and who do the Reds get?

That three way trade is looking just the least little more likely now isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    Isn't that a ride a Disney Land?
    No but I know what is

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Now see here, this was a happy thread. Don't bring your negative vibes here. The Great Pumpkin will only give us Tejeda and Willis if we are sincere and positive with one another.
    No negative vibes from me! Not sure I want Tejeda, but c'mon down Willis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Obviosuly Kearns is gone. But who goes with him and who do the Reds get? That three way trade is looking just the least little more likely now isn't it?
    based on what, speculation from a writer?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    based on what, speculation from a writer?
    He is not the first writer to mention a possible trade and there is some internet scuttlebutt going around. Read the last 600 posts and you'll know what I mean. But why would a Cincy writer even mention the possibility? Wouldn't he or she know what people would do, say, and think?

Never mind.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

This is the lead story on Reds.mlb.com.

CINCINNATI -- When he assumed control of the Reds back in January, chief executive officer Bob Castellini was asked if he'd be willing to go over budget to improve his new team.
    "If we're into the middle of July and we're a contender, we're going to have to go with it and bite the bullet," Castellini said during a January press conference.

One look at the National League Central standings indicates the surprising Reds have held up their end of the bargain on the field. With the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline within sight, Castellini was prepared to honor his commitment.

"We made that commitment early on. We're contenders," Castellini said.

"I liked some of the comments some of the players made earlier in the year," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "They wanted to put ownership and the front office in a position where we would go out and be proactive. That's a good position for us to be in."

In his first year in Cincinnati, Krivsky has already swung several key trades. With the exception of his March acquisition of pitcher Bronson Arroyo, most of have been under the radar. David Ross was an unheralded catcher at San Diego and second baseman Brandon Phillips was at a career crossroads in Cleveland until Cincinnati traded for him in April.

The acquisitions have paid off. But the Reds' early flurry of moves does not guarantee more trades will be happen in the coming days or weeks.

"It has to make sense," Krivsky said. "You have to take recommendations to ownership and explain to them why you think it's right. They have every right to ask questions."

Castellini made it clear that he trusted Krivsky's baseball sense.

"We talk about general direction," Castellini said. "[Krivsky] goes out and sees what he can accomplish and we talk about it again. He's the primary generator of the energy. He's the one talking to 29 GMs every day."

The Reds' weaknesses are no secret. Their bullpen is one of the Majors' worst and the team's defense also ranks near the bottom.

Krivsky's first move in an effort to remedy the bullpen came on July 6, when the Reds acquired veteran reliever Eddie Guardado from the Mariners for Minor League pitcher Travis Chick. Guardado will assume the closer's role in a move the club hopes will help bring stability.

It's likely that more bullpen help could be sought if another match with a club can be found, which sometimes is easier said than done.

"People are going to hang on to quality pitching," Krivsky said. "You have to hope you find somebody that's maybe in a rut somewhere and maybe a change of scenery helps."

complete coverage >Another common avenue for help could be from struggling clubs looking to dump veterans and salary. The Orioles could be willing to shop right-hander LaTroy Hawkins, who was once a dominant setup man for Minnesota when Krivsky was assistant GM there. Hawkins is in the final year of a contract paying him $4.4 million this season.

Other names that could draw interest are Washington's Mike Stanton and Pittsburgh's Salomon Torres and Damaso Marte. Indians closer Bob Wickman, making $5 million, could be on the market if struggling Cleveland becomes a seller. The Angels, trying to stay alive in the AL West race, are deep with bullpen talent that includes right-handers Brendan Donnelly and Scot Shields.

Although the Reds are thin on prospects to deal from within their system, they are flush with three catchers -- a position big-league teams are often seeking to upgrade. That could make a veteran like Jason LaRue intriguing to some teams.

Just like fans and the media, players will also be paying attention to the developments.

"Coming down to July 31, it's always, 'We're going to go for it and jump in feet first, or we're out.' It's only one or the other," Arroyo said. "There's no riding the fence. You either feel like we're good enough to win and go out and get somebody we feel is going to help get over the hump, or start unloading a few people and plan for the future. I don't see the latter happening at all in the situation we're in."

4 games back in the division
    1.5 games back in wild card and the NL is weak this year.
    Something very big is going to happen very soon.

Turn Off Ads?