Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Kearns on the block

Re: Kearns on the block

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Ryan wouldn't have been on this team, anyway think Dan O would have given him that large deal last year?
    No, you're right, but imagine what we could have gotten in return for him by trading him prior to last year's deadline...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Again..Dan O

I liked the deal and I still don't mind it, 50/50 says Ryan doesn't even turn out for us, and in 99 without Guzman we fall a few games short and a riot breaks out for not trying to win.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    No, you're right, but imagine what we could have gotten in return for him by trading him prior to last year's deadline...
    Probably not much. Ryan would have already had a couple of dates with Doc Hollywood if he had been pitching for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Yes but the key word is prospect. Keep in mind he's pitching in a situation that he knows he's got no chance to be in the playoffs AND he knows he's not going to be there next year. And I don't hear a lot of people complaining about Dunn's stats being down and how he's not the player he was. Except me and I complained before they went down.
    I don't really get what you're saying here. Can you clarify?

I hear Boston has a kid, a pitcher, Ruth, that can really knock the crap out of the ball as well as pitch-unknown, he prob hits better then he pitches. I say we make a package deal for him-he must be a young'in, as they call him Babe. We better hurry with an offer though, hear the Yanks are on to him and making a move...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    I don't really get what you're saying here. Can you clarify?
    Absolutely. First, Bailey looks like he could be great but he's never pitched above AA. There is no guarantee that he will do anything in the majors. Look at Greinke or Ankiel. AAA is a long way from the Bigs and Bailey has not even pitched in AAA yet.
    Second, Willis is pitching in a difficult situation this year. He knows he's not going to be in Florida much longer and he has no idea where he will wind up. He might also be thinking that if he does stay in Florida there is no chance that the Marlins are going anywhere for at least a few more years.

22 game winner last year. If we can get him by trading a prospect(and there is a reason they call them prospects) the Reds should jump on it.

Absolutely. First, Bailey looks like he could be great but he's never pitched above AA. There is no guarantee that he will do anything in the majors. Look at Greinke or Ankiel. AAA is a long way from the Bigs and Bailey has not even pitched in AAA yet.
    Great point! Besides, if Bailey had the powers some have given him, he'd have to fight it out with Deno for control of the solar system. That, or join forces fighting evil. Sorta like "Super Friends" but without that crappy Aqua-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Great point! Besides, if Bailey had the powers some have given him, he'd have to fight it out with Deno for control of the solar system. That, or join forces fighting evil. Sorta like "Super Friends" but without that crappy Aqua-Man.
    Guys that can pop 97mph fastballs with the flick of the wrist are usually hyped up and for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Guys that can pop 97mph fastballs with the flick of the wrist are usually hyped up and for a good reason.
    Guys that can pop 97mph fastballs but lack any type of offspeed pitch are usually lit up in the majors, and for a good reason.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    You're right those were bad deals, but I still don't see how you can be excited about giving up B.J. Ryan an absolute freaking stud closer for 8-9 games of Guzman. IMO, that deal is just as bad as the two you mentioned above. The only difference is that Liriano and Kazmir are starters, not relievers.
    What I'm saying is that it's all well and good to say that now, but at the time the deal made sense. In the cases of AJ and Zambrano, neither deal even helped the team that much AND they gave up good prospects. In our case, the deal definitely did help us. Sure, in hindsight it might not look so good, but that's why prospects are called prospects: sometimes they DO pan out. It took Ryan a pretty long time to turn into a stud closer and who knows if he would have done so were he still with the Reds.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Guys that can pop 97mph fastballs but lack any type of offspeed pitch are usually lit up in the majors, and for a good reason.
    Bailey doesn't lack a offspeed pitch, that is your problem, you don't get that. It is about consistacy from that POV, which is on track. Mercy.

I completely agree with handofdeath. We are all hoping that bailey will blossom into a number one pitcher. But who knows what will happen. Willis is already proven he is a front of the rotation guy. So why wouldn't you trade a prospect for a number one. Bailey couldn't be much more then what Willis already is

Hype is nice, but this guarentees his success in the major leagues how?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Bailey doesn't lack a offspeed pitch, that is your problem, you don't get that. It is about consistacy from that POV, which is on track. Mercy.
    Semantics. He doesn't "lack" an offspeed pitch, he lacks a usuable offspeed pitch that compliments his other pitches (plus 4-seamer, plus 12-6 curve). I recall reading that he's having trouble masking the delivery of his change and that it gets telegraphed badly in its current form. That he is working on correcting that flaw doesn't negate the fact that, right now, he lacks the ability to throw that pitch at a ML level.

Unless I'm seeing different scouting reports than everyone else.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Semantics. He doesn't "lack" an offspeed pitch, he lacks a usuable offspeed pitch that compliments his other pitches (plus 4-seamer, plus 12-6 curve). I recall reading that he's having trouble masking the delivery of his change and that it gets telegraphed badly in its current form. That he is working on correcting that flaw doesn't negate the fact that, right now, he lacks the ability to throw that pitch at a ML level.

Unless I'm seeing different scouting reports than everyone else.
    Funny, everything I've read says that although he is working primarily off his plus fastball this year, that his offspeed offerings have greatly improved, and that his changeup is right now, average to slightly above. I think Homer has made great strides this year, and I fully expect him to continue improvment for his other offerings.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?